Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

USB Media Players...

Posted by celliottii 
USB Media Players...
November 10, 2012 10:22PM
I'm a newb...got the Homebrew Channel installed on my Wii and I'm able to download various media players. Unfortunately, none of the ones I've downloaded are playing my files.

Here's what I've got and (hopefully) someone can steer me in the right direction:

Wii black
Homebrew Channel (installed & updated)
currently there are 4 .MKV files on my USB

I've gotten the files to play on Mplayer CE (pixelated along the right side) and Wii MC PLayer (video & audio run very slow). No other media player has played the videos.

I am using an older rear-projection TV, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Are the media players from the HBC only able to play certain file types?

Thanks!
Re: USB Media Players...
November 10, 2012 11:29PM
I believe support for MKV isn't great in WiiMC/MPlayer CE (both are based off the same media playing code). There's some more detailed info here: [www.wiimc.org]
November 11, 2012 03:30AM
so which file format works the best?

and which of the media players on Homebrew do you recommend?
November 11, 2012 12:50PM
WiiMC is the best media player there is for the Wii. It and MPlayer CE are the only two worth even considering using, and WiiMC is basically just MPlayer CE with a decent GUI.

As for best format, I'm not really sure. For best results, make sure the resolution is 480p or below (anything above may play, but will be downscaled to 480p, as that's the max the Wii can output, so there's no point in having it higher), and use one of the formats from that thread I linked above which it says works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login