Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Asteroids Clone

Posted by owen 
Asteroids Clone
June 23, 2012 08:05PM
here is my work in progress asteroids clone; [owensoft.net]
Its not really a game, since you cannot die and nothing can damage you. It has no music or sound effects and some of the collision detection is kinda wack. The game plays best with a analog stick (nun-chuck,gamecube or classic), press A or C to change the camera view and B to shoot.

I am really not sure where I am heading with it so any suggestions are welcome.

N.B. the colours switch every 6 seconds for the lolz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2013 07:05PM by owen.
Re: Asteroids Clone
June 25, 2012 08:38PM
Given this a quick go under via wii emulator - looking good Owen.

Idea:
Defend your mother ship and mining vessels from pirates while the mining vessels extract stuff from the asteroid belt return it to the mother ship. Each level can be randomly generated with resources stretched out more, later you can add R&D and all the bells and whistles
June 26, 2012 05:26PM
@Titmouse good idea. I think a permanent mothership would be good, although I would have to figure out how to set up the stage so that it does not get raped by asteroids when you fly too far from it. Its tricky because right now, the enemies are killing the asteroids faster than the player. And if the enemies don't defend themselves from the asteroids then they themselves will get blown up.

Plus if I make the stage bigger you see VERY FEW asteroids verses making the stage smaller you end up with TOO MANY asteroids and it becomes a MADHOUSE OF BOUNCY COLLISIONS. Now I know why all the asteroid clones I see don't have asteroid-on-asteroid collisions.
July 04, 2012 06:10PM
I updated it a bit. Removed the colour switching and added a 3d quadtree like data structure to manage the 500 asteroids that are bouncing about at 60fps. Its not perfect since I can only draw 180 asteroids on the screen before I lose frames but I guess 500 is enough,
July 19, 2012 04:51PM
updated it a bit. got the radar working. I feel like just scrapping it and working on something else. but I want to add the weapon powerups from super contra first.

aug 11 2012
added some weapons. turned on the textures and moved the lights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2012 04:25AM by owen.
September 30, 2012 02:45PM
All major features are now in place so its pretty much done, should be able to release it later this week unless new bugs are spotted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2013 02:31PM by owen.
October 06, 2012 12:17AM
Done and Paged; [www.wiibrew.org]
July 07, 2013 07:08PM
Updated the game again. added a online leaderboard score table which can only be described as "flaky" but it works well sometimes. The http stuff I am still trying to debug but I put up the new build so that at least wiibrew gets a update this month. :)

[owensoft.net]

oh an it uses the wii-nickname as the name used for the online highscore table. not sure how people feel about that.
July 13, 2013 02:35PM
things to test;
- that the online leaderboard option loads the results
- only scores above 5000 are posted to the online leader board.
- while playing your score turns yellow if you beat your last high score
- when you bring up the online leader board you will see a faint status message behind the leaderboard that shows when its connecting. if it fails 16 times it will turn off the online data option (which you will have to manually turn back on in the options)

sometimes the network works, sometimes the dns lookup fails, sometimes it just doesn't want to do anything.
July 13, 2013 10:55PM
Cool. I'll possibly test it today.
October 27, 2019 02:16AM
Wow, 5 years later. Version 2.91

Check out my Wiibrew User Page for my project

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2019 02:18AM by owen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login