Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Parental controls (content ratings) for multiple regions

Posted by scotto74 
Parental controls (content ratings) for multiple regions
June 17, 2012 01:28AM
I'm using Priiloader to enable region free; primarily so that my kids can play an NTSC game I picked up for them while in the US, on my Australian 4.3E PAL Wii.

I have parental controls enabled on my console to prevent the kid's viewing content that is (using the Australian Classification Board ratings system):
"M" (mature audiences)
"MA15+" (mature accompanied for those under 15)
"R" (restricted to 18 and over)
"X" (restricted to 18 and over

The NTSC game I purchased obviously uses a different ratings system, from the Entertainment Software Rating Board, so even though the game is only rated "E" (everyone) to "E10+" (everyone 10+), it prompts for the 4-digit parental control PIN number when the game starts.

I'm assuming this is simply because my 4.3E system doesn't understand the ratings for the different region; so it errs on the side of caution and assumes that the content requires parental access.

For now, I've had to let my kids know the parental controls PIN number. It doesn't help that when entering the PIN with the Wii remote, the kids could see what numbers were selected; so it wasn't even possible for me to say "kids, if you want to play the game, ask me or your mother to unlock it for you", as they would pretty quickly learn what the code was! (unless I also said "...and close your eyes/turn around" ;)

Just wondering if there are any hacks, workarounds that will allow me to keep parental controls enabled on my console; but allow ESRB rated games (with a low enough rating, such as E - E10+) to be played without being prompted for the parental code?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Parental controls (content ratings) for multiple regions
June 17, 2012 02:35AM
You could load the import games with TinyLoad or Gecko OS or Riivolution. However, if you teach the kids to load import games via these methods, they may well try loading non-imported but restricted games (depending how clever your kids are :p), and discover that that will also work. So you'd be in pretty much the same position as you are now. I can't think of any way to do this only for import games.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login