Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Starlet and Broadway

Posted by kwirky 
Starlet and Broadway
June 02, 2009 06:12PM
How do they interact? The Broadway PPC code runs on IOS which runs on the Starlet?
Re: Starlet and Broadway
June 03, 2009 08:32PM
otherway round:
Starlet ARM = Boot0,1,2,IOS,BC,MIOS and MINI
Broadway PPC = Sys Menu, Discs,Channels,.DOL's and .ELF's
June 05, 2009 05:21PM
How does the PPC code calls the read, write, ioctl from IOS? Does a IOS run on the ARM?
June 06, 2009 11:23AM
I know nothing of the PPC <-> IOS, But IOS runs on the ARM
June 07, 2009 02:11PM
kwirky
How does the PPC code calls the read, write, ioctl from IOS? Does a IOS run on the ARM?

Start reading here:

[wiibrew.org]
[wiibrew.org]
[git.infradead.org]

(Note that the last code, in savezelda, was the first ever reimplementation of the IOS IPC -- it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles that libogc's code does, but it's simpler and easier to start with to understand what is going on. We used that code to, among other things, reset ES and load in an ELF file from SD.)
March 30, 2010 09:19PM
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have some questions about the Starlet.

Specifically: when not "off", is it possible to execute code on it? And above all: how?

According to the page onIOS, "Communication with IOS from PPC code is done using an IPC mechanism". Looking at this code gave me a little insight, but I'm still confused.

Is the Starlet just for IOS? Can it be used whilst running a homebrew app? I've been reading through the technical manuals to see how to interact with the coprocessor. I'm having trouble figuring out how to pass an instruction to the ARM.

Did any of that even make sense?
April 02, 2010 02:42AM
From what I understand, you can run whatever code you want on it with Bootmii ( [wiibrew.org] ) and Mini ( [wiibrew.org] ). I don't know how though and I'm not even sure about it. Unfortunately, you can't communicate with the wiimotes unless IOS is run unless you write PPC bluetooth drivers (if I've got things right), so that's a disadantage. I think you'll have even more problems as libogc assumes IOS is available I think (but you should be able to compile things like you would for gamecube, shouldn't you?). I don't know if you can run custom code on the ARM while IOS is running.

Recommended reading: [hackmii.com], [hackmii.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login