Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is NAND backup needed?

Posted by Super_ness 
Is NAND backup needed?
June 25, 2009 01:54AM
Hi. My SD card(1G) is really full. I have BootMii as an IOS and as Boot2, and I want to do a NAND back up, just in case I get bricked, but I'm out of space. I read somewhere that if my wii is bricked, then I can just launch Bootmii, go to the HBC, and then run AnyRegionChanger. So do I really need to do a NAND backup?
Re: Is NAND backup needed?
June 25, 2009 03:55PM
not exactly needed.. if you're sure that the app you want to use runs normally over hbc channel (i'm not quite sure, but i've heard some homebrew that needs another ios to work could give you problems...

anyway, at least i recommend you to free some space in your sd (better if you can backup it content in a computer and format) and make a nand backup, just to be sure.. then try to use any app you want..

oh, just a little suggestion if you decide to backup, recheck your sd capacity after do it.. sometimes the backup fails (gives a 0kb nand.bin file) but the card register a >500mb content, if thats the case, you better reformat.. so, your are warned..

hope this help..

pd: i'm not sure about this, but i think nand.bin could be moved from sd to another disk in a computer and then just recovered when needed.. i'll give a try later.. if this works, maybe you should consider do it..
June 25, 2009 05:15PM
Temparairily move everything except the bootmii folder off the SD card, then run the backup process. move the new NAND.bin onto your computer then shove all your SD card stuff back on. and anyway, that won't fix all bricks
June 26, 2009 01:50AM
They say that AnyRegionChanger could be used to solve certain kind of bricks. However, a NAND-backup would provide theoretically 100% brick protection for your Wii. Basically, I wouldn't count on AnyRegionChanger.
June 26, 2009 07:47AM
If HBC is able to start there should be no problem.

But I advice you to make some space on the SD, make a NAND backup, store it on your PC and put the old data back to your SD.
June 28, 2009 07:07PM
Qcho
oh, just a little suggestion if you decide to backup, recheck your sd capacity after do it.. sometimes the backup fails (gives a 0kb nand.bin file) but the card register a >500mb content, if thats the case, you better reformat.. so, your are warned..

try to format SD in FAT 16 using CLUSTER SIZE 64K.
With cluster size 16k and 32K my NAND file was invisible on SD card, but took place
but worked OK with 64K.
SD card - Transcend 1Gb.
July 02, 2009 12:56AM
Okay. I'll back up soon. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login