Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are these legal?

Posted by SifJar 
Are these legal?
June 06, 2009 12:07PM
Hi there. I'm thinking of doing a couple of customizations to my Wii, but I want to check they're legal first. I want to have custom channels for certain apps, using WADder and a legal benzin base WAD. Is that legal, and how do I install the created WAD? Will WADImport do the job? Also, can I legally create a "forwarder channel"?
The other thing is themes. Using MyMenuify, is it legal to install themes?

BTW, my Wii is on 3.3E v2 and has HBC and DVDx installed. Do I need to update to 4.0 for these things or anything?

Thanks for your help.
Re: Are these legal?
June 06, 2009 03:42PM
Wadder is now legal, provided you use the benzin base.
I think themes are legal, but I'd avoid them.
I don't believe you'll need to update.
Beyond those questions, can't help.
June 06, 2009 03:59PM
AFAIK, it's all legal believe it or not. However, you'll need an app other than WAD Import to install them. Google is your friend :)
June 06, 2009 11:59PM
yes, you will need WAD Manager. Just install preloader and it won't brick you. Yes, they are legal. Themes with mymenu and mymenuify are legal too.
June 07, 2009 02:15AM
MyMenuify needs 3.2 or 4.0, from what I can tell. At least, none of the themes in the mym repository at wadder.net are for any other versions.
June 07, 2009 01:34PM
Is WAD manager legal? I thought it wasn't, but it must just be that whole "anti-Waninkoko" thing going on here (No, I'm not a fan myself). So the app is actually legal?
June 07, 2009 01:45PM
Yes, AFAIK, the app itself is legal.
June 16, 2009 06:46AM
Arikado
Yes, AFAIK, the app itself is legal.
Lol. Thats kinda funny. Many people wont use it, just cause its wanin and he makes illegal things, yet his most usefull app is Legal.....
June 16, 2009 01:49PM
I should probably mention that as of right now WADder is currently illegal.
June 16, 2009 06:14PM
but it was legal...?
June 16, 2009 06:49PM
Arikado
I should probably mention that as of right now WADder is currently illegal.

Dawn, is always like that? One week is legal, the another one is illegal... Geez.

I thought the problem before was Ninty's code. Now with Benzin and legal NAND loaders, what's wrong now?
June 16, 2009 06:56PM
Read the wiki page of WADder to get the "official" word. But in short, its banner code again.

Sifjar: It never was legal, icefire just put it on wiibrew claiming it was so we all initially assumed it was.
June 16, 2009 07:04PM
Icefire says that there was a file bundled with the package (supplied by Waninkoko, I think) which contained copyrighted bannercode - noes!

Also, the wiki lists some other infringements which are more ad hominem than the above.
June 17, 2009 06:02PM
Marcan strikes back =P

That's sad, thought... I'm looking forward to a nice and secure tool for customizing the Wii. But seems like there's no safe place to go...
June 17, 2009 06:38PM
And now the creator has been driven out of the scene by marcan. he says he didn't realise the copyrighted stuff, and was about to release a completely legal and useful app (which may have been WADder 3.0), but marcan drove him out of the scene. I thought marcan was a nice guy. he used to be part of team twiizers. but then he "left" the scene. So why is he now driving others who are trying to make useful apps out of the scene, which he is supposedly no longer part of?
June 17, 2009 07:51PM
SifJar
And now the creator has been driven out of the scene by marcan.

How?
June 17, 2009 10:24PM
Marcan stated flaming him for using copyrighted material (which he didnt realise was still in the distributed package) and for not discouraging illegal base wad use. Icefire got fed up and left. you can read about it on wadder.net I believe.
June 18, 2009 10:25AM
Friggin lame. Icefire come back!
June 18, 2009 05:55PM
SifJar
Marcan stated flaming him for using copyrighted material (which he didnt realise was still in the distributed package)

Sorry, I don't buy it. But at least some peaceful alternative could be achieved, right? I mean, this "banhammer syndrome" of Marcan annoys me a little...
June 18, 2009 06:51PM
well he says he didn't realise they were there, and they weren't necessary, he could have removed them if he'd known they were there, if marcan had just politely pointed them out to him. and i trust him. i trust anybody, unless there is evidence to the contrary.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login