Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where exactly do I get the Homebrew Channel?

Posted by drbone 
Where exactly do I get the Homebrew Channel?
December 28, 2008 03:09AM
I'm trying to find the Homebrew Channel. I have downloaded "the_homebrew_channel-1.0.1.tar.gz" and extracted it using 7zip, but all that is inside that file is another file called "the_homebrew_channel-1.0.1.tar". I tried renaming it on the SD card to "boot.dol", but once inside Twilight Princess, I got an Error 0300. So can somebody please tell me where or how I can find the Homebrew Channel file?!
As mentioned, I already have the Twilight Hack installed, and am using the correct version.
Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2008 03:11AM by drbone.
Re: Where exactly do I get the Homebrew Channel?
December 28, 2008 03:17AM
Extract the .tar with winrar or something
December 28, 2008 03:35AM
yeah, it is compressed a lot to make downloading faster...
December 28, 2008 03:52AM
Thanks! Using WinRAR worked.

Now I have the HBC installed, but all I can do is pop the bubbles. I click on the two icons in the bottom right corner, but nothing happens. Do I have to have the Homebrew channel folder on my SD card in the apps folder or something? All I really want to do is play region free games on this thing!
December 28, 2008 03:59AM
You need apps in the apps folder:
/apps/[app name]/boot.dol (or boot.elf)

So for region free, you could use Gecko OS:
/apps/Gecko OS/boot.dol
December 28, 2008 05:20AM
Great, that worked, too!

...unfortunately, this is turning into a huge headache! now when I try to run Gecko OS, it tells me it's not a valid Wii application. Is this because the current Gecko OS is an ELF file and not a DOL file?
December 28, 2008 05:44AM
AHHH! I figured it out!
I deleted the Gecko OS boot.elf file on my SD card and then went back to the unzipped archive folder and went to the DOL folder. I took the file called "main.dol" and changed it to "boot.dol" and moved it into the Gecko OS 1.7 folder on my SD card.
December 28, 2008 08:57AM
By the way, with 7zip and .tar.(gz/bz2/etc) files, you have to double click on the tar.gz, then double click on the .tar to get at the files.
December 29, 2008 09:20PM
ok I am have a problem with the same thing. I was able to extract the file with 7zip but I am not sure how to do the next part for the .tar. Can someone walk me through it. PLEASE!
December 29, 2008 09:45PM
okay I got the tar part extracted no I copy it to my sd card. I have been seeing things about a data.bin file. I am not sure how to do the sd card part. My card has nothing on it. I am using a card I had for something else. When I formatted it to FAT I deleted everything so it is empty
December 29, 2008 10:02PM
ok. you need to change it's name to boot.dol...

here is the whole FREE guide

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2008 10:02PM by DrLucky.
February 01, 2009 12:01PM
is it possable if someone can post the extracted file on here? i can't get the winrar to extrct the file :s Many thanks
February 01, 2009 03:11PM
If you've properly installed winrar, then all you need to do is right click the file and then click extract here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login