Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Complete noob question

Posted by azuvipsel 
Complete noob question
January 13, 2009 09:41PM
I know this is a really stupid question, but will the homebrew channel break my wii? what happens if i system update with it? what happens if i buy a game that forces a system update? Thanks :)

Also, this is stupid too but what sort of apps do you commonly have on your wii?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 09:44PM by azuvipsel.
Re: Complete noob question
January 13, 2009 09:59PM
You can take a look at a list of apps here

wiibrew.org

There is a VERY VERY small chance that the homebrew channel/Twilight Hack will brick your Wii, and even if it does there is a "FixMii" part of this forum, which would help you fix your wii if it's possible to be fixed, I HIGHLY recommend not upgrading your wii, same with wiibrew

wiibrew.org
Notice: Many Wii System Updates stop certain homebrew from working. Wiibrew strongly recommends that you do not update your Wii through Nintendo.

The 3.2 firmware is the recommended firmware to stay at, but if your not there, you don't have to sweat it. The Twilight hack currently works with all of the recent updates that Nintendo has now (from 3.1 to 3.4), but it is still not recommended to update. There are ways to bypass games that attempt to force a system update, a recommended option is via GeckoOs (Available for the homebrew channel). It is capable of bypassing those updates as well as a few other few nifty things. So in conclusion, this is safer than a mod chip, it is better than a mod-chip, and the best part is that is it legal.

I hope this helped answer whatever questions you may have had.

Have fun !!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 10:00PM by Legend28469.
January 13, 2009 10:06PM
Hmm, looks to me quite risky and there isn't much that I would really want to do that I can't do on something else.

I know this is for wii, but is there something like this but for ds, like ds homebrew, so I could play GBC roms or watch videos or something on DS.
January 13, 2009 10:29PM
Probably.. I wouldn't know.. i don't have a DS...

I know DS has a homebrew.. but this is the wrong forum to discuss it...

give this a shot

google.ca
January 13, 2009 10:38PM
Oh, please. Give it a rest guys. Installing the Homebrew Channel is 99.99999999% safe. And for the record, I've never heard of anyone bricking their Wii from installing it.

The best app overall is the homebrew browser. Some of the best apps that are games include Quake, Doom, Mahjongg Wii, Cosmo Raketti, Portii, and my own Wii Shooting Gallery and WiiBreaker.
January 13, 2009 11:05PM
even though homebrew doesn't recommend updating, it isn't because of brickability, but because it might disable parts of your homebrew...so the worse is that homebrew would stop working until the Wiibrew guys found a way around it
January 13, 2009 11:14PM
The only thing you cant do with the homebrew channel on the latest firmware is run the apps with illegal potential.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 11:15PM by Arikado.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login