Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homebrew Custom Channel Installation

Posted by TGNCC1701 
Homebrew Custom Channel Installation
October 05, 2010 03:03AM
After getting Homebrew last saturday (I am a n00b, I admit it) I reconnected my Wii to the Internet and installed the updates. Little did I know this would block the installation of custom channels through WADs. I then noticed the channel installers downloadable through Homebrew which would install a redirect channel to a homebrew application (namely, WiiMC, FCE Ultra GX, and Visual Boy Advance GX) worked fine. I was wondering if anyone knew how to make anything like this, or any other method of installing custom channels without the use of WAD installers.
I have been looking through the forums for this and cannot find it.
Re: Homebrew Custom Channel Installation
October 05, 2010 04:47AM
You would probably need to make the installer yourself. For the most part, these installers make use of AHBPROT (the Riivolution channel installer actually uses some secret IOS exploit, IIRC), which fortunately you currently won't find in a WAD installer. It would not be good if this was implemented into a WAD installer, since it would be used for piracy. Therefore, making a separate installer for each channel is the best option.

I doubt that anyone is going to do this for you, as it really is not worth the effort. You are certainly welcome to do it yourself, but again, it probably is not worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 04:51AM by jbc007.
October 05, 2010 08:13PM
jbc007
You would probably need to make the installer yourself. For the most part, these installers make use of AHBPROT (the Riivolution channel installer actually uses some secret IOS exploit, IIRC), which fortunately you currently won't find in a WAD installer. It would not be good if this was implemented into a WAD installer, since it would be used for piracy. Therefore, making a separate installer for each channel is the best option.

I doubt that anyone is going to do this for you, as it really is not worth the effort. You are certainly welcome to do it yourself, but again, it probably is not worth it.

FYI, I'm fairly sure it would be relatively simple for a half experienced coder to rip the necessary code from dop-Mii to patch an IOS on-the-fly using HW_AHBPROT and then stick it in a WAD installer and have it work with no actual patched IOS. And I have heard rumours that such a tool is coming...
October 05, 2010 10:32PM
I'm sure it's easy for someone who has any idea what he is doing, and that an AHBPROT compatible WAD installer will eventually be released. However, due to the piracy problem, it would be better if this did not happen, so we don't want to encourage it. Of course, it would never be supported by WiiBrew. While it would be no harder to make such an installer for an individual channel (thereby preventing its use for piracy), this is not worth the effort for the average user; many of whom do not have any programming experience.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 10:35PM by jbc007.
October 05, 2010 10:44PM
I agree completely, just felt like mentioning that information. I think its best if channels are distributed as installers instead of WADs, with custom written, closed-source installers (so they can't be modified for piracy). Sadly a lot of channel makers probably aren't skilled enough as programmers to do this :(
October 06, 2010 12:09AM
That would be ideal. However, it would be impractical for people creating their own channels with CustomizeMii.

On a side note, I wounder if such WADs could be installed with a non-formatting build of Comex's NAND Formatter.
October 06, 2010 08:34PM
I don't know, but I had a thought: Perhaps someone could run a service where they would pack peoples custom channels into installers for them (with a quick check to make sure they're not warez first).Of course, this would take a lot of that person's time, and it would mean it would take longer from making a channel to being able to install it...
October 07, 2010 04:01AM
I doubt that anyone would actually be willing to do that. Besides, it wouldn't really be any easier for the user, since getting a trucha bugged IOS really isn't that difficult.
October 10, 2010 06:10PM
What if someone made a base installer. They could release the source code, and all the developer of the channel would have to do is change one or two lines of code, and include the channel. This way a custom installer is created in a quick and easy way.
October 10, 2010 10:58PM
g_man
What if someone made a base installer. They could release the source code, and all the developer of the channel would have to do is change one or two lines of code, and include the channel. This way a custom installer is created in a quick and easy way.

Yeah, as would an installer for a pirated VC or WW WAD. I sincerely hope this does not happen. (But it will inevitably eventually happen)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2010 10:59PM by SifJar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login