Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Farter's new RGB Framebuffer

Posted by Novaheart 
Farter's new RGB Framebuffer
July 12, 2011 06:15PM
Farter recently figured out a way to emulate the RGB framebuffer that Linux uses from the YuY buffer that Wii uses. The link is on the GC-Linux's newsspace on the front page.
The problem is that I've been having trouble trying to get it to work because of depmod insisiting on using /lib/modules/2.6.43-isobell-wii rather then the RGB kernel's folder. And its frustrating me to no end that I can't run Wlan0.
Re: Farter's new RGB Framebuffer
July 14, 2011 03:44PM
Which version of Wii Linux are you running?
Whiite has its own network configuration tool which sometimes doesn't work because the wireless lan interface is detected as wlan2 or some other name instead of wlan0.
It happened to me, and what I did was set up the wireless lan using the network configuration tool and then I edited the configuration file and replaced wlan0 with wlan2 (which was the name my interface was detected)
Keep us up on your progress with the RGB framebuffer
Cheers
July 15, 2011 05:48AM
Whiite Lenny 1.10.
Trying to run wlan0 or 2 just gives me a no such device error when I use the rgb FB elf
July 18, 2011 02:35PM
How are you running it?
To get the best network adapter compatibility you need to run it from or as bootmii, when executed from the Homebrew Channel the wifi adapter might not be detected.
Cheers
July 24, 2011 01:49AM
Okay got it running however......
First off you need to run modprobe b43 each time to get wifi working. Anyone know how to automate this?
The false buffer works well, though I still have to use fluxbox instead of lxde.
Maybe more improvement is needed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2011 07:10PM by Novaheart.
July 08, 2013 08:53AM
just add b43 to /etc/modules
July 11, 2013 04:59AM
One of the following should work...
1) Add it to the list of modules to be initialized on boot (as mentioned above)
2) Add "modprobe b43" to /etc/rc.local before the exit line and make it executable (Option #1 is better)
3) Compile a kernel with the b43 module built-in

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2013 05:02AM by DeltaResero.
August 16, 2013 05:15AM
Fishears recently uploaded binaries of a kernel with the farter patch. I downloaded it and tried it and found that it solved the overscan problem in Ubuntu. It also fixed a bug in text mode where characters after the cursor would change colours when you typed or hit backspace. I'd very much like to make these binaries available as part of my instructions for running Ubuntu on the Wii. However, I noticed that fishears took the download down shortly after putting it up.

My question is this: Would I be allowed to copy the relevant binaries to ubuntuone.com and link to them for the newest Ubuntu Wii guide? Are there legal or other considerations barring this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 04:21PM by q885.
August 23, 2013 10:00AM
@q885 - sorry for the late reply - I don't get on here very often. I think the kernel I linked to was Farter's own build which you can download from the link towards the bottom of this blog entry. If that is the kernel you're referring to then you should ask Farter for permission to re-host (he does still check comments on his blog). Or you can try my kernel and if it works for your purposes then you're free to share it in any way you like. It's got Farter's patch included.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login