Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unable install bootmii as IOS OR as boot2

Posted by esspeez 
Unable install bootmii as IOS OR as boot2
November 17, 2009 10:25PM
I can't work out if it's me being a proper noob or not, but I can't even get to install bootmii at all, as boot2 OR IOS.

I have, or had, a virgin 4.2E and have managed to install the HBC and DVDx through bannerbomb v2 on the HackMii installer.

I have tried reformatting the sd card and starting from scratch but every time it just fails when trying to install Bootmii. I have had my wii since 2007 so it's not a new one.

I can't find anyone else with the same problem. I know it's early stages but I cant proceed until I can get bootmii installed. It's driving me mental.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks
Re: Unable install bootmii as IOS OR as boot2
November 17, 2009 10:32PM
If you can't install bootmii as boot2, then there's nothing you can do about that.

I would bet that you have successfully installed bootmii IOS, but you simply dont know how to use it. BootMii IOS can only be launched through the homebrew channel, it is not launched when you turn on your Wii (like boot2).
November 17, 2009 10:40PM
Yes apparently I can launch it through the HBC by pressing home and selecting "launch boot". But the option is not there.

Only 'Back' 'About' 'Exit to system menu' and 'Shutdown'

(sorry, I may have double posted this topic as it said it thought it was spam so I re-wrote it, apologies)
November 17, 2009 10:51PM
@ Arikado:

he already said that his wii is from 2007, so he should be able to install bootmii, both as IOS and boot2.

@ esspeez:

what exactly happens if you try to install bootmii? normally it should read out a green message saying "SUCCESS" when installing bootmii...so what message do you get? does it say "SUCCESS" but you're not able to access the bootmii menu or does it somehow fail to install at all?
November 17, 2009 11:30PM
What error are you getting if any? If you are not getting an error, it is probably as Arikado said and you have it installed but dont know how to access it.
November 18, 2009 12:58AM
Yeah, I got the 'SUCCESS' message in green when I installed HBC, then again the same green 'SUCCESS' when installing DVDx.

Thinking back to it, after the DVDx installation, the screen froze and I couldn't click on continue. There was no way to reset the console without holding down the POWER button. Now when returning to install bootmii I get;

'A BootMii install requires a SD card.

Runtime file will be written, these are required to
properly boot BootMii.

Insert a SD card now

Yes, continue
No, take me back'

The SD card is in there with the correct file (I pressume), then as soon as I click yes, I get.

'Mounting SD card...
Creating directory ' /bootmii'...

FAILED (-1).

Continue'

I guess this is all the info I can give. Is there anyway to start again do you think or am I at the point of no return?

Thanks for you help by the way.
November 18, 2009 01:57PM
@ esspeez:

ok so somehow the installer doesn't recognize your sd card correctly...try to format the sd card (FAT or FAT32) and then try again...changing cluster sizes may also contribute to compatibility ^^
November 18, 2009 03:56PM
probably your SD card locked? the little switch on the side is it in the locked position?
November 18, 2009 06:05PM
Check you SD card is not write protected. The problem is the installer cannot create the directory on the SD card. Obviously the SD card works, as the installer has been run from it, so I assume it must have the write protection switch turned on.
November 22, 2009 11:52PM
Cheers guys. I'll give that a go.
November 28, 2009 07:55AM
I have a similar option going on now. I tried to install Mplayer CE v.76. Well, the thing never loads up.

So I deleted HBC and began reinstalling. Ran bannerbomb and the reinstalled HBC. But Bootmii could only be installed as a ios. The boot option is gone. And after I install DVDX2 and HBC, I got to HBC. I press bootmii in the HBC menu and the wii gives a blank screen and flashes the light.

After all this MPlayer CE v.76 still didn't work after reinstalling HBC and such. I had to go back to v.75 without DVD. And did I just lose bootmii in the process?
November 28, 2009 03:26PM
BootMii/IOS is installed on your Wii, and works as it should as far as it goes, but does not support your SD card. Simple as that.
January 30, 2010 11:49AM
I have the same thing, only my mesage says mounting SD card Failed -1
I have formatted my SD card and still nothing.
I have installed the HBC and DVDX but it won't install bootmii.
It gives me the option to delete it though?
Whe I go to the Homebrew Browser, it says Couldn't mount SD card.
I've checked the lists and my card is compatible.
Any suggestions?
January 30, 2010 03:46PM
dawn1:
Format your SD Card.
January 30, 2010 04:01PM
dawn1: Format SD card to FAT32. Then it should work. And make sure write-protect switch is off.
February 07, 2010 02:56PM
Same problem as above;

Using Kingston 4GB SD/HC class 4 (apparently compatable [wiibrew.org])
Card is formatted at Fat32 and write protect off

Install Homebrew and DVDX fine but can't mount card. Same error as above. Anyone get a fix?

Any ideas? Try another SD card? or Downgrade Firmware version?

Thanks in advance for your help
February 07, 2010 06:21PM
Downgrading solves NOTHING. NEVER downgrade your Wii, no matter what anyone tells you. For some consoles like the PSP, downgrading can be useful. Not for the Wii. You should never downgrade your Wii, it is incredibly dangerous. Try another SD card if you can.
February 18, 2010 04:23AM
I have the exact same problem as dawn1. I cant install bootmii as an ios it says FAILED(-1) or watever, and homebrew browser says cant mount sd card. its a kingston class 6 sdhc 8gb and is compatible (accorind to that list). the switch is off, as i installed HBC and dvdx, and even some other apps. WHAT doI do??!!!
February 18, 2010 04:49AM
irule88
I have the exact same problem as dawn1. I cant install bootmii as an ios it says FAILED(-1) or watever, and homebrew browser says cant mount sd card. its a kingston class 6 sdhc 8gb and is compatible (accorind to that list). the switch is off, as i installed HBC and dvdx, and even some other apps. WHAT doI do??!!!
Tried formatting your SD Card?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login