Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

portlibs - Tremor

Posted by Titmouse 
portlibs - Tremor
April 28, 2011 07:37PM
Anyone know of an optimised Ogg decoder somewhere that uses floating point? Tremor seems very CPU heavy as its integer based.
But at a pinch I'm happy to use tremor as it does what I need.

This bit may help others....
It took me a while to find the ogg decoder 'tremor-lowmem-ppc.tar' found at [sourceforge.net]
(Didn’t look in portlibs at first coz I thought it was about ports - guess it stands for "portable libraries")

Also I don't think any wii brew pages have a link for Tremor - I only found out it existed as one of the sound libs talked about it.
Anyone mind it I add a few links to any missing libs to the Wii Brew 'List of development tools?
Re: portlibs - Tremor
April 28, 2011 10:56PM
What makes you think Tremor uses more CPU because it's integer based?
April 29, 2011 12:58AM
Here's a quick test using MPlayer.

Tremor:
BENCHMARKs: VC: 0.000s VO: 0.000s A: 13.958s Sys: 0.021s = 13.980s
BENCHMARK%: VC: 0.0000% VO: 0.0000% A: 99.8479% Sys: 0.1521% = 100.0000%

ffvorbis:
BENCHMARKs: VC: 0.000s VO: 0.000s A: 7.413s Sys: 0.022s = 7.435s
BENCHMARK%: VC: 0.0000% VO: 0.0000% A: 99.6976% Sys: 0.3024% = 100.0000%
April 29, 2011 09:47AM
ffvorbis might be 50% faster, but decoding OGG isn't a really expensive operation. GuitarsOnFire decodes up 3 ogg streams at the same time in realtime without any problems, while doing all the other game logic.
Also, I think ffvorbis makes heavy use of SIMD instructions, so comparing them on x86 is not a fair game.

If you see 'performance' problems due to OGG playback then it's IO related. When I tried to stream OGG files from SD cards with GuitarsOnFire I ran into all kinds of performance problems. I don't know if it's libogc/libfat or hardware related, but streaming more then 1 ogg file from SD card at a time caused problems for me. So I just load the whole files in memory and then stream the file from memory.
April 29, 2011 10:29AM
Thanks everyone,
Yes looks like one of my bottle necks was mainly I/O
I’m now decoding the stream(s) to memory first at game start-up, my plan was to generate wav’s and store them to SD on the very first run, but it looks like it’s going very quick using just memory and decoding each time at start-up.

As for Tremor using more CPU time – Floating point emulation just does!
I’m not having a go at tremor; its whole design is to avoid floating point, which is a fantastic feat.
Tremor (Wii lib is the low mem version) is quick but it’s never going to be as accurate or as optimised as something decoding ogg’s using a FPU.
April 29, 2011 11:19AM
Hum, fixed-point was generally used because it is more optimized than floating-point, not the contrary, because calculations using FPU were slower than calculations using Integer Unit. That's might not be the case anymore on modern DSPs or some CPU but I doubt the Wii PowerPC is more efficient with floating point instructions (see this article: [www.mactech.com] )

Sure fixed-point is less accurate because of the limited bits resolution but I doubt you are going to notice any differences in case of OGG decoding.
April 29, 2011 11:20AM
If you want fast I/O you can use the /tmp directory on the wii's NAND. There's nothing important in there and it gets wiped every time a new IOS is loaded. Perfect for buffering large game files (or virtual memory, if you're hardcore).

I would say benchmark the floating point decoder again (on the wii) with a concurrent thread running that is also using the floating point registers. Normally libogc cheats when doing thread context switches by not saving/restoring the FPRs, but it can't do that if more than one thread is using floating point (such as a graphical game with music decoding happening in a separate task). This would knock down the performance gain a bit, considering it has to go through an exception handler to do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 11:30AM by tueidj.
April 29, 2011 11:27AM
ekeeke
Hum, fixed-point was generally used because it is more optimized than floating-point, not the contrary, because calculations using FPU were slower than calculations using Integer Unit. That's might not be the case anymore on modern DSPs or some CPU but I doubt the Wii PowerPC is more efficient with floating point instructions (see this article: [www.mactech.com] )

Tremor was designed for embedded applications where a FPU wasn't available, or implemented via software emulation. Think early ARM CPUs, like all those old nokia and winCE devices. The PowerPC is (comparatively) a beast when it comes to FPU, plus it lightens register pressure (freeing up GPRs by using FPRs instead).
(Rolling your own fixed-point assembly routines is never a bad thing though.)
April 29, 2011 01:44PM
All this has given me another thought!

If something is doing tones of maths and not using the FPU, maybe share some of the workload with the FPU so it can do it in parallel. I’m guessing it would work.
Now this is a wild guess, but hell you might even find that doing everything in floats is more efficient due to the wii’s architecture, after all the FPU is build to crunch numbers.
April 29, 2011 05:00PM
Daid
Also, I think ffvorbis makes heavy use of SIMD instructions, so comparing them on x86 is not a fair game.

Actually, this was a Wii benchmark.
April 29, 2011 05:52PM
Titmouse
All this has given me another thought!

If something is doing tones of maths and not using the FPU, maybe share some of the workload with the FPU so it can do it in parallel. I’m guessing it would work.
Now this is a wild guess, but hell you might even find that doing everything in floats is more efficient due to the wii’s architecture, after all the FPU is build to crunch numbers.
That's pretty much what my previous comment was about, re: PowerPCs being awesome at floating point (which is part of the reason they're used for all the big name consoles) and FPRs vs. GPRs. We already know it's not a wild guess due to Extrems' benchmark... my remaining question is how well does it stand up when the extra step of switching the FPU state is needed after switching threads. There's more info about what I'm talking about in this thread (did you ever track down that bug Eke?).
April 30, 2011 02:48PM
tueidj
There's more info about what I'm talking about in this thread (did you ever track down that bug Eke?).

Nope, i gave up investigating that one since the workaround (disabling interrupts during FPU calculations) did the trick
April 30, 2011 06:01PM
Definitely sounds like a callback or timer-triggered function (using SYS_SetAlarm/SYS_SetPeriodicAlarm) was using floating point. I've seen it happen when a timed callback is used to poll the wiimote.
April 30, 2011 09:28PM
I think you are right, I totally forgot that IRQ_Disable() function would not only disable IRQ Exception but also Decrementer Exception, which is responsible of alarm callbacks. I was looking into the various IRQ handlers with no luck but periodic alarm callbacks set by the system could indeed explain the whole issue.

EDIT: Ok now I feel stupid, it was even more simple than that but it's what you said about polling the wiimote that lead me to the solution. My VSYNC handler is indeed programmed to call WPAD_ScanPad, which off course make use of floating point calculations. So the mistake is entirely on my side, not in libogc code (I didn't found any periodic alarm callback that use floating point by the way).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 10:09PM by ekeeke.
April 30, 2011 10:11PM
Actually I took a quick look at the GenPlusGX source, it looks like you're doing WPAD reading in the VI retrace callback - that would cause the same problem.

Edit: Ah you found it too ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 10:12PM by tueidj.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login