Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Fit Plus semi-bricked my vWii! Please help...

Posted by PANMUSIC 
Wii Fit Plus semi-bricked my vWii! Please help...
October 07, 2013 06:35AM
I had never a problem with my Wii U until the day I tried Wii Fit Plus.After that day,when I try to boot vWii,the message displayed says that the system files are corrupted.

The "system files are corrupted" problem started as soon as my girlfriend asked me to live with me and to start exercising with Wii Fit Plus and her Balance Board using my Wii U.

I copied hers save file to an SD card and copied it to my vWii. And this was the begining to my problems.

Of course,the save file was not recognizable as Wii Fit Plus uses the Miis that are stored to Wii's nand.

I googled the problem and I have to say that this is a common bug that many people have experienced in the past using Wii Fit from their Wiis.

Unfortunately,none has found a definite solution and I think that I may be the first one that has a semi-brick using vWii with this bug.

- I deleted the Wii Fit Plus save file both from system memory and SD card.

- I deleted some SD card saves that MIGHT be corrupted.

- I tried to boot vWii without the SD card inserted.

- There were some rumours that if you let the system on for a whole night in "The system files are corrupted" screen,Nintendo does an online check and the system downloads the missing/corrupted files again.

Unfortunately,NOTHING works. (And yes,I have the latest official firmware 4.0.0E if I remember correctly.)

So,no NAND backup restore option for vWii yet and no Format option either (at least for vWii only,I do not want to format my Wii U too) , so what can I do?

I assume that Wii Fit Plus uses some specific IOS that has been corrupted.But which IOS? And most importantly,how can I restore it (assuming my bold theory is correct)?

Is there any viable solution please?

EDIT: I made a VERY interesting discovery I forgot to mention.

The "System files are corrupted" screen appears the first time I boot vWii ONLY.

(By using the quick vWii method by holding B button in Wii U's start up screen , or by selecting the Wii channel.)

I manage to boot vWii by using the maintenance mode and after that I load a Channel (any one).When I exit the Channel, System Menu loads 100% perfectly all the time.

The only exception is when I try to return to System Menu from HBC. Hmm...

Anyway,this means that the problem is there only the first time the console boots vWii.

I hope that this may be useful...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2013 06:39AM by PANMUSIC.
Re: Wii Fit Plus semi-bricked my vWii! Please help...
October 07, 2013 12:19PM
It's not an IOS problem, it sounds like the system menu's message box (the file that holds all the daily play logs and any achievement type messages created by games - I think wii fit posts some of these, wii play does when you earn new medals and mario kart also does when you create a new licence) is corrupt somehow. Normally a system format would clean it out but since that's not an option see if you can find an app to manually delete the file from the NAND - it's called /title/00000001/00000002/data/cdb.vff and doesn't require any special permissions or patches to be modified. When the system menu can't read it, it shows another message saying something about the system files being damaged and recreated after which you should be good to go.
October 07, 2013 07:27PM
First of all,thank you VERY MUCH for your reply!

May I ask you how safe is it to delete this file permanently from NAND?

And after that,is it necessary to replace the damaged file with a new one?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2013 07:32PM by PANMUSIC.
October 07, 2013 09:30PM
It's safe. As I said, when the system menu finds it missing it will show a new message saying the mailbox has been rebuilt.
October 07, 2013 09:44PM
Thanks a lot!

I will use a Wii program named AnyTitle Deleter and I will report back tomorrow!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2013 06:16AM by PANMUSIC.
October 07, 2013 10:19PM
I don't think that program deletes individual files...
October 08, 2013 12:15AM
Nope, AnyTitle Deleter is definitely not the tool to use here, it only deletes full titles (e.g. channels, IOS etc.) I don't know of any (competent) program that deletes individual files from NAND. FSToolbox can do it, but I believe it doesn't rebuild the file table afterwards, which could be an issue (or perhaps it'd be fine, but I personally wouldn't take the risk; it's up to you).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2013 12:15AM by SifJar.
October 08, 2013 06:46AM
I just tried FSToolbox but it seems that it can only copy individual files to SD card and not delete them.

I also tried the latest version of WiiExplorer and while it has full nand access in normal Wiis to edit and delete nand files,it seems that in the vWii cannot open the "data" folder.

I am completely in the dark ... I cannot find any app for this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2013 03:19PM by PANMUSIC.
October 10, 2013 07:13AM
Today I tried to flash another cdb.vff file (I had dumped it using FSToolbox months before my semi-brick with Wii Fit Plus) and I can confirm that the problem is still there.

So,the source of the problem seems to be something else...

:-(
October 10, 2013 07:20AM
Not necessarily. You have to delete the file to force the system menu to rebuild everything from scratch. Copying another file over the top won't fix messed up filesystem permissions, for example.
October 10, 2013 07:35AM
tueidj
Not necessarily. You have to delete the file to force the system menu to rebuild everything from scratch. Copying another file over the top won't fix messed up filesystem permissions, for example.

Thanks for your response!

But how can I delete this file? I cannot find any app that lets you deleting files from nand.
October 13, 2013 10:36AM
I finally found a way to delete the cdb.vff file from Vwii's nand.

vWii took longer to boot after that,10-15 seconds longer (though there was not any message saying the mailbox bas been rebuilt) and now I am pretty sure that my message is completely empty.

The problem is that the "system files are corrupted" screen is still present everytime I boot vWii normally (without using maintenance mode) for the first time. :-(

If I boot it using maintenance mode I can start a legit channel (except HBC) and upon exiting,System Menu starts normally with all the functions working (message board and SD card access.)
October 13, 2013 12:37PM
Have you tested any other homebrew apps (besides HBC) that exit directly to the wii menu?
October 13, 2013 01:05PM
Unfortunately,all my apps are running through HBC.

I tried every app that gives the option to exit directly to the wii menu and here are my results.

By booting HBC through maintenance mode NOTHING returns to Wii System Menu. (WiiExplorer,SaveGame Manager and some emus)

By booting HBC through the alternative method
(-boot Wii with maintenance mode
-Start any legit channel like Mii Channel and exit
-after that vWii functions perfectly again with message board and SD card detected )

EVERY app I tried succesfully returns to System Menu.
October 15, 2013 11:30AM
I tried AnytitleDeletermod7.1 and as soon as I load IOS236 the following message displayed from the app.

WARNING

"Error: YourSystem Menu and SYSCONF regions differ!
Infact your Sysmenu is 2 while Sysconf is -24578.
Maybe you are in a semi-brick state? In any case,
proceed with caution or your situation could become worst!"

I exited without doing anything else!

Does this message bring any light to my problem?
October 15, 2013 01:44PM
It's a bug in the app. All existing homebrew programs are unable to read the SYSCONF file on vwii due to a mistake in libogc.
-24578 = -0x6002 = CONF_ENOENT / Setting not found.
October 15, 2013 05:45PM
Thanks!

So,I can exclude this possibility.

At square one again... :-(
May 26, 2014 09:22AM
Unfortunately,there is no solution till today and the only way to enter vWii is via the maintenance mode trick.

But today I tried to play some Wii games and upon saving I noticed something very weird. The save's date and time are completely off. For example my latest save appears to be created at 10/08/2001.

I know that vWii's date and time can easily be fixed by addressing Wii U menu settings. I am absolutely sure and I have double-checked that Wii U displays the correct date and time while vWii NOT.

I suppose this is the cause of the semi-brick because this causes a lot of problems at vWii's message board.

So,is it possible to correct vWii's date and time and -if my assumptions are correct - solve the semi-brick problem once and for all?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login