Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Version 4.0U

Posted by WiiWIlly 
Version 4.0U
May 28, 2009 11:38PM
I just heard of the Homebrew Channel. This is not good since last night I just upgraded my Wii from I guess 3.4 to 4.0U. Everything out there I see is for users who have had Homebrew channel in the past. But I have no way of using those things since I have never had the channel.

Does anyone know of a way of either downgrading a Wii from 4.0U to something that works or a way of getting the Homebrew channel on the Wii at it's present 4.0U version?

I have tried many methods and it seems that all boot.dol files are not even seen on this new upgraded version. Not sure why any companies waste their time and resources to make their system or stuff safeguarded? Seems to me to be a waste of money on their part. As smart as they are there always seems to be a way of doing anything if you have the will to do so.

To many smart people out there that I know will know of a way to get this channel even on this upgraded system. Or perhaps a way of downgrading this system back to the way it was just 24 hours ago.
Re: Version 4.0U
May 28, 2009 11:44PM
No offense, but you obviously didn't look very hard. Use Bannerbomb in conjunction with the Hackmii Installer to install the homebrew channel, dvdx, and/or bootmii.

HackMii Installer: [hackmii.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2009 11:45PM by Arikado.
May 29, 2009 02:56AM
To think we are all as smart as others is really not being very open minded. I Googled more than 40 things and I found myself running around in Circles. Most people had You Tube listings but those were mostly help for people who already HAD Homebrew on their Wii's and found out things were not working as they should. Never did I see a person post on HOW TO INSTALL HOMEBREW ON A Wii THAT NEVER HAD HOMEBREW ON IT.

If you never heard of the names of programs to Google they do not come up. So if you would spare me the "I'm being a nice guy but your not as smart as me act" and just help a person who may not be as smart at this than you.

I'm not totally stupid when it comes to doing these type of things but things have to be spelled out well enough for me to learn or catch on. And once I learn something I will help others and not use the statement "NO OFFENSE" and just give the info and feel good in the fact that I knew something someone else did not and I helped them with my knowledge.
May 29, 2009 02:57AM
Anyone else would like to help out a Wii green person it would be appreciated and helpful to me. Please feel free to help someone most likely less fortunate than yourself :)
May 29, 2009 03:27AM
No offense :)

You might follow the link Arikado gave you or thry this FAQ: [bootmii.org]

Okay, do I need to do anything at all to my system before running the HackMii Installer?

In general, no. You need a way to actually run the program; in practice, you usually will use BannerBomb, the Twilight Hack or an existing installation of the Homebrew Channel. Unless you run in to problems, you do not need to take any other precautions. If the Installer detects a problem with your system, it will inform you and tell you what steps you need to take.

In the FAQ you will find a link to Bannerbomb.
Try to run it first.

If it works, than use Bannerbomb to run the Hackmii installer

When you did all that or encouter a problem come back here.

If you are courious, you should peek around wiibrew.org or this forum.
May 29, 2009 03:44AM
I tried this before and now I tried it again. For some reason Bannerbomb when on my Wii will not load it says all the way. Then if you try and copy the files to the Wii Main Memory it says ALL THE FILES MAY NOT HAVE COPIED. If you go then to the Wii Menu it's not there and if you go to the SD Menu the Wii Freezes up and has to be turned off completely. tried this at least 20 times with all the same results.

But something different did happen when I went into Wii Settings. Some sort of Code looking stuff came up and it said something about I think saving of Wii stuff. But again it freeze's on this screen of address codes and again I will have to shut off the Wii to a RED LED and turn it back on.

I'm sure I'm not doing something right. But most instructions I have found are extremely lacking of detail. I have on a SD card these files:

installer.elf
LICENSE
README
private -- wii --- title --- akth --- File name: contents in there

As I said I probably know just enough to be dangerous.
May 29, 2009 03:51AM
I tried that new hackmii installer beta v2 and it did nothing for me. Not sure why. It's like it was there and then not on my SD card??? I might try that again. Maybe for some reason it was erased or never put on the SD card I don't know. But I have been trying all of these programs and they have not worked for me.

This all started because my daughter wanted to put a picnic table up on Animal Crossing and heard about this program. LOL! I mean all this for a picnic table out in the town. Dang!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2009 03:53AM by WiiWIlly.
May 29, 2009 03:52AM
DO NOT COPY BANNERBOMB TO THE WII SYSTEM MENU
rename the "installer.elf" to "boot.elf"
May 29, 2009 03:56AM
WiiWIlly
Then if you try and copy the files to the Wii Main Memory it says

Don't get me wrong, but whu did you even try that?
Where did you hear to do that?

Please follow the FAQ link I posted and from there follow the link to the bannerbomb homepage ( [bannerbomb.qoid.us] )
Follow the instructions you find on the bannerbomb homepage, verbatim. They appear to be complete.

