Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mii's on HomeBrew!! need a few test before release.

Posted by mdbrim 
Mii's on HomeBrew!! need a few test before release.
March 08, 2010 06:04AM
I've redone libmii to add support for all aspects of your miis. In addition to now being able to view all info about your mii in text form, I've also whipped up some code to graphically represent your miis. I'm going to release the new libmii along with the sprites and GRRLIB code for the graphical part.

Fear not non-GRRLIB users, you'll be able to use the sprites and the explanation to create your own MiiDraw for your graphics library of choice. The sprites and readme breakdown will be there for your help, feel free to use it, or create your own from scratch.

Before i release, however, i'm looking for some quick review... It draws my miis with no problems, i just want to get a larger sampling of miis (since there are all types of crazy ones out there) and then get some feedback on any adjustments or tweaks that need to be done! There are also rumors that nintendo changed the mii code so depending on what system version you have, it may or may not work correctly... these are the things i'm trying to hash out.

If you are interested in taking a look / and or helping out... here ya go!

Thanks!

mdbrim
Re: Mii's on HomeBrew!! need a few test before release.
March 08, 2010 06:50AM
Really cool!

Working perfectly here. I'm running 4.1 (just in case this matters because of what you said). I don't have many crazy ones but those I have showed up as crazy as they're.

I can see Miis all around the homebrew scene!

Once again: really cool!
Aruskano
March 12, 2010 04:10AM
Testing right now... all my Miis showed up just perfect! :D
March 12, 2010 04:14AM
Just tested it. Works well, all the mii's look good on my system.
March 12, 2010 04:46AM
awesome, thanks guys. I'm wrapping my GRRLIB "pluggin" that will let you draw your mii's with options.

IE draw your mii as they are static.
Draw your mii as they are but lifelike (blinking, and with a slight sway)

Draw your mii with a random happy face, Draw your mii with a random sad face
etc.

The idea will be to have your mii's react, and to be able to easily do an

if(normal) DrawNormalMii
elseif(happy) DrawHappyMii
elseif(sad)....

etc.

Going out of town for work for two weeks this weekend so progress will come to a screeching halt!

But, prelim tests are going well!
March 12, 2010 05:04AM
I'm really excited about this and want to add Mii's to my projects. The problem being most of them are SDL based, so having said that. Are you planning to release source so it would be possible to do this? Or, even if you are planning a close source project could I offer my skills to create a version for SDL?

March 12, 2010 05:58AM
oh no, it'll be open source by all means... and even with that i would love to get together with users of other libraries to help them understand what i did, and help them "port" it over to the other graphic libraries. you might not even need my help... ie just look at what i did for grrlib and translate yourself, but i can easily walk folks thru exaclty what i did and why and maybe it'll go faster!

Hell even GRRLIB users can take a look at what i did and come up with a more efficient way.

Progress in the last half hour... the mii's now blink! w00t.

Edit: The link in the first post now points to the blinking version if interested.

Looking for a good random blink code... right now i throw a base of about 4 seconds then add a random amount of time (0-8 seconds)

and that's how long between each blink

so 4 seconds, then the next one could be at 4 again or 12, then maybe 7 etc etc.

it seems to look good / about right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 06:58AM by mdbrim.
March 13, 2010 04:19AM
ack, i just noticed the code dump near the end of your mii viewing.

ignore that, sorry, it's fixed
March 14, 2010 01:40PM
Well great work mdbrim! All my wiis display correctly except one...

which is a fantastic one having eyes on top of his head... I had downloaded this.. the eyes are missing in your preview tool.

taken from mii avatar editor (displays akin to the mii channel)

and here your preview tool shows,

here is the actual mii : Weird mii

and an extra mii shows up in the end which mii extractor or mii channel doesn't show... I got 19 miis but your tool displays 20 . This extra one seems to be a normal mii in the sense that every part of her face is in place but parts are very disproportionate to the head... anyways I took her picture :)

I'm on 3.2 btw, maybe it's related... If it's a version issue than nevermind... Btw I'm looking forward to use this library in Crazy Intro birthday feature...

edit: Well possibly I've found the bug relating to the first case... possibly you are drawing hair after drawing the eyes? Because I can see the eyes wrinkling :) Maybe that's a bugfix rather than a bug... Maybe that's one of the changes in mii channel too...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 01:44PM by I.R.on.
March 14, 2010 02:26PM
Awesome I.R.on, thanks for the feedback and testing!

possibly you are drawing hair after drawing the eyes?

That's exactly what is happening. The funny thing is that's what my mii channel does too. I just made your mii in my mii channel and it puts the hair above the eyes. you're saying that in your mii channel it draws the eyes above the hair? that's crazy!

