Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metroid Other M save fix channel?

Posted by Discostew 
Metroid Other M save fix channel?
September 28, 2010 09:22PM
For those that haven't heard about it, there is a bug in Metroid Other M where a certain door is supposed to unlock, but sometimes it doesn't, and players would be required to start all over from the beginning if they encountered it.

Currently, Nintendo has two ways to work around it. One requires to do some checks before actually getting to the affect point in the game to avoid it, and the other is to copy the save file to an SD card, and send it in to Nintendo directly. While both are somewhat inconvenient, what if a channel was made to handle the problem?

I don't know if anyone knows where in the file(s) the problem lies. I know I don't, but it's just a thought. Maybe if one was made, and Nintendo hasn't gotten around to something similar, it could be sent to Nintendo as a kind gesture?
Re: Metroid Other M save fix channel?
September 28, 2010 09:47PM
For a start, it couldn't be sent to Nintendo as it would have to be made with homebrew SDK, so they couldn't release it. Secondly, there is no need for it to be a channel as it should only need run once. While if Nintendo were to go down this route, they'd need to make it a channel, as they have no other way of distributing code other than pressing discs, there is no need for this with homebrew. A simle DOL loadable via HBC would be fine.

However, I DO think its a good idea. If someone could find out exactly what Nintendo change in the save file to fix the issue, it should be "relatively" easy for someone to create a small save patcher which would fix the issue. Thanks to HW_AHBPROT, the save file can easily be accessed without any patched IOS, so it would just take a moderately skilled programmer to modify existing save game managers to use HW_AHBPROT, dump the specific save, patch it, and reinstall it. It should mainly be a case of putting together already existing code, and there are many devs in the scene more than competent enough to do the task.

Also, it should be noted that it is probably already possible to "fix" the glitch via homebrew by using Gecko OS to load the game with the walk through walls cheat, walk through the locked door and continue.
October 19, 2010 04:27AM
It wouldn't have to be a wii app, it would be easier (for most people) to just create a windows/mac/*nix program or a script to fix it.
October 19, 2010 09:18PM
Easier for usage perhaps, but I'm pretty certain it'd be a fair bit harder for creating, as you'd have to actually decrypt the save. With a Wii based app, you can access the unencrypted save on the NAND.
November 02, 2010 08:15PM
Said door is in Sector 3, after a Boss battle. if you go back tos ave, the door is locked.
Solution: Dont go back to save. Continue to move on.
If door is locked:
Copy your savefile to Slot 2 and it should work.
Problem sovled.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login