If you encounter any problems, please come back hgere.
Be specific, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2009 04:02AM by daniel_c_w.
May 29, 2009 04:13AM
OK after changing the name to BOOT.elf I got the Homebrew channel on the menu page. There was like 3 installs to do and I did those. When trying to bring up the Homebrew menu it loads ok. It looks way different than what I have seen on YOU TUBE but I guess things have changed since the new update.

There are 5 options. BACK EXIT LAUNCH BOOTMII ect. Nothing comes up. The BOOTMII just locks up the Wii sort of. I see 4 options in there. But I have no hand or curser there to hit anything so I assume that it has locked up.

It tell me what IP address I am on via the WiFi and that is about all the HOMEBREW channel does for me. If I try and go to the SD card menu it still locks up. I guess I have to get those boot.elf files off of there to fix that problem.
May 29, 2009 04:30AM
Okay in Bootmii, you can't use the Wiimote due to incompatibility with the system; the programmers know of this. Try using the power button on your Wii to cycle and the reset button to choose.

It looks different probably because you don't have any applications yet. We always suggest the Homebrew Browser first: [wiibrew.org]. After you put that on your SD card it should be in a path something like this: (root):\apps\homebrew_browser\boot.dol (or boot.elf). This should get you started.

The SD card menu will lock up if you still have Bannerbomb in place on your SD card. With the Homebrew Channel installed you don't need bannerbomb anymore, so feel free to delete it: it's the 'private' folder on your SD card.
May 29, 2009 06:17AM
Will have to try this in a few days. We are going away for 2 days but I will get back on this subject I'm sure in a bit. But I will try doing a few things before I have to get to bed. But 6AM comes awful early :(
May 29, 2009 11:26AM
Just use the instructions on the bannerbomb website (http://bannerbomb.qoid.us/) thats what I did, and mines up and running, that was the easiest method, rather than snooping around youtube looking for solutions, that will most likely brick your wii.
May 29, 2009 12:31PM
My point was merely that our forums are harder to find than the 4.0 solutions! Sorry that you were offended :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2009 12:33PM by Arikado.
May 30, 2009 05:10AM
Arikado
My point was merely that our forums are harder to find than the 4.0 solutions! Sorry that you were offended :(

Weird it came right up. And I can not use the Homebrew Channel. Once I get past the 5 Option page of BACK --- EXIT -- Whatever it says and get int the Grey page of 4 Options. HOMEBREW --- OPTIONS ECT. That is like you said where I lose the Mouse pointer. Hitting the Power switch does nothing at all. I have tried holding it in and hitting the EJECT DISC button.

I actually have a Keyboard and tried plugging and unplugging it. I tried using the keyboard to see if anything would move. I tried for at least 1/2 hour with nothing.

Not sure if the last person who posted has Version 4U or not but I can't see how it could have worked on 4U when the Developers disabled the Mouse like Kage said.

So I have the channel HOMEBREW and all I can do with it is pop bubbles and score points. Not much of a challenge though. If you start scoring with the bubbles I have found out that the First 5 options page that loads from the SD card does not even try to come up and load once scoring points on that page.
May 30, 2009 07:33AM
Lewi152
Just use the instructions on the bannerbomb website (http://bannerbomb.qoid.us/) thats what I did, and mines up and running, that was the easiest method, rather than snooping around youtube looking for solutions, that will most likely brick your wii.

hello: did you try it on ver 4u? i followed the process step-by-step and it didnt work. i have a new wii and came with ver 4u
May 30, 2009 07:49AM
Be more specific, please.

What does not work?
What did you try?
How do you tell, it does not work?
May 30, 2009 07:56AM
canadianark
Lewi152

hello: did you try it on ver 4u? i followed the process step-by-step and it didnt work. i have a new wii and came with ver 4u

Jeez Could not have put that better myself. EXACTLY!

DANIEL: Be more specific, please.

What does not work?
What did you try?
How do you tell, it does not work?

Did I not explain what does not work in this thread. No HAND Nothing can work and no way of moving anything to select options. Everyone who has commented has obviously not worked with a Wii that never had HOMEBREW on it and a Version 4U Wii system.

Well I guess now I'm sounding like a jerk. But Dan I think I did explain in this thread what the problem is. Sorry for the jerky sounding answer there. Personally I hate those types as well LOL! But read back here and you will see the problem. There has to be something different for people who have Version 4U and never had HOMEBREW on their Wii.

A Boot.elf that puts Version 3.4 back on or something.
May 30, 2009 07:58AM
Sounds like you don't have the apps in the right place. Get Homebrew browser and put it on your SD card so it looks like this: (root):\homebrew_browser\boot.dol

In the Homebrew Browser and Homebrew Channel you can use the Wii Remotes. BootMii is different, that's the program that doesn't use Wii Remotes.
May 30, 2009 08:29AM
Kage52124
Sounds like you don't have the apps in the right place. Get Homebrew browser and put it on your SD card so it looks like this: (root):\homebrew_browser\boot.dol

In the Homebrew Browser and Homebrew Channel you can use the Wii Remotes. BootMii is different, that's the program that doesn't use Wii Remotes.
you mean (root):\apps\homebrew_browser\boot.dol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login