Advanced

The Argon Homebrew Channel

Posted by bg4545 
The Argon Homebrew Channel
January 10, 2009 07:24AM
haha epic fail!
Video for 3.3 and up
Video for 3.2 and lower

EDIT: and apparently they're making an argonX channel...

2nd EDIT: for those who haven't read: Argon replies to 'GOD' Marcan, and Argon claims Team Twiizers didn't write the Twilight Hack.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 01:27AM by bg4545.
Re: The Argon Homebrew Channel
January 10, 2009 03:58PM
The 3.3 and lower video "has been removed by the user". Watching the other video, I think its funny how the channel calls itself the "Argon Homebrew Channel". Its very ugly too.
January 10, 2009 10:50PM
Instead of just editing the info, they deleted it and uploaded it as 3.2 and lower, but it's the same video.
January 12, 2009 12:01AM
haha i just found this:
argonchannel.com
Important: The ARGONCHANNEL is only a service that allows you to automatically receive new homebrew free software on your Wii. We give away this software to all ARGON2 users, purely as a thank you for choosing Argon 2 over "standard" modchips sold at the same price. Hombrew installation is, of course, possible with others methods such as the hackerchannel etc. This service is provided for free as a conveience to our users, we do not and never will charge our users for it.
and
argonchannel.com
Legal Warning: Argonchannel is a free homebrew material distribution service for all the ARGON2 customers. Our objective is to promote the use of FREE software on the Nintendo WII. Our team will update the Argon Channel with new and interesting software every week and you can download it direct from the Argon Channel. Our project goal is to allow easy access to the latest News 'n' Brews without needing to search the 'net on your PC. Over the 60% of WII users do not have a computer and even an expert user can benefit from the Argon Channel. The Argon Channel allows you to receive, direct to your console, the latest and greatest HOMEBREW applications and install them easily with only one click.
The application's copyright belongs to the developpers.
For developers: To support the HOMEBREW community our team will offer payment to developpers who submit a WAD installation file that is accepted for use on the Argon Channel, the minimum offer is 50 Euro for every title but that may increase depending on the quality and popularity of the software which you send to us!
January 12, 2009 12:05AM
Yes, I saw that awhile ago. Dont worry, I've already alerted the proper people (tona - who went on to alert other people).

Another interesting thing I saw was the quake channel. If pak1.pak is included in the channel, then id software could sue Argon for illegally distributing quake.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2009 12:07AM by Arikado.
January 12, 2009 01:31AM
good, maybe others who are planning to do something similar will think twice

and i was just laughing at, "new homebrew free software", "the hackerchannel", and "Over the 60% of WII users do not have a computer"
January 13, 2009 07:21AM
Haha,

homebrew laboratory my ass...
and

yeah legal, right...
January 13, 2009 11:19AM
last news

http://www.argonchannel.com/argonnews-8.html
2009-01-12 21:36:13
COPYRIGHT ISSUE - UNDER FIXING

After the copyright issue of some parts of our project, expecially with MARCAN.
we decide to:

1- Remove TWILIGH HACK from our server
2- Remove all the applications that the owners don't authorize the distribution
3- We will remove LEGAL from the advertise of ARGON2, it will be nothing more than another modchip

We apologize about all this with HOMEBREW comunity and MARCAN.
We will meet in few days MARCAN to verify all is ok and any of his "copyright" are violated

Now we will start to develope our own applications that we will offer trought argonchannel soon.
SMS GATEWAY will be one of these, the possibility to send out SMS messagges to HANDY PHONES for free.

ARGONCHANNEL TEAM

now, could someone point me a way to prevent distribution of programs for commercial purpose (even if they stated those "channels" are obviously free of charge) ? Is this even possible ? (I mean, all the "scene" sites are doing the same thing indirectly)

also, what does the GPL license implies regarding binary distribution, I'm really not very familiar with that kind of stuff ?

Maybe it's possible to forbid the distribution along ANY illegal materials (ROM images off course but also nintendo proprietary channel stuff) ?

or maybe a way to prevent dol execution from a channel ?

thanks
January 13, 2009 11:46AM
I'm assuming there would still be some remnants of the homebrew channel in memory as it launches your program; but I suppose you can't really rely on this.

Maybe you add a check to the SD:/apps/your app/boot.dol; This way they'd need it on the SD card and the SD card in the machine (which is what a channel install is designed to get around).

Of course, these aren't infallible tho

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 11:46AM by whodares.
January 13, 2009 07:43PM
whodares
Maybe you add a check to the SD:/apps/your app/boot.dol; This way they'd need it on the SD card and the SD card in the machine (which is what a channel install is designed to get around).

Of course, these aren't infallible tho

A check like this would block everyone who runs homebrew using Homebrew Disc Channel, Homebrew Loader and etc...
A better way is to check if the dol is in the Wii NAND, if is possible. If the check returns true... BSOD*!

*Black, not blue screen =P
January 13, 2009 09:00PM
Perhaps, we figure out the title (channel ID - whatever you prefer to call it) of the argon channel and write a check that checks to see if said title is installed?

BTW Argon does have a forum we could "complain" on... (Not that I encourage this - just pointing something out.)
January 13, 2009 10:37PM
It's less illegal the service than before, so let's leave them alone for now... Even because that forum is not open to public, you need to register just for viewing the threads, and maybe you need to put your credit card number on the form =P
January 13, 2009 10:45PM
What are you talking about? I just looked at their registration form. All you need is to enter a username, password, and e-mail adress. (*cough*All of which can be fake*cough*)
January 14, 2009 01:50PM
It was a joke =P

Still, I don't feel like registering at a forum just for trolling (even if we are right, going there and yelling about the argonchannel would be just trolling)...

By the way... Does anyone have some idea of what is argonXchannel?
January 14, 2009 09:01PM
Argon removed all of the channels they illegally made except for the WAD Manager.
January 14, 2009 09:09PM
DanielHueho
By the way... Does anyone have some idea of what is argonXchannel?

I have a feeling we won't have to wait to long to find out.
January 14, 2009 09:16PM
argonchannel.com
Our team will update the Argon Channel with new and interesting software every week and you can download it direct from the Argon Channel.

I wonder how long they can keep that up =D
January 15, 2009 12:37PM
Arikado
Argon removed all of the channels they illegally made except for the WAD Manager.

Weird enough, the less safe thing to use ever on Wii, and by the way, the WAD Manager banner was also stolen from a guy on GBATemp.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login