Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Poll: Native Mono

Posted by Dykam 
Poll: Native Mono
January 16, 2009 06:49PM
I heard someone wanted to port Mono to the Wii, to run stuff native, instead of using e.g. Linux. I need to know if there is any interest in this. So... and if you're interrested in Mono on Wii, tell which parts you do like to be ported.

And no flaming about "learn C", or "why use slow stuf".
Re: Poll: Native Mono
January 16, 2009 07:38PM
Well, it's already been ported, but it's only available to licensed developers. I assume it uses the official SDK or something like that. [www.mono-project.com]

I'm interested in a curiosity sort of way, since I don't actually use any .Net languages but it would be interesting to have more options for homebrew development.
January 16, 2009 08:24PM
Looks like it must be if it's restricted to Official Nintendo Developers.

Could always try dotGNU instead
January 17, 2009 08:43PM
I would love to see Mono ported, even if only minimally (a basic runtime and corlib).
Yes it's been done with the official SDK, but obviously that's not available to us :/

Also, the newer stuff like LINQ support would be nice (I doubt things like that will be the problem though. Most of the issues would be the mono/io-layer stuff, like threads).
January 19, 2009 04:25PM
AerialX, be online at IRC... need to talk to you about this.

iofthestorm
Well, it's already been ported, but it's only available to licensed developers. I assume it uses the official SDK or something like

that. [www.mono-project.com]
I know, already did some research, and I know some games which use them. But it must be legal... that stuff is licenced.

whodares
Looks like it must be if it's restricted to Official Nintendo Developers.

Could always try dotGNU instead
What do you... mean. Only that specific port of Mono is restricted to Nintendo... We can port it ourselves... DotGnu sucks.
January 19, 2009 11:54PM
Dykam
AerialX, be online at IRC... need to talk to you about this.
Well I'm on often enough, I'll try to catch you. Not sure what you want from me, but I'll surmise what I've accomplished in the past... (not much :P)

1) If you haven't, read this. There's the lack of pthreads (and AFAIK there's no open-source Wii equivalent in place, although I don't know the nature of pthreads), and "Mono's PPC JIT code assumes some things that don't hold on the Wii; we had to use different registers in some places."
2) There are a bunch of dependencies to port... I started on libgc and got it compiling but got stuck on needing a symbol for the address of the end of the stack (or something like that... I forget :P).

I know some games which use them.
Ooh, what games? /curiosity

EDIT: Speak of the devil...
I was under the impression that LWP didn't operate like the intertwining threads you get on an OS and were more explicit, but meh; like I said I don't know the true nature of pthreads. If someone could explain... :)

EDIT2: Hell, I'll actively help you with this if you want. I would like nothing more than Mono on the Wii :P

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2009 02:49AM by AerialX.
February 13, 2009 02:34PM
hi @ all
I would help ,too. What is the state of the port ? Is already a team created ?

Regards
February 23, 2009 01:35PM
Sorry for the late response.

Be online at IRC, between 15:30&19:00 central time.
April 18, 2009 01:12AM
I think a project on assembla would be cool. I talked to a project-mono guy at an expo and he said the project would love to help but isnt allowed to write code or give wii details since they are official developers [mono-project.com]

Maybe someone should post on their forums and ask what is required. I dont expect GTK to be ported but some basics would be cool.

Now that i think about it. What can mono be used if there will be no gui? i certainly havent used mono w/o GUI
May 04, 2009 07:46PM
Gui is just a part of Mono. The two big ones, GTK# and WinForms, both depend on platform dependent libs, so these won't appear in a mono for the wii.

The console is completely and working on Linux and Windows, only different behaviour is the line ending. Same API.
class Program // Should work on every Mono build.
{
	public static void/*or int*/ Main(/*string[] args*/)
	{
		Console.WriteLine("Hello world!");
		string input = Console.ReadLine();
		Console.WriteLine(input);
	}
}

I already talked to the guys of Mono, and know I've to start from scratch, altough I can use the Mono Wii branch as a base... but I can't even get it to build, as for example, pthread is missing from libogc.

If you can get on IRC @ #wiihelp, #wiidev or #wiilinux.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2009 07:52PM by Dykam.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login