Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bootmii beta 3 (V1.0) From a Different Wii Error

Posted by thomas83lin 
Bootmii beta 3 (V1.0) From a Different Wii Error
August 19, 2009 08:17PM
Question:

First i'm Not Sure if this is happening to everyone or just me

Doing a Nand Backup on the newest beta 3, which dumps a Key.Bin and Nand.Bin i noticed your not able to restore. It gives the error this dump is from another Wii Which it is not.
So my question is why is the Keys not stored to the nand.bin like in the past, and sense they are now stored in the key.bin.
Why does bootmii still have the protection to check for the keys in the nand.bin.
I now there is ways around this by using a Hex editior, and adding the key.bin to the end of the Nand.bin so bootmii will accept it. But i also found a problem with the key.bin itself it needs a space between console and ID before you can add it to the end of the nand.bin using a hex editor otherwise you'll still get the different wii error

Instructions to make a beta 3 dump usable for those that really need it

1. Open Key.bin in a hex editor look for the Word ConsoleID if you notice in the hex editor theres no space between console and ID there should be and sense theres not you will need to add this Space
To add a Space between Console and ID just put 20 in hex which is a Blank Space between Console and ID, without over writing any data and without moving all the data forward except the chunk your working on and hit save Now highlight and copy all of the 1024bits of the key.bin

Before and After Pics of the Key.bin
Before
[img18.imageshack.us]
After The Fix
[img18.imageshack.us]

2. Now Open up Nand.bin in the hex editor scroll down to the every end and hit paste, to copy all of the 1024bits of the key.bin. to the end of the Nand.bin and hit save

3. Now your Dump is usable

Heres the easier method thanks to IceFire sense i had no clue you could do this but you'll still have to fix the error in the key.bin with the space between ConsoleID before you can do this

Put the files (keys.bin and nand.bin) in root of the SD card, then:

Windows:
1) Start -> Run -> cmd
2) Find the drive letter of your SD card, for example, F:.
3) Type this, replace the X with the drive letter: cd X:\
4) Type this: copy /b nand.bin + keys.bin nand.bin
5) ?????
6) PROFIT!!!

*nix (Mac and Linux):
1) Open a terminal.
2) Find the mount point of your SD card (/media/VOLUMENAME often on Linux, /Volumes/VOLUMENAME on Mac)
3) Type this, replacing MOUNTPOINT with the mount point of your SD card: cd MOUNTPOINT
4) Type this: cat nand.bin keys.bin > nand.bin
5) ?????
6) PROFIT!!!

edit: I see this was added to the Bug report on hackmii and theres now a official Fix with a new PPCboot
[bugs.hackmii.com]
I guess a Mod can close this now Thanks

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2009 09:21PM by thomas83lin.
Re: Bootmii beta 3 (V1.0) From a Different Wii Error
August 20, 2009 04:41PM
The keys are duplicated. one in NAND.bin and the other in key.bin. The NAND.bin file format is still the same.
August 20, 2009 08:59PM
I'm going to guess it's a bug. I had a problem with Beta2 doing that to me, but it fixed itself, and I heard Beta3 won't restore it's own dumps, but now that you've told me that, I must thank you.
August 23, 2009 03:45AM
i'm having problems with step 6...
August 24, 2009 09:02AM
Yeah, I just made a nand dump and attempted to restore got this error about the dump being from a different Wii. I think I'm going back to Bootmii beta 2. Only time I noticed the bug where NAND backups were left as 0 byte files was when the verifying back up was attempted to be skipped.
September 05, 2009 10:16PM
Need to restore my dump. What hex editor were you using?
May 22, 2010 02:03PM
Hi there,

i was thinking about the usage of copying the nand to flash option en then renaming the flash.bin to nand.bin.

if i do this and i use an other nand from an other wii on my own wii can i use this to complete restore my wii just like the other wii where the nand backup is from?

in other words:

if this is possible softmodding wil be much and much easier.

just backup the wii using bootmii

put the nand backup on the sd card from the other wii.

copy the nand+key.bin to get flash.bin.

rename the flash.bin to nand.bin

use the nand on the other wii to get the same softmod from where you backuped your nand file.

so you have 2 wii's with identical softmod but still have there own Wii ID/serial because you used the key.bin from the other wii.

again... is this possible?

thanks
xxquatroxx
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login