Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Un-softmodding with bootmii as ios and nand backed up

Posted by brothergrimm 
Un-softmodding with bootmii as ios and nand backed up
February 01, 2010 01:42AM
Hi guys i'd appreciate any help as i'm desperate and have been searching for days.
I just bough me and my girlfriend a wii with vers. 3.4 installed and upon finding out the console doesn't play dvd movies (*^&%* nintendo) i decided to softmod the wii using Bannerbomb and bootmii. Well a couple of days later and i'm having nothing but issues getting things to run and then i find out there's issues with some games forcing updates or other games unplayable without them.
Long story short none of this headache is worth just being able to play dvd's and we're both very worried about bricking or semi bricking our wii as money is very tight between us.
I used bootmii and made a nand backup before anything...can i restore the nand and restore the wii back to it's factory 3.4? If so does that mean i can also update without fear?. Again i'm desperate for any help and appreciate greatly.
Re: Un-softmodding with bootmii as ios and nand backed up
February 01, 2010 01:55AM
It's unwise to try restoring the backup with bootmii IOS, so unless you want a brick, don't try to restore it.

Don't give up hope, though! I believe I can help you!

What is your current system menu version?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 01:57AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
February 01, 2010 02:41AM
Couple of points:

1)None of the Wii updates will brick you. They may remove some aspects of homebrew, but they can all be restored.

2)The most important aspect of modifying any electronic device is patience and a clear head! You're making too big of a deal out of this. Take a deep breath and loosen up! This is supposed to be fun!

3)Really, if you haven't been watching DVDs yet, you're almost there. Don't give up yet!
February 03, 2010 12:23AM
I'll try and spare you my life history lol just bear with me. All down the line i have been hard or softmodding consoles from as early as the PS1 and so far no issues XD The difference is, this was a gift for my girlfriend of 6 years and she was wicked excited when we got it. Prior to getting this i was 2years (Very unwillingly) unemployed and we're living check to check...so long story short i felt really bad when we kept getting freezups, Black screen with memory dump and occasional use of the dvd drive for movies. My system menu is 3.4 (I modded from a fresh wii) I couldn't do boot2 as i have a newer gen. I can't even get the usbloader to run. I started with Bootmii and bannerbomb. I also got the shopping channel, Weather and news all uptodate and working. I am digging the portal 2d game, Quake and liero.
Like i said i love that you guys are willing to help i feel like a donkey, i've never had a problem with my own lol it just figures i'm having them now hah.
As far as not bricking with updates don't newer games like SuperSmash brothers brawl require update? BTW testing the wii's internet connection my girlfriend nearly pressed to update it...another reason i'm worried it's like having a little kid in the house XD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2010 12:27AM by brothergrimm.
February 03, 2010 03:03AM
Updating will probably fix your problems, So don't worry.
February 03, 2010 11:09PM
If you want to know what updates actually will do, go to their pages on the wiki (that is, for the 4.2 update, read System Menu 4.2, etc.)
February 04, 2010 06:20PM
So from what i read on the wiki it says there's no problem updating to 4.2 ...is that right? If so what was all the hooplah about accidental updating makes wii a dull boy? I know this got off topic and i'm sorry.

I did however read this "highly recommended that you do not upgrade until the ability to install BootMii plus boot2v4 in one go comes to the HackMii Installer". Thanks to you guys i am much less worried of thrashing the wii and i appreciate it. I guesse i'll just wait until bootmii is updated. Now if only i can get usbloader, Freezes to stop and stop losing my wii pointer everytime i boot into HB...i'll be good. Anyone have any links they'd like to share for any of that info?
February 04, 2010 06:38PM
USB Loaders aren't supported here. Anyway, the "Don't update through Nintendo" banner on the wiki is to stop n00bs updating when there is a new update. Currently it is safe, but if a new update is released and no-one updated the wiki, n00bs would see "safe to update" and update, possibly disabling homebrew. There is currently little reason to install official updates, as you can easily get Shop Channel on lower System Menus anyway.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.