Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Request: Z/GZdoom port (yes I know we already have Wiidoom)

Posted by nightwishfan1 
Request: Z/GZdoom port (yes I know we already have Wiidoom)
October 26, 2009 05:36PM
I'm making this request for a Z/GZdoom port (two separate engines just everyone knows), cause they are simply two of the best enhanced Doom engine source ports out there. I say this for good reason, cause they both can handle custom maps not only for their respective ports for which a given map is built around, but they can also use custom maps built for some other enhanced Doom engine source ports as well. It also has support for some of Ids games that use the Doom engine as well as a couple others. In other words these engines dont just play Doom. The features below will tell you which games.

Now I realize we have WiiDoom which is basically a port of PRBoom, but honestly I can see the need for another enhanced Doom engine port. I remember a topic I responded in where someone was mentioning custom fan maps not being runnable with WiiDoom, and to me the answer was obviously the maps werent built to run with PRBoom in mind. I imagine more people have had this same problem. Not knowing if a custom map would work or not only to find out it didnt after tracking down the map, downloading it, transferring it to storage, then trying it on their wii with Wiidoom. With Z/GZdoom this cuts out a lot of that mess. Most custom maps are compatible with it.....Not all, but a good amount are compatible. There wont be questions asking for the impossiblity of making Wiidoom compatible with maps that arent compatible.

As I stated earlier Z/GZdoom both have features that exceed using multiple custom maps, and using various Id games IWADS and playing them. I'll list these below.

Zdoom features:

•It runs well under all modern versions of Windows, from Windows 95 to the new Windows Vista. If you have Linux, it works with that too.
•Can play all Doom engine games, including Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife.
•Supports all the editing features of Hexen. (ACS, hubs, new map format, etc.)
•Supports most of the BOOM editing features.
•Many more all-new editing features such as:
?Colored sector lighting.
?Custom monsters, weapons, and items.
?High resolution textures.
?Many, many extensions to ACS that were not present in Hexen.
?More music formats: Ogg Vorbis, MOD, XM, IT, S3M, MIDI, and MP3 as well as old-fashioned MUS all work.
?More sound formats: FLAC and WAVE can both be used for sound effects.
?More texture formats: PNG and JPEG are both useable for artwork.
•The vast majority of Doom limits are gone.
•An OPL softsynth is provided that can play the standard MUS music for an authentic "oldschool" flavor.
•Free look (look up/down).
•High resolutions.
•Translucency (regular and additive).
•A console.
•Full-featured joystick/gamepad support under Windows.
•Up to 8 player network games using UDP/IP, including team-based gameplay.
•Support for the Bloodbath announcer from the classic Monolith game Blood.
•Quake-style key bindings.
•Jumping.
•Crosshairs.
•Walk over/under monsters and other things.

These found at. [www.zdoom.org]

GZdoom features:

^^^^All of the above....
......plus....

3D floors
Dynamic lights
Quake2/Unreal style skyboxes
True color texture support
Model support (limited at the moment)

These found at [grafzahl.drdteam.org]

So i dont know if anyone is interested in porting them, but hopefully someone will be. I got no coding skills or I would've tried already. Anyways thanks to anyone who considers taking it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2009 05:37PM by nightwishfan1.
Re: Request: Z/GZdoom port (yes I know we already have Wiidoom)
October 26, 2009 09:56PM
This would be AWESOME! I have it on my PC, and it's really cool.
October 27, 2009 05:08AM
^^^Yes this indeed would be cool. I thought about using the DOS version of Zdoom via Dosbox for Wii, but quickly realized that the DOS version hasnt been updated in ages. So I figured why not request a full blown port of the most current version you know? I believe (not sure really) both Z and GZ Doom are open source so they have something going for them in those regards. The only thing I can see being a problem would be getting huge custom map wads to load on Wii. Though smaller ones definitely will work. Also it's not like the Wii cant handle 3D objects. There have been plenty of projects that are full blown 3D so GZdoom shouldnt be any problem. To me it's a no brainer that porting them would be indeed sweet.
October 27, 2009 01:49PM
I'm currently learning C++, so if anyone doesn't port it by then, I will.
October 27, 2009 03:14PM
Sounds good man. I'd be more than willing to test when that time comes. And I think you mean them? Zdoom and GZdoom are two separate engines. GZdoom itself is a source port of Zdoom. In essence both shouldnt be too hard given how very similar they are when one or the other is ported first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2009 03:22PM by nightwishfan1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login