Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Guide in Lessons Learned

Posted by serpentarius 
A Guide in Lessons Learned
October 09, 2009 11:03AM
I thought I would register and write a helpful note or otherwise guide on an adventure that has lasted me until 4:00 Am This current morning. If you would excuse anything out of policy I will politely fix and edit the following notes I'd like to put out for the community (If anything may not be written/linked/ or otherwise)

I want you to see what sort of nightmare that modification files and failpackages have put myself and potentially can put others of you out there in. This is not only to reflect my own failure to listen to the very adept at this community but also a guide for new eager modders who are ready to play with fresh fire and walk a fine line between a safe system and bricking.

-/ I Like most people new in the homebrew community dove deep into it excitedly. Generally there are those that learn by step-by-step instruction, and those that learn by trial and error. (Let's hope for financial sake most people are the first). I installed HBC channel around v03 or 2 on my system (A LU61 system).

After weeks of joining various sites (To new a slew. , , , [wiibrew.org], (not to mention the very post I attempted to find an answer to originally on gbafail.net is actually a triple post circling around and around with no answers to any questions) and of course the very [wiibrew.org]) There are many different types of on going mods and wads floating for use, trade and otherwise. Because there are generally two very different aspects of this ongoing development, you tend to find the Legal HBC using types, and the Would be Warez/Dumping and Thumping community.

My journey started chaotic after I tried various different new things including many of Waninoko's installments, Cioscorp, and more. A great lot of us has tried these and because of that now there is a very large amount of unhappy users who either have to find a work around to install the newest updates or find a way to clean the files safely without making an expensive paperweight.

Id like to provide a walk-through on steps I had to undergo to fix my own system. I will admit these 'bright ideas' have still costed me as I know how a HBC on a modified 4.2U System [Which will make things even more difficult down the line]

1.) The idea was. Okay so now I have HBC wanting to update and I have cIOSCORP which I do not use and I want to have a clean system. How can this be achieved?

the forums are mentioning various ways. but from what I've ran through you can either

a.) email the author of cIOSCORP / website. They will provide you with a link to a file. A very Dol file that can be loaded in HBC. This in turn loaded will take a backwards step style approach and reset/patch original wad files to your system.

b.) I have read using DOP-IOS MOD to also reset certain files. However, because the very thing like Mr. FenrirWolf has said about scrambling eggs. Too many people new to this community are playing with too many files. (after a long time of modification outside the realm of normal saftey it becomes much harder to keep track of everything) And cIOSCORP has absolutely no warrant just as anything else.

So nothing for me worked. No matter how I tried, still the looming message appeared
[No vulnerable IOS] (not those exact wordings of course)

so, I took to drastic measures. I took my SD Card to the PC. I cleared and cleaned it sparkly. I went and did the most dangerous and reckless thing I could. I reformatted my system Memory.

I expected a 9/10 chance of turning my unit into a white statuette. But Luck was on my side thankfully.

So It led us to the next event. I in turn was staring at a 4.0U Wii with scrambled and tainted innards with NO HBC and nothing on my card. (Another reason Why I took to this approach of a guide is because someone out there will be at some point of a stage of failure somewhat like my own and can use this)

What to do when you system can't load homebrew channel, Cant install it, cant read normal games, has no Nintendo channels because you've removed most of them, and you cant do anything else?

I updated my system.

1.) Try one. FAIL 2.) Try two.. Fail. At this point I was thinking perhaps Nintendo's servers [as of around 2:00am] were refusing to allow any additional Wii units to update (I may need a verification on that for the interested)

So I took to the next step and put in the Newest Game I had bought previously. Guitar Hero. Slapped the Disc in and Voila, Offered to update my system.

---

After all of this, once more my nightmare had loomed. I had a system updated to 4.2U and STILL had innards scrambled. Still could not install HBC.

I had to take steps in order to retry anything I could to get that blasted cIOSCORP off my system. This is what I learned and tried.

Warez WAD fail

And There you have it, My nightmare is over. Now I have Home brew running. Even at the behest of not updating (I will definetly pay for this in time) I hope something can be learned from my post.
Perhaps to not download cIOSCORP? perhaps to pay attention to what the experts here have to say instead of gambling?
Either way this is one dark side of the wii modding community I will never walk down again.

~Serpentarius

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2009 12:23AM by Arikado.
Re: A Guide in Lessons Learned
October 09, 2009 01:41PM
We should put up a more visible notice that the HackMii Installer doesn't work if you have cIOSCORP installed.
October 09, 2009 06:38PM
No, that would give n00bs something to search, which would probably lead them to a certain fail site were they would be advised to install WADz and backup loaderz and be kool kids, probably bricking their wii in the process.
October 10, 2009 12:20AM
Ask me if I care.

You disregarded the information provided by site which originally founded (created/gave birth to/etc.) in favor of sites who fail at even pretending to have a half-way decent knowledge of the Wii's internals.

You failed at successfully using Wii Homebrew and you continue to fail at correcting your mistakes. For the record, Dop-IOS MOD can fix the mess caused by cIOScorp - you simply fail at following directions.

Please go back to one of your trusted alternative sites and make this post. Maybe they'll give a damn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2009 12:23AM by Arikado.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.