I have 4.2 and the hair is on top of the eyes hiding them (i can see the very edge of the eyes below the hair). so it's not a bug, just appears to be a version dif. (though i find it hard to believe they changed the hair / eye layer order between versions. but maybe they did!)

Oh well, i would love to get another test on this from other version users... eyes above hair?

It actually draws it pretty well (just they eyes and maybe the eyebrows need to go up a touch). The crazy mii's had me worried, because the farther from normal you had body parts, the more "error" was introduced from my calculations!

And that random mii you see is if all values are 0, because if you keep scrolling to the right, it looks at mii data for mii 20, 21, 22, etc even though you don't have those miis. I just need to put a **for n=0 to number of mii's** thing in there (instead of 0 to 99)... good catch! (i have 100 mii's so all my tests just went to 100... never noticed that!). So for you, Miis 1 thru 19 are yours, then Miis 20 thru 100 are gonna be that default 0 0 mii.

So if you keep scrolling to the right, you won't notice a change, but your miis are actually increasing by 1... IE you may have to go back to the left a number of times to get back to your actually miis. make sense? i'll obviously fix that but for folks who have the current test version.. be aware!

Edit: you know what, it looks like if you go HIGH enough, part of the eyes do go on top of the hair. looks like there is a little strip almost like bangs that the hair shows up underneath, and then if you go high enough eyes are back on top. But even then, i can only get about half of the eyes to be ontop. that may be a fix for the next release (cuz it'll require a redo of all 72 hair sprites and the addition of a few more!) why would nintendo do that to me!!! :D

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 02:50PM by mdbrim.
March 14, 2010 09:37PM
Mii channel got these updates,

With this update, you can now move a Mii from the Mii Plaza to the Mii Parade in the Mii Channel. To do this, simply pick up a Mii using the A and B Buttons and then release it over the Mii Parade icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.

USB keyboard support is available for the Mii Channel

In the recent versions I remember a mingle stuff for miis but couldn't find it in wiibrew in system menu pages.

If I find time I might install 3.3 & 3.4 to sneek and check for this weird mii as to how it displays and on which menu versions this change occurs.

I didn't notice it was going farther right. I know the problem with the indefinite count of miis, I faced it when implementing birthday support in Crazy Intro... It was enough for me to iterate all 100 and check their month & day fields if they are zeroes or not. For you though maybe miiID1-4 or name could be a clue to if the slot is empty or not... I know that was weird, this may not work at all. Waninkoko's mii extractor may reveal something though it lacks sources...(it extracts miis with exact count)

With the weird eyes stuff I think if your current implementation fits with 4.2 then it's better to leave it as is.

Btw, some interesting miis you can see if you enable wiiconnect24 on wii sports resort... To escape licensing fees Ninty grabs famous miis for opponents... garfield, spongebob, mickey mouse, E.T. and so on... I don't remember exactly but there might be a copy mii option there... Of course then there is the mii parade :)

Hope I can find some time to test it further.
April 01, 2010 06:31PM
works great for my miis. 3.2u and the mii channel that went with that. My only issue is that some of them look really grey. like they are sick. But i guess that can be fixed by simply changing a sprite or something. i give this the giantpune stamp of approval.
April 02, 2010 02:36AM
yeah i need to touch up the color portions... i was just taking stabs at it since i can't find any good color tones to match them up with... i'm basically guessing at the color and trial and error.

been gone for three weeks... good to be back... finishing her up!

It's all done though... just added the finishing touches on the blinking and interface to easy tell your game / code to give a random happy reaction or random sad reaction etc.
April 02, 2010 07:33AM
alright fixed the # of miis problem... it was set to draw 100 miis even if you only had 30. which meant you got your 30 and then 70 random crap ones.

This had to be done this way at first due to the way the mii randomly stores wii's within the block of data (it'll all be clear for those interested when i post the files, readme explanation, examples,and source)

But fixed that so it removes crap data, and just draws the miis you have.

Should be out this weekend.
January 20, 2011 01:28AM
mdbrim
alright fixed the # of miis problem... it was set to draw 100 miis even if you only had 30. which meant you got your 30 and then 70 random crap ones.

This had to be done this way at first due to the way the mii randomly stores wii's within the block of data (it'll all be clear for those interested when i post the files, readme explanation, examples,and source)

But fixed that so it removes crap data, and just draws the miis you have.

Should be out this weekend.

when is this gonna be realesed it has been months
January 20, 2011 06:54PM
It's been out months.

Libmii

Specifically the bottom of the page.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login