Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Homebrew - Has it all gone a bit flat?

Posted by robmcp1888 
November 10, 2009 03:20PM
Is it just me or has it all gone a bit flat on the Wii homebrew scene?

I don't mean to be critical as the work that has been done has been amazing, but I'm not really sure what there is to look forward to.

It seems like Nintendo's updates generate more excitement than anything else...

... now something like wii spotify - that would be the business....
Re: Wii Homebrew - Has it all gone a bit flat?
November 10, 2009 08:23PM
Most of the stuff released these days is stuff which isn't really all that useful to the end user e.g. dop-IOS MOD (no disrespect to Arikado, its amazing) - whats the point of having patched IOS these days, the only real use for patched IOS is to install patched IOS... and SNEEK - not that useful really (yes I know no bricks etc, but whats the point when the only dangeous apps are for a) deleting crap you installed or b) enabling your wii for more dangerous stuff, which has little benefit)

I mean absoulutely NO disrespect to either Arikado or crediar, or any other devs making similar stuff, this stuff is all great, but we need more stuff to USE it. Like really good apps which let us take complete control of the Wii and do way more with it. Nothing has been released in a while which REALLY increases the functionality of the Wii.

But I'm in no position to complain, I can't code. I am very grateful to those who can giving up their time to make this stuff. And there is a lot of awesome homebrew out there (the two I mentioned above are great, even if their potential is not fully realised because their full benefit cannot be experienced).
November 10, 2009 10:10PM
At least one Wii Homebrew app is released or updated every day. If you're bored despite the incredible daily influx of new 'brew, develop your own.
November 11, 2009 03:04AM
Basically, what happens now is that people take advantage of the tools that are given to them and make whatever they want, not just "exciting" things. Wii homebrew is now just another open platform. Hundreds of PC applications come out every day, are they all boundary-pushing and exciting? Of course not! So, what leads you to believe that the homebrew scene would be any different?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2009 03:04AM by WikiFSX.
November 11, 2009 05:53AM
I think this is the reason. I found this on the main WiiBrew page. :P

if (user == robmcp1888 || user == SifJar)
{

// show all the junk
printf("Yet another pacman clone\n");
printf("A great hello world app :)\n");

}else{ // good stuff for everyone else
goodstuff_output();
}
November 11, 2009 06:48PM
robmcp1888
....No.
November 11, 2009 07:50PM
scanff
I think this is the reason. I found this on the main WiiBrew page. :P

if (user == robmcp1888 || user == SifJar)
{

// show all the junk
printf("Yet another pacman clone\n");
printf("A great hello world app :)\n");

}else{ // good stuff for everyone else
goodstuff_output();
}

lol. coding humor win.
November 12, 2009 12:32AM
Hilarious
November 12, 2009 01:46AM
Homebrew development slows around the winter and fall time, mostly because developers have school, collage, ect.

But, in the summer, people have more free time = more homebrew!

yeah homebrew!
November 12, 2009 07:46AM
I'd say it's gone flat, just based from the standpoint of I love apps like Bootmii and whatnot, and for the most part, people just kinda rely on Comex/Twiizers/Crediar etc. to make these apps for them, rather than pushing their knowledge of the Wii and writing their own. Just look at how few MINI apps there are
November 12, 2009 06:27PM
aujakev
Homebrew development slows around the winter and fall time, mostly because developers have school, collage, ect.

yeah homebrew!

the opposite of "real" games, with the summer games drought and winter games rush for Christmas.
November 12, 2009 08:17PM
SifJar
aujakev

yeah homebrew!

the opposite of "real" games, with the summer games drought and winter games rush for Christmas.
thats perfect! we are kept entertained all year round!
November 13, 2009 02:39PM
That's because most of the really usefull stuff is already out.

I personally get exicted when some of the existing applications get updated for expanded functionality or appereance. For example, we already had a perfectly fine working Homebrew Channel and set of emulators for NES, SNES and GBA but the authors went ahead and made them that much better looking which allows them to integrate better with the Wii, in my opinion.
This is why I'm eager to see someone make VBAGX run smoother and Wii64 more compatible and faster. Those are biggest news to me than most homebrew games put together. I mean no ofense to game authors, it's just my opinion.

I can't think of much else that can be released that would draw my attention except perhaps more Wii ports of popular games/apps (I'm thinking Zelda Classic, Another Metroid II Remake when it comes out, Metroid SR-388 (if it ever gets released), etc.
November 15, 2009 06:53AM
I have some exciting homebrew game projects in the works for the Wii...
November 15, 2009 07:34AM
like what?
November 26, 2009 12:32AM
I haven't been paying much attention to the Wii homebrew scene for a while so I cant say how it compares to the way it was a just a few months ago but over all I think it has slowed a bit. Pretty much everything has been done already.

Regardless of how you feel about it the main focus for most people for opening up closed platforms like Wii is to enable piracy and that has already been done. You can play copies of Game Cube or Wii disc based games or even install pirated channels. You can even play once disc based games off of USB external hard drives. There is nothing interesting left to be accomplished for that type of thing.

All of the usual stuff has already been ported. There is a kind of unofficial but well established list of games that ALWAYS get ported to any platform that homebrew is possible on. Stuff like Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake and SuperTux. You can play them on anything from a GP2X or Dingoo to just about any kind of cellphone and you can already play them on Wii.

There is already an emulator for just about every console and the few that dont have emulators are ones that there will likely never will be usable ones for on Wii (for example sure nobody has made a PS2 emulator but its unrealistic to think that there will ever be one let alone one that runs at more then 1 frame per hour or any other tolerable rate).

I think the last frontier is original 3D games. For the most part there STILL hasn't been anybody who has really done 3D yet. There are a few things like ProjectGMC but as visually amazing as it is its not really doing anything that couldn't have been done with sprite based 2 graphics and it isn't really doing anything with the Wii remote either. I'm surprised that there still hasn't been a good (scratch that it doesn't even need to be good) original homebrew FPS or 3d platformer for Wii.
November 26, 2009 05:30AM
i have a "big" release / update coming... i think it's wiiware quality, but we'll see :D... just trying to tweak the last parts!

I have a few ideas too, i just had my third kid (well, my wife did) so i know my output has slowed... i'm not saying that i'm a homebrew master, pumping out hit after hit, but i do have a few ideas that folks will hopefully like... once my daughter starts sleeping thru the night!!

I agree about the 3D games part... things come in waves, and once the original 3D scene starts getting tapped i think the pace will pick up again... HOMEBREW WILL NEVER DIE!!!
November 26, 2009 08:04PM
mdbrim
i have a "big" release / update coming... i think it's wiiware quality, but we'll see :D... just trying to tweak the last parts!
I look forward to that.

mdbrim
I have a few ideas too, i just had my third kid (well, my wife did)!

lol
November 29, 2009 03:48AM
What I'm looking forward to is a semi-full Linux release that can be run off of my SD card and that uses a graphical environment, so I can use my Wii for personal computing.
November 29, 2009 04:16AM
Archii?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.