Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need motivation to do homebrew!

Posted by SteelSLasher 
Re: Need motivation to do homebrew!
August 06, 2009 10:29PM
That is completely different. It is not illegal to replicate the work, it is illegal to rip it straight out of games and use it.
August 07, 2009 03:29AM
so change a pixel and call it good... like nintendo would even know that you ripped the graphics...

i'm not gonna advocate illegal activity... i mean i'll be the first to bitch about wad and "backup" talk on this forum (ok the second after Arikado) but come on... this is homebrew... i doubt the lawyers are out trolling the forums looking for pirated graphics :D

just don't package and sell your game and you'll be fine.

P.S. if any lawyers are out there trolling and see this, i custom draw ALL my graphics...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 06:34AM by mdbrim.
August 07, 2009 03:51AM
SifJar
That is completely different. It is not illegal to replicate the work, it is illegal to rip it straight out of games and use it.

Is that a reply to my statement?

If so: what is your point? I never said you can't be sued if you rip something and distribute it.
August 07, 2009 12:11PM
daniel_c_w
Why are you using a failed strawman, SteelSLasher?

When you create something, you have control over it. That goes for everyone.

Oh and by the way: Microsoft for example had no problems with an user created Masterchief on Unreal Tournamenmt (PS3)
I cant draw, but i can make 3D game models out of paper!

I will try and find someone over at deviant art, but the problem is how can you make zelda based sprites without them looking to "real", i want sprites that look similar to the ones from FSA since they look cool and smooth and fit the requirements for what i need

Also, there restrictions on what you can do with Halo based creations, you cannot in anyway make profit on halo based creations unless you get permission (red vs blue)

whats a "strawman" and how has it failed?

Beyond family members, I don't remember the last time anyone gave me something for nothing, no strings attached.
Where are you trying to go with this? They are out to make a profit - welcome to capitalism?
What happened to gestures of goodwill? Btw in communism its about the same since you have to work for food but you live in a dictatorship instead so its not better than capitalism, not that i live in a communist state or anything i just listen to my left winged history teacher
August 07, 2009 04:35PM
Personal question: In your moral view, is it Ok to use the work of other people, without having an agreenment with those people?

SteelSLasher
That's cool :-)
Do you have picture's?

Strawman: [en.wikipedia.org]
August 07, 2009 05:49PM
OMG, I really can't believe that you said that about communism.

In a communist state everything is owned by the government. If you stole their work you be take away and never seen again.
August 07, 2009 08:17PM
scanff
OMG, I really can't believe that you said that about communism.

In a communist state everything is owned by the government. If you stole their work you be take away and never seen again.

no you have mixed industry with culture, you cant own culture but you can damn well censor it
August 07, 2009 08:58PM
daniel_c_w
Personal question: In your moral view, is it Ok to use the work of other people, without having an agreenment with those people?
Depends what you are gonna do with it, if you are going to use it in such a way that degrades the author or you exploit it for selfish reasons then i would say it would be wrong to that. But if your use of the work is available freely and you credit the original authors of the resources used then you cant really be labelled as a bad person imo.

BTW, i am now instead going to improve on the FS gba sprites which were ripped but since I am editing them I suppose it must make some difference that I did some work.

daniel_c_w
SteelSLasher
That's cool :-)
Do you have picture's?

I havent finished this one but I have some pictures of me making it, I still have to make the left arm, sword, shield, clothing accessories

[picasaweb.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 09:00PM by SteelSLasher.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login