Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need motivation to do homebrew!

Posted by SteelSLasher 
Need motivation to do homebrew!
August 03, 2009 07:46PM
Basically, I need motivation to do some homebrew after I nearly died looking for a chunk decoder that would work with the lwip lib. (That includes making it myself). Now I look back to one of my english assignments which was to make a short story (5 pages long), so I made a Zelda based story and it was pretty good, except for the lack of Zelda-like detail because I didn't my teacher to get suspicious.

Now I want to recreate this story as a game and since the story is done i thought that it would be easier to make the game now, so did research on Zelda graphics and found the best suited to my needs would be the graphics from Four Swords Aventures (the gamecube one). Using my friends gamecube disc i dumped the iso and ran it through dolphin emu and set it to dump the textures since gc games dont use sprites for some reasons.

So i got the textures and the problem now is that i cant be bothered to figure out how each link frame should look like (the textures are randomised body parts) and since my last "failure" in a sense i just lost the enthusiasm.
Re: Need motivation to do homebrew!
August 03, 2009 11:51PM
This would be illegal, because you are using textures from a game. You'd have to make everything from scratch I'm afraid for it to be legal. I know this really isnt motivation, in fact the opposite, but I felt you should be informed.
August 04, 2009 03:05AM
So far Nintendo seems to have nothing against doing that kind of stuff. See Super Mario War as an example.

And by the way. It is not covered under (USA's) fair use.
August 04, 2009 07:07AM
Are the sprites for Super Mario War ripped though? I would image there's a big difference if someone created them verses a copy of the original.
August 04, 2009 08:05AM
I do not know if they are ripped, I actually doubt they are ripped.
August 04, 2009 11:14AM
I'd say they're probably copied. I remember a guy in PSP homebrew who used sprites ripped from a game from a different system and got in a lawsuit. I know thats PSP, but its probably the same idea.
August 04, 2009 02:11PM
What about the billions of pokemon games out there that use pokemon sprites RIPPED from the game, its not as if i am making a profit from it. Its educational.
August 04, 2009 03:01PM
Those are illegal too then, just nobody ever bothered to do anything about it. I'm pretty sure if you rip stuff from a game and use it, its illegal. Then again, I could be wrong.
August 04, 2009 03:29PM
I think SifJar is right, but do not forget, that laws about that are different in every country.

But basicly most (western, rich, industry) countries would agree, that it is illegal.
August 05, 2009 05:12PM
i hate how our western society is built upon taking the chance to cripple everyone around you and then poking them with a mile long stick while screaming at them to get up

btw, i sent an email to nintendos legal dept, lets see if they will ever give the little guy a chance in the big world, it wouldnt be the first time nintendo let 3rd/4th party developers make a game for them (i dont know if i would be 3rd or 4th party, who is the second party, the mailman?)
August 05, 2009 06:12PM
Oookay... odd post.
"4th party" doesn't exist. Second party refers to developers that they own a share of, but not outright.
I'm not really sure what you are trying to achieve by emailing them, though.
August 05, 2009 06:26PM
I highly doubt that if you even get a proper reply, it'll be welcoming you to use their textures in a homebrew game I'm afraid.
August 05, 2009 07:45PM
SifJar
I highly doubt that if you even get a proper reply, it'll be welcoming you to use their textures in a homebrew game I'm afraid.

If i get an improper reply then i could say they aggravated me by not respecting my free will in desiring a realistic reply to my query
August 05, 2009 08:23PM
SteelSLasher
SifJar

If i get an improper reply then i could say they aggravated me by not respecting my free will in desiring a realistic reply to my query

Eh?

If you did not craft a smart email then don't expect any reply.
August 06, 2009 12:37AM
SteelSLasher
i hate how our western society is built upon taking the chance to cripple everyone around you and then poking them with a mile long stick while screaming at them to get up

Why so cynic?
August 06, 2009 12:43PM
when was the last time a corporation gave you something for nothing with no strings attached in any way at all
August 06, 2009 02:04PM
Beyond family members, I don't remember the last time anyone gave me something for nothing, no strings attached.
Where are you trying to go with this? They are out to make a profit - welcome to capitalism?
August 06, 2009 07:02PM
Why are you using a failed strawman, SteelSLasher?

When you create something, you have control over it. That goes for everyone.

Oh and by the way: Microsoft for example had no problems with an user created Masterchief on Unreal Tournamenmt (PS3)
August 06, 2009 07:08PM
I highly doubt it was using a ripped texture from Halo.
August 06, 2009 10:02PM
Of course it wasn't.

It was just an example to show, that some companies do not dislike it, if you use their work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login