Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Black Japanese Wii (and homebrew posibilities)

Posted by bg4545 
Black Japanese Wii (and homebrew posibilities)
July 24, 2009 11:31PM
I was thinking of getting my own Wii (so I can hack all I want without my brother caring...) and I think it'd be pretty cool to get the new black Wii that's coming out in Japan. I was thinking, would I be able to downgrade it and make it a US Wii? (I know, AnyRegion Changer..)

EDIT: Well I don't need to downgrade, just to be able to use AnyRegion Changer without any problems

[www.play-asia.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 07:13PM by bg4545.
Re: Black Japanese Wii
July 25, 2009 02:39AM
Hmm, since its newer, it will probably come pre-installed with 4.1, meaning it won't (AFAIK) have any trucha vulnerable IOS, and doesn't anyregion changer need a trucha IOS to work?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 02:39AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
Re: Black Japanese Wii
July 25, 2009 03:08AM
WaxyPumpkin72
Hmm, since its newer, it will probably come pre-installed with 4.1, meaning it won't (AFAIK) have any trucha vulnerable IOS, and doesn't anyregion changer need a trucha IOS to work?
yeah, there's ways of getting trucha in 4.0+ although i'm not 100% sure they'd work on a brand new Wii. Is there any truth behind the "unsoftmoddable" Wiis?

EDIT: And also, since it's new, I more than likely won't be able to install BootMii-boot2, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 07:14PM by bg4545.
Re: Black Japanese Wii (and homebrew posibilities)
July 26, 2009 12:36AM
On LU64+ Wii's, if you get a cIOS installed you can patch the trucha bug into your IOSes with Dop-IOS, but you shouldn't install the old IOSes as this would cause a brick.

And BootMii IOS would probably be your only option.
July 26, 2009 12:44AM
bg4545
I was thinking of getting my own Wii (so I can hack all I want without my brother caring...)

Why don't you just buy a new wii and let your brother have it, and then you could have the advantages of an older wii (If the one you currently have is older....).

MattMan
And BootMii IOS would probably be your only option.

Which is kind of useless (ATM).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2009 12:45AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
July 26, 2009 01:42AM
I am in a somewhat similar predicament. I love the new black look, but I don't want to lose the expanded functionality of my launch week Wii. I have a feeling that the best option here would to buy a decent black case mod and install that, as well as picking up a black Wii Remote on import.
July 26, 2009 01:45AM
Yeah, I'd say thats a good idea. Good luck! :D
July 26, 2009 03:04AM
WaxyPumpkin72
Why don't you just buy a new wii and let your brother have it, and then you could have the advantages of an older wii (If the one you currently have is older....).
Well I do like the black case and I probably wouldn't be able to do my own case mod (I have 2 sets of PSP remains...). Either way, my brother wouldn't want the new one because that's just how he is..

EDIT:
MattMan
On LU64+ Wii's... ...you shouldn't install the old IOSes as this would cause a brick.
Is that proven to be true? I don't see how it's possible.. And would it brick if any IOS is downgraded? or only the SysMenu IOS?

EDIT2: And it would still be possible to use dvdx34 to enable trucha in IOS35 and install a cIOS to use dop-IOS to be able to use AnyRegion Changer to make the Wii English and U.S. region?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2009 04:54AM by bg4545.
July 26, 2009 07:57PM
You could sprapaint your wii to make it black, then it would look cool, and be softmodible
July 26, 2009 10:50PM
g_man
You could sprapaint your wii to make it black, then it would look cool, and be softmodible
No, because I'd still have to get my own Wii to use for homebrew and it'd be new..
July 27, 2009 04:26AM
The Wii would only brick if the System Menu IOS is downgraded. In fact, to find out if you have an "unsoftmoddable" Wii, you should downgrade IOS35 with CMDVDX34 and then try installing a cIOS using IOS35. If that fails, you know that you have one. In that case, you would have to go the cBoot2 route...
July 27, 2009 04:37AM
MattMan
The Wii would only brick if the System Menu IOS is downgraded. In fact, to find out if you have an "unsoftmoddable" Wii, you should downgrade IOS35 with CMDVDX34 and then try installing a cIOS using IOS35. If that fails, you know that you have one. In that case, you would have to go the cBoot2 route...
Ah.. so cIOS can't be installed on "unsoftmoddable" Wii's.. Would there be another way to "re-trucha" the IOSs necessary for AnyRegion Changer besides dop-IOS (because it uses cIOS)?
Maybe using a modified WAD Manager that runs off of IOS35 (I'm pretty sure one is floating around...) to install older versions of IOSs for ARC to work.. (and not touch the SysMenu or it's IOS)
and I don't know what the cBoot2 way is, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be spoken of here.... I'll look around for more info..
EDIT: Apparently I would need a trucha-bugged boot1 for that (which may or may not happen)

EDIT: forgot a word..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 05:07AM by bg4545.
July 27, 2009 06:32PM
A cIOS can be installed on "unsoftmoddable" Wiis, but IOSes can't be downgraded to a version lower than what came preinstalled on the Wii. And you don't need BootMii boot2; BootMii IOS works fine for the unsupported (but legal) method, the purpose of which is just to get a cIOS installed for Dop-IOS.
July 27, 2009 07:10PM
Okay so it looks like it's possible to do this. If I do get AnyRegion Changer to run, I probably shouldn't install 3.2U right? That would lead to a brick.. Doesn't Waninkoko have a region changing app where you can install curent System Menu versions or something?
July 27, 2009 07:57PM
Right, don't downgrade the System Menu or IOSes. You can still use AnyRegion Changer to change your Wii's settings, but you will have to use Waninkoko's Firmware Downgrader to install 4.0U. If it came with 4.1J installed, you could just install a 4.1U System Menu WAD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 07:58PM by MattMan.
July 27, 2009 08:00PM
Well that's great! I'll try this as soon as I get the Wii :)
July 28, 2009 12:25AM
g_man
You could spraypaint your wii to make it black, then it would look cool, and be softmodible

Damn took the words right outta my mouth! But then again, last time i spray painted something....... Uh, er.....WAIT!!!! Get thee hence evil one, for talking of such despicable pieces of trash!! Waninkoko SHALL BE BURNED!!!!......what?
July 28, 2009 12:28AM
z400100500
g_man
You could spraypaint your wii to make it black, then it would look cool, and be softmodible

Damn took the words right outta my mouth! But then again, last time i spray painted something....... Uh, er.....WAIT!!!! Get thee hence evil one, for talking of such despicable pieces of trash!! Waninkoko SHALL BE BURNED!!!!......what?

On behalf of everyone here...Uh, what?
July 28, 2009 12:50AM
i don't know. SECONDED!!! oh, boy!!! Eh, I was referring to the Waninkoko app used to downgrade. And used the words that my aunt used on me when I was talking to her daughters....about getting my cousin to stop doing pot...she didn't know her little Mar-Bear was such a trouble maker....I DIDN'T DO NUTHIN OFFICER!!!! O and she hasn't lit up in 7 months!!!

*EDIT*: Man you should understand me by now. XJ7 on the starboard end!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2009 12:52AM by z400100500.
July 28, 2009 12:56AM
Edit: Nevermind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2009 12:56AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login