Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Time/date synchronization

Posted by jerako2 
Time/date synchronization
December 25, 2010 08:28PM
I am new here, and am hoping this is not a topic that has already been dealt with. I tried different search parameters and could not find anything. I did find in a Google search where someone had asked this question on a different board, but never really got an answer.

Is it possible to write a small homebrew app to sync the Wii's internal time/date clock with an Internet time server? My programming skills are limited, but if someone can give me some pointers (even links to tutorials), I'd like to give it a try. Alternatively, if one of the more experienced programmers wanted to take this on, I could probably come up with a donation to help make it worthwhile.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Time/date synchronization
December 25, 2010 08:45PM
yes, i believe you need to edit the SYSCONF file. [www.wiibrew.org]
it contains a value
IPL.CB 	LONG 	4 	 Counter Bias -- difference between RTC and local time, in seconds

and theres already some functions in libogc to get RTC.
u32 __SYS_GetRTC(u32 *gctime)

so, make your program to go fetch the current time from online, maybe do a line or 2 of math, and slap the correct value in SYSCONF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2010 09:16PM by giantpune.
Re: Time/date synchronization
February 21, 2011 07:49PM
I have written some code that is working but not finished. What I still lack is the code to modify SYSCONF as you described. My search led me here:

\devkitPro\libogc\include\ogc\system.h

I'm probably being overly cautious with this part of it, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that you can brick your Wii if you screw up SYSCONF.

Thank you for the pointers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 06:53AM by jerako2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login