Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Benifets?

Posted by TopGun96 
Benifets?
January 19, 2010 03:47AM
I have never used Linux. Therefore, I do not know what the benifets of wii Linux are. Could someone explain it to me? Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 03:47AM by TopGun96.
Re: Benifets?
January 19, 2010 03:55AM
If you need to use a USB accessory that requires a driver and it has a Linux driver you can install it and use it on the Wii, that is one benefit. Other than that I do not know. I do not use it either, but I heard someone mention this once so I thought I would bring it up. Later.

Elmoreas
January 19, 2010 01:24PM
Compared to a computer?

None whatsoever, besides that the Wii is cheaper.
January 19, 2010 02:52PM
No, compared to a wii without Linux....
January 19, 2010 05:43PM
Compared to a Wii without linux: It has linux! =P

Basically it means you have a full operating system on your wii, you can use some linux programs, you can browse the internet, listen to music off iPods, install any Linux package you want, download any files you want, have decent file management, have text editing, have a bittorrent client, the list goes on.

There are endless possibilities of things you can do.
January 19, 2010 06:02PM
SifJar
Compared to a Wii without linux: It has linux! =P

Basically it means you have a full operating system on your wii, you can use some linux programs, you can browse the internet, listen to music off iPods, install any Linux package you want, download any files you want, have decent file management, have text editing, have a bittorrent client, the list goes on.

There are endless possibilities of things you can do.
Sounds good to me. *Ponders about the possibility of installation.*
January 19, 2010 09:49PM
Installation is very simple if you run linux.

1) Get files.
2) Install Bootmii
3) Repartition SD card as to have a ext2 partition.
4) Extract files onto Linux partition as root.
5) Put files on HBC partition.
January 20, 2010 01:11AM
Why do you need BootMii?

AFAIK, the linux partition is not written to the NAND, but to an external device so there would be no reason to have to restore to get rid of linux.
January 20, 2010 01:17AM
BootMii is for MINI so you can use mike
January 20, 2010 01:22AM
Oh, how cool. I didn't know that (like most people, I'm just learning too).
January 20, 2010 02:15AM
So if I install Linux, does it install to the SD card or the NAND. Like Arikado, I'm am just learning about this. Btw, how would one go about formatting an SD with the ex2 partition on a mac?
January 20, 2010 02:16AM
It installs to a partitioned SD card and doesn't touch the NAND. I'm not sure about Linux partitioning on a Mac though..
January 20, 2010 03:44AM
Thanks. How does bootmii work with MIKE?
January 20, 2010 03:56AM
Well IIRC, MIKE comes with an armboot.bin and ppcboot.elf that you can put in the "BootMii" folder and it will load MIKE when you turn on your Wii instead of BootMii.
January 20, 2010 04:09AM
Oh, I thought that you could launch it through MINI.
January 20, 2010 04:15AM
Maybe you can, but I'm not sure..
January 20, 2010 04:33AM
Thanks for all the help. Sounds like Wii Linux could be useful....
January 20, 2010 01:32PM
I think you can launch the MiKe .elf through the MINI loader in BootMii instead of replacing Ceiling Cat (BootMii GUI) if you want. Also, you can install Linux to either SD card or a USB drive, but to install on a USB drive you have to hex edit the MiKe .elf afaik.
January 20, 2010 01:40PM
bg4545
Well IIRC, MIKE comes with an armboot.bin and ppcboot.elf that you can put in the "BootMii" folder and it will load MIKE when you turn on your Wii instead of BootMii.

You could also probably just launch the ELF through Ceiling Cat's SD program loader.
January 20, 2010 02:37PM
Will This guide work for formatting the SD with the ext2 partition?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login