Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Forgive me, but;

Posted by WiiFan2012 
Forgive me, but;
June 16, 2010 04:58AM
How does "Wii Game Studio" violate the GPL? I'm writing a blog about doing something to it.
Re: Forgive me, but;
June 16, 2010 05:28AM
Wii Game Studio is distributed with 7-zip. On there Web site you could clearly see:

Can I use the EXE or DLL files from 7-Zip in a Commercial Application?

Yes, but you are required to specify in your documentation (1) that you used parts of the 7-Zip program, (2) that 7-Zip is licensed under the GNU LGPL license and (3) you must give a link to www.7-zip.org, where the source code can be found.
June 16, 2010 06:35PM
Thanks for the reply. I need it for my blog.
June 16, 2010 06:47PM
You may also want to read this :- [forum.wiibrew.org]

Also a little OT from coding so I'll move to OT.
June 16, 2010 11:34PM
All versions of GRRLIB except the very first requires that it's license be distributed in any program which uses it. In order to steal credit, Wii Game Studio allegedly bases their product upon the first version of GRRLIB (which is actually pretty crappy in it's own right). There's a legal debate that since GRRLIB was updated with the new licensing measures that this may apply to the older version of GRRLIB making Wii Game Studio illegally using GRRLIB.

Also, the 7zip thing pointed out above makes it illegal.

Really, the fact it's even illegal is very silly since it could be fixed by adding a few .txt files to the package. The author simply wants to takes credit from other people and no one has made a big enough complaint about it yet (believe me, I tried).

Good luck to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2010 11:34PM by Arikado.
June 17, 2010 03:30AM
Sadly, changing the license of one version doesn't affect them all (example: StepMania 3.9 and later are BSD-licensed, older closed-source and GPL-licensed versions of StepMania are still under their original licenses).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login