Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Wiibrew Wiki HackMii Blog

Advanced

Idea for new Wii exploits?

Posted by XICO2KX 
Idea for new Wii exploits?
December 03, 2010 12:04PM
Re: Idea for new Wii exploits?
December 03, 2010 04:34PM
The ease of finding exploits depends on whether or not Nintendo were lazy and used open libraries, or wrote proprietary ones. If the later, its much harder to find exploits AFAIK.

Also, I believe in v1.1, they removed the music playing, so no MP3, AAC or M4A (I thought AAC and M4A were the same anyway? Maybe I got confused...)
December 06, 2010 01:59AM
December 07, 2010 02:52PM
December 07, 2010 06:18PM
Yeah I don't think you can just 'make' an exploit just because it loads files from an SD card.
December 08, 2010 11:01AM
February 08, 2011 06:43PM
February 09, 2011 05:20PM
February 09, 2011 08:13PM
Maybe if someone would release the source to Smash Stack, or it's JAP clone, maybe that would help us PAL Wii owners.
February 09, 2011 08:32PM
Its being ported to PAL (by several different people/groups of people I think), be patient ;)
February 09, 2011 08:40PM
Fine fine. I'll stop hijacking this thread. Nut how can it be being ported without the source? Is Comex's USA version or Y.S's JAP version open source?
February 09, 2011 10:38PM
It's probably being cloned. Although I'd also say ported because the same stack overflow is being used.
February 10, 2011 03:03AM
February 10, 2011 06:01PM
February 10, 2011 06:22PM
February 10, 2011 07:34PM
February 24, 2011 10:50PM
February 24, 2011 11:21PM
Thanks for the technical writeup lewurm, it's nice to see such an in-depth post. It's true that even if a reliable exploit was found in the Internet Channel I'm sure Nintendo would just pull what they did with Sudoku on the DSi Shop.
February 25, 2011 09:12AM
But many people have the internet channel installed already, making it quite a nice attack vector. The issue I see with releasing an page based exploit is that people also could use it for bad things. Goto url X to brick your Wii.

I looked trough the list of opera exploits above, and only a few are remote code execution, and they all don't seem to crash the wii. I figured if I can find some way to crash the Wii I can take it from there. But they seem to depend on allocation of large amounts of memory, that the Wii doesn't have.

The opera 'engine' is pretty secure I would assume. Maybe it's more likely that you'll find an exploit in code custom for the Wii. Trough the bookmark system for example? The internet channel saved data seems to be protected from copying to SD, but does that also mean if you have a copy of it on your SD card (by means of Banana Saves for example) that you cannot copy it back? Else you might be able to build a custom internet channel save with a too long bookmarked URL that exploits the channel.
February 26, 2011 05:02AM
I must say that lewurm has put more time and effort into this than I would be able to in a month. First I guess I should say that I don't have much of a programmer/hacker background, I do know how to pick apart small pieces of code and sometimes if I'm lucky make them do what I want. I'm also a construction worker and I have a small child so I don't have a lot of time to devote to this either.

Daid you bring up a few good points. First, a malicious URL that would brick your wii would definitely be bad. Second, if I were able to exploit the internet channel to run code how do I run the code? It's kind of a catch 22. I would like to be able to softmod a wii by going to a specific url, but if I crash the internet channel how would I have access to the needed files? Would it be possible to edit the code for smash stack and maybe launch via "file://" link or something similar in internet channel?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.