Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Korean Wii 4.0U IOS and Preloader 0.29

Posted by i_give_up 
Korean Wii 4.0U IOS and Preloader 0.29
November 24, 2009 07:34AM
Hi,
I recently bought a Korean Wii from overseas with 4.0U IOS and installed with Preloader 0.29. It plays games fine but all the channels won’t work. It’s been a few days now that I’ve searched and tried various methods that none worked so far. I really want to create Mii characters but after days of trying I just gave up. Now I am considering a Wasabi mod chip but heard that no mod chip will solve the channels issue. Is it even possible at all? Would anyone help please? Thanks!
Re: Korean Wii 4.0U IOS and Preloader 0.29
November 24, 2009 02:07PM
First off, 4.0U is not the IOS version. There is no single IOS version. 4.0U is your System Menu.

Modchips will not solve your channel problem. Could you list the channels you have?
November 24, 2009 09:18PM
What happens when you try to run channels? Black screen? If so, you're missing IOS. The easiest way to fix this is an official update via WiFi or a disk. Alternatively, you could use dop-IOS MOD or NUSD and wadimport to install the missing IOS, but then you need to work out exactly what IOS are missing. I'd go with the official update.
November 24, 2009 09:21PM
Crap. A post I just made (which was flagged as spam, so may not show up when you see this) contained some very bad advice. DO NOT UPDATE YOUR WII VIA AN OFFICIAL UPDATE. As you have a region-changed Korean wii, it will "error 003 brick" you (i.e. your wii will stop functioning). Manually update the IOS with dop-IOS MOD. Download it, tell it to run on IOS60 and then manually donwload and install every IOS, without patches. Apply both patches to IOS36 though. Dont reinstall IOS60, you definitely have it and its working fine.
November 24, 2009 10:10PM
I am wondering how did Preloader 0.29 get installed at all???

WikiFSX:
ok, 4.0U is my System Menu, and I assume u indicates US version of System Menu? and how did 4.0U get installed??? or does this mean this 4.0U (US) ios is just one version of the many versions installed on my wii?

channels I have (really just standard channels but none worked): Mii (which is in korean and can't be started), photo, forecast and news.

in regards to Sif Jar:
I read about not updating through Wii and I haven't dare to do so.
Why do you say I have a region-changfed Korean wii? How can I check?

I've tried installing dop-IOS through BannerBomb v1 (v2 didn't not work), and then tried to load dop-IOS, but it freezed during the install (maybe the loading phrase i cant remember).

I also tried to load hackmii through BannerBom v1 but hackmii couldn't be installed due to no vulnerability.

in preloader i can see i can change system menu ios version.

what i want are:
since my wii is ok playing games (only tried wii resort and wii fit, no other game available atm), i assume it's working with most of the existing games available out there.

so really i just want to get mii channel to working and maybe have homebrew installed. is it even possible on Korean version?

why did Nintendo make it so hard??? just lower the price like Apple did to Snow Leopard and you will triple your sales...!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2009 10:13PM by i_give_up.
November 24, 2009 10:35PM
You have a region changed Korean wii, because you said it was Korean yet it has 4.0U which is the American System Menu.
November 24, 2009 11:07PM
If you want to launch Dop-IOS MOD, try launching LoadMii from bannerbomb and then using that to launch Dop-IOS.
November 24, 2009 11:24PM
i was able to use bannerbomb to launch dop-ios but the problem was that dop-ios installation freezed hafl way through. and i am wondering since i ve got preloader would i be able to just install hbc via it? but then since hbc is installed via bootmii installer and it couldnt be installed... i am out of clue.

why do i need dop-ios?
November 24, 2009 11:31PM
Sif Jar: i actually dont understand your first post about dop-ios patches!

would u be able to explain? i now understand 1wii can contain differenrt versions of ios used by different things/games.
and korean wii shippedwith all version patched so things like loadmii wont work.

and somehow my wii has preloader and ios60 (which is 4.0u i believe installed). Therefore games worked. Am i right?
and this is my whole understanding so far

sorry for the spelling. Im typing on iphone.
November 25, 2009 02:38AM
i_give_up
i now understand 1wii can contain differenrt versions of ios used by different things/games.
and korean wii shippedwith all version patched so things like loadmii wont work.

LoadMi will work. Korean Wiis don't have any IOSes patched that others don't have patched.

What SifJar means is that whatever IOS the channels that fail to launch need is either not installed or is bad, and you should replace them somehow.

