Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DVDx Disc channel integration

Posted by Gatleos 
DVDx Disc channel integration
June 14, 2010 06:22AM
There's already code out there developed from DVDx to play back DVDs. I'm not even sure the disc channel works the same way as other channels, but if code can be made to emulate the disc channel exactly, perhaps someone could add a dedicated DVD playback feature to it. Then Wii Disks, Gamecube Disks and DVDs could be used seamlessly from the same application.

Again, I'm sure the disc channel works differently from the others, so this would be pretty tough to pull off. Is it even possible?
Re: DVDx Disc channel integration
June 14, 2010 07:18AM
It would require modifying the (or creating a new) System Menu, so it's probably not going to happen.
June 14, 2010 08:03AM
Yeah I thought so. The disc channel is more part of the menu than the others, I assume? Well, I'd still propose a dedicated DVD playing app. None of the current media players have gotten it quite right. WiiMC has a pretty good interface, but a ton of problems. From what I've seen, MPlayer CE has near-perfect DVD playback, but the interface is god-awful and the menus can't be navigated. Could someone build on that code and make it easy to navigate? If they did that, MPlayer CE could be turned into the ideal dedicated DVD player app.
June 14, 2010 05:59PM
WiiMC is built on a lot of code from MPlayer CE I believe (made by a few of the same people), so there shouldn't be much difference. In time, most bugs should get worked out.
June 20, 2010 11:39PM
There could be a channel made to look like the Disc Channel that, when launched, checks to see if a Wii, GameCube, or movie disc is inserted, then load it however possible.
June 21, 2010 02:59PM
InTrepidCognito
There could be a channel made to look like the Disc Channel that, when launched, checks to see if a Wii, GameCube, or movie disc is inserted, then load it however possible.

No there couldn't. Disc channel loads banner from disc and displays, and other channels can't do that becuase disc channel isnt a true channel.

You could make one that looks like an empty disc channel...

Another option I thought of is this: Patch the System Menu so that instead of loading the disc when the disc channel is launched, it'll load a dol/elf from the sd card, e.g. sd:/disc.elf or something. Then, it would show the correct banner, and could be set to load TinyLoad or something, allowing region free.
June 21, 2010 05:38PM
SifJar
InTrepidCognito

No there couldn't. Disc channel loads banner from disc and displays, and other channels can't do that becuase disc channel isnt a true channel.

I didn't say anything about the banner, the dol injected into the channel could load the disc however necesary after it's launched.
June 21, 2010 08:49PM
InTrepidCognito
SifJar
InTrepidCognito

I didn't say anything about the banner, the dol injected into the channel could load the disc however necesary after it's launched.

You said it could look like disc channel. Only way it can do that is if it shows banner of inserted game if you ask me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login