Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting confused need a bit of clarification

Posted by bugs 
Getting confused need a bit of clarification
October 29, 2012 02:38PM
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before but I havnt found an answer. I would like to be able to play movies from my Wii, and connect a USB hard drive to store them. I know this is possible but, id like some clarification on what I need to install to achieve this. I have read many sites some say install video9, some Install WiiMC, some install the homebrew channel, and some talk about IOS (thought this was an apple thing)

I think I need to install the homebrew channel then WiiMC but could someone confirm, and point me in the direction of a good step by step guide.

Thanks
Re: Getting confused need a bit of clarification
October 29, 2012 03:43PM
No idea what "video9" is that you mention, but anyway:

Provided your Wii is currently running the latest version of the System Menu (v4.3), all you should need to do is install HBC (follow the guide here: [wiisixtyfour.webs.com]) and then run WiiMC from there (there are some pointers regarding that to be found here: [wiisixtyfour.webs.com]). If you want to have a seperate channel for WiiMC instead of loading HBC first each time, download the WiiMC channel installer from here: [www.wiimc.org] and run it from HBC (you need to have WiiMC setup on your SD card the same way as if you were going to run it from HBC, or the channel won't work, so make sure you can run WiiMC from HBC before installing the channel).

If your Wii is not on the latest update, the easiest thing to do is update it (just a regular update from the Settings menu) and then install HBC and run WiiMC.

The talk of IOS is because the Wii has pieces of software called "IOS" (Input Output System) which are essentially the "background" code that runs at all times. Stuff like the System Menu and games will tell IOS that they want to access certain pieces of hardware, and IOS will then allow them to do so. It's important for WiiMC because most versions of IOS can only access the Wii's USB ports with a 1.1 access speed, but IOS58 has support for USB2.0, so obviously it is preferred. Every Wii contains around 20-30 versions of IOS, some with different features. IOS58 is the one used for homebrew due to it's USB2.0 support.

You don't need to worry about this really, other than to know that if your Wii is fully updated, it will have IOS58 and so USB2.0 will work in apps like WiiMC.
November 05, 2012 05:52PM
Thanks so much for clarifying that for me iv confirmed I have 4,3 so I thinks its fairy straight forward really, im going to use the letter bomb exploit to install the HBC and use that to install WiiMC.
November 08, 2012 12:14PM
OK so I installed the letterbomb exploit as per the istructions linked above, made sure I followed them to the letter, all went well except it says it installed successfully and I should be returned to the homebrew channel, my wii is sat the with a black screen and the DVD light flashing. Dont really want to turn it off and re-load it incase I brick it or do something equally as nasty.

can anyone help?
November 08, 2012 04:27PM
Sorted it, case of not reading what was on the screen I was clicking exit which is selected by default.

I have a couple of questions firstly Iv installed the WiiMC channel and when I load it I get the loading screen then it just goes back to the Wii System Menu, I tried inserting a DVD and it still remain unrecognised and obviously cant open the MC to play.

secondly if I want to install more than one app how can I do this as they all seem to be named boot, also the when I copy the file to the SD card does it then install them to the Wii or is the app installed to the SD. I want to know after the instalation can I delete the files from the SD or are they required to run?

Thanks in advance
November 08, 2012 06:22PM
Apps aren't "installed", they are just run from the SD card. And you can have as many as you like; each app gets it's own subfolder within the "apps" folder on the root of your SD card. So for example, you should have a folder on your SD card called "apps". Inside that folder, there should be another folder called "WiiMC". Within that, there should be a boot.dol, an icon.png and a meta.xml, and possibly some extra files (can't remember for WiiMC if there are or not).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login