Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bought preowned wii came with wiibrew i think

Posted by darksector26 
Bought preowned wii came with wiibrew i think
July 25, 2012 07:43PM
Hi All

As the title suggests i've just bought a preowned wii and its booted into a priiloader v0.1 theres no sd card in the device or one supplied. The wii boots in to system menu 4.1E fine and seems to play gamecube games fine.

All i bought the wii for was playing my old gamecube games and i'm planning on getting skyward sword and maybe some other wii games in the future. I'm not particularly interested in homebrew but as long as i'm not doing anything illegal i dont mind either keeping it.

I dont seem to be able to go on the shopping channel the wii just restarts and goes to the health and safety screen.

Basically i'm just wondering what would be best to do. I hope that makes sense, priiloader says the IOS is v60 and SystemMenu is v450 if that helps.

Many Thanks
Darksector26

EDIT: Sorry just realised i may have posted this in the wrong place. Not sure how to move the post. Sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2012 07:45PM by darksector26.
Re: Bought preowned wii came with wiibrew i think
July 25, 2012 10:09PM
If you just want to be able to use the Shop Channel, you can just update the official way through the Wii system menu's settings menu (click the "Wii" orb at the bottom left of the main Wii menu, then select "Settings", then find the "Online update" option [something like that. might be "check for update"], which I think is on the last page of the settings menu).

The only risk with this is that if your Wii is actually a Korean Wii that someone has converted to PAL (i.e. Europe), updating officially will brick the Wii. Provided the case of the Wii has not been changed, the serial number should confirm the true region (I believe European Wiis usually have serials beginning with LE). There is still a slight risk that they could have changed the region AND the case.

If you want, you can update only the Shop Channel by running the homebrew app "dop-Mii" from the Homebrew Channel, and choosing to update the Shop Channel in that app. You may also need to install/update IOS61. This way you should be safe from bricking, as it won't matter if the Wii was Korean. However, be very careful in dop-Mii not to select other options, as they could cause bricks. Don't uninstall any IOS, and don't touch any IOS other than IOS61. Also don't mess with the System Menu.

EDIT: And I moved it to "Getting started", think it fits better here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2012 10:10PM by SifJar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login