He says in the post after that that you should NOT update your Wii. Instead, install every IOS, with no patches, except for IOS36, which should have both of the offered patches (Trucha and ES_Identify, I think) with Dop-IOS MOD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 02:38AM by WikiFSX.
November 25, 2009 02:52AM
So you are suggesting that because I've got my Wii soft-modded "properly" to at least play games now I need to remove existing channels (Mii, Photo, Weather etc) and re-install, am I right?

In terms of removing channels:
1. Should I use AnyTitle Deleter to remove specific IOS and/or channels?
2. Would it brick my Wii?
3. Since Wii has multiple versions of IOS installed, should I only target 4.0U when removing channels?

In terms of re-installing channels:
4. Should I use NUS Downloader to download Mii and then create WAD?
5. Should I use my Preloader to launch HBC (Preloader seems to be able to load HBC, but currently I am missing hacks.ini) then to load WAD?

6. If yes to all the answers, then do any of the above methods possibly brick my Wii?

Thanks!!!

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 03:09AM by i_give_up.
November 25, 2009 03:58AM
No, we are saying that you should get the latest version of every IOS, starting with IOS36 with patches, and then all of the others without.
November 25, 2009 04:06AM
Sorry I am totally confused now. I want to get Mii channel to work on IOS 60, you are saying I need to re-install the whole IOS60 (but I remember Sif Jar mentioned don't re-install IOS 60) ? Shouldn't I be just re-installing the specific channel???

Also, my Preloader automatically load IOS60 and I use bannerbomb to load dop-IOS but the installation failed half way through. If I do have to re-install IOS how can I do it?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 04:17AM by i_give_up.
November 25, 2009 04:48AM
IOSes and channels are separate.

Are you using Dop-IOS or Dop-IOS MOD? Use MOD.
November 25, 2009 04:57AM
Forgive me if I am being a totally idiot as I am new to this whole Wii soft-mod shebang.

Yes I was using dop-IOS and I didn't realize the difference between dop-IOS and dop-IOS-mod and I will give dop-IOS-mod a try later. So I will use bannerbomb to load dop-ios-mod (just like how I did with dop-ios previously). And I will follow instructions listed here:
1. (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS)
2. (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS/Dop-IOS_MOD)

But I am wondering would re-installing IOS fixing my Mii channel problem?

As of Preloader, I read that (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS):
“Also, if you are using Preloader and you 'dop' IOS60, remember to reinstall Preloader after 'doping'; otherwise, you won't be able to load the System Menu. Instead, boot HBC through Preloader to reinstall it.”

And I don't quite understand it. In my case I am using IOS60 to dop IOS60 and I do have Preloader installed.

And also I read that (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Preloader):
"IT IS _HIGHLY_ RECOMMENDED TO INSTALL PRELOADER ONLY ON A WII WITH UNMODIFIED IOSs!!"

And they make me wonder if installing dop-IOS-mod is such a good idea?

Thanks!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 05:50AM by i_give_up.
November 25, 2009 11:28AM
I copied hacks.ini to SD card and now I can launch Mii channel and Photo channel. However Mii and Photo chanells are in Korean... Is there a way to change the language to English or re-install only the channels or something?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 11:31AM by i_give_up.
November 25, 2009 12:11PM
It's working now!!! You can't believe how easy it was!!! I just followed this instruction.

Basically I used Preloader to load AnyTitle Deleter and deleted Korean version Mii and Photos, then manually rebooted Wii and yahooooo, Mii and Photos channels are back up in English!!!

I thank anyone who has helped me and suggested solutions!!! So happy now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 12:11PM by i_give_up.
November 25, 2009 03:41PM
I'm sorry I led you through all of this.

I guess you didn't need any of it! Well, it's great that you got it to work. Have fun!
November 25, 2009 10:10PM
It was a great learning experience in trying to understand the soft mod concept. I still need to know how to do soft modding because now WiiConnect24 refuses to work and prompts me to update via Wii update which I am sure I am not stupid enough to follow that. I believe it's asking me to update to 4.2. I will keep googling and probably use dop-IOS-mod to update my system to 4.2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 10:11PM by i_give_up.
November 25, 2009 10:28PM
NEVER UPDATE TO 4.2U ON A KOREAN WII. I thought I said that. It WILL brick you with an Error 003 message, preventing you using your Wii AT ALL.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login