Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Web browsing with linux?

Posted by redted1888 
Web browsing with linux?
November 09, 2010 02:46PM
With the homebrew web browser going absolutely nowhere, I was wondering:

Is it possible to run linux on the wii, then run a linux based web browser capable of handling flash 9/ html 5 and thus be able to use tv streaming websites such as (in the UK) 4od, seesaw, youtube(4od etc)
Re: Web browsing with linux?
November 09, 2010 05:29PM
redted1888

Is it possible to run linux on the wii, then run a linux based web browser capable of handling flash 9/ html 5 and thus be able to use tv streaming websites such as (in the UK) 4od, seesaw, youtube(4od etc)

Why not just use the Internet Channel. As for your question, why don't you try it yourself.

Wiibrew
The kernel itself can communicate with nearly all Wii peripherals; Wii Remotes, Wi-Fi, USB.
November 09, 2010 05:48PM
DarkFlasher
redted1888

Why not just use the Internet Channel. As for your question, why don't you try it yourself.

Wiibrew
The kernel itself can communicate with nearly all Wii peripherals; Wii Remotes, Wi-Fi, USB.

The internet channel doesnt support Flash 9/html 5

I don't have linux installed so can't try my idea out - that's why i'm asking
November 09, 2010 06:10PM
I don't think you will get very far. The wii is limited on memory and CPU speed. And gnash (only flash player that has chance of working on the Wii) does not have great compatibility with the normal flash player.
November 09, 2010 08:30PM
The problem with running the internet on the wii, is that it is likely it will run out of RAM. Most games, videos... won't work because of the wii's limited RAM. So it is going to be very very hard if not impossible without lots of hacking involved.
November 10, 2010 01:38PM
ah right! damn the RAM!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login