Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sneek?

Posted by keybounce 
Sneek?
June 16, 2010 11:17PM
I'm trying to get information about Sneek.

From what I understand, it uses the SD card instead of NAND, which -- among other things -- should be a perfect brick prevention system. Any change that you want to make to the system is first made under sneek, and only if it doesn't cause problems is it then done to the NAND.

Second, since the system is not using the NAND normally, it allows for the NAND to be dumped and restored -- exactly the way that bootmii/boot2 does, that bootmii/ios cannot.

Thirdly, since it doesn't use the NAND, the whole issue of "wearing out" the nand doesn't happen -- loading VC/WiiWare/channels from the SD card to nand is no longer needed, and the wii's nand lasts longer.

And, I have to wonder -- if it uses SD instead of NAND, does that means that boot1 can be loaded from SD instead of NAND, and can be modified -- hence the signing bug fixed in boot1 that prevents bootmii/boot2 can be restored.

How much of this is accurate, or misinformed?
What does SNEEK do, what does it not do, and do I want it or not?
Re: Sneek?
June 17, 2010 12:11AM
SNEEK has become a piracy tool, so it is no longer supported here.
June 17, 2010 12:15PM
its not nessecarily a piracy tool...

anyway, it cannot allow bootmii as boot2 on newer wiis, because it is loaded after boot1.

and the fact nand is in use has nothing to do with making or restoring nand dumps, you cant restore dumps with ios bootmii because its not safe
June 17, 2010 05:51PM
SifJar

anyway, it cannot allow bootmii as boot2 on newer wiis, because it is loaded after boot1.

and the fact nand is in use has nothing to do with making or restoring nand dumps, you cant restore dumps with ios bootmii because its not safe

Fine. But my original questions are still there, possibly modified:

1. Can boot1 be copied into SD, patched with the signing bug, pointed to bootmii as boot 2, and then run the modified boot1? (And will that act to run bootmii as boot2?) Does sneek act as a "hypervisor" affecting the entire software?

(If I understand correctly: Boot0/1/2 and IOS do not run on the PPC, they run on the other CPU. Right?)

2. Does it act as a brick preventer in the manner I describe? Does it mean that anything I'm uncertain of can be tested using the SD card, and if it fails/bricks, I just remove that file off the SD card and I'm "good" again?
June 17, 2010 06:07PM
keybounce
SifJar

Fine. But my original questions are still there, possibly modified:

1. Can boot1 be copied into SD, patched with the signing bug, pointed to bootmii as boot 2, and then run the modified boot1? (And will that act to run bootmii as boot2?) Does sneek act as a "hypervisor" affecting the entire software?

(If I understand correctly: Boot0/1/2 and IOS do not run on the PPC, they run on the other CPU. Right?)

2. Does it act as a brick preventer in the manner I describe? Does it mean that anything I'm uncertain of can be tested using the SD card, and if it fails/bricks, I just remove that file off the SD card and I'm "good" again?

1. I already said, NO. It "starts" at boot2 when it is run. And you are right that boot0/1/2 and IOS run on ARM.

2. Yes, it is brick protection. You should be able to fix virtually any brick using a computer and an SD card reader.
June 17, 2010 06:29PM
OK, then how do I set up sneek as a brick prevention system? What do I need to do?

(I didn't see any wiki page on it.)

I already said, NO. It "starts" at boot2 when it is run. And you are right that boot0/1/2 and IOS run on ARM.

Alright, as someone who doesn't understand:
1. What is it about running as IOS that makes nand restores unsafe, while running as boot2 is safe, and
2. Is there any way to track the system back into "boot2" mode without forcing a power cycle and the unpatchable boot1 running?
June 17, 2010 07:44PM
keybounce
OK, then how do I set up sneek as a brick prevention system? What do I need to do?

(I didn't see any wiki page on it.)

I already said, NO. It "starts" at boot2 when it is run. And you are right that boot0/1/2 and IOS run on ARM.

Alright, as someone who doesn't understand:
1. What is it about running as IOS that makes nand restores unsafe, while running as boot2 is safe, and
2. Is there any way to track the system back into "boot2" mode without forcing a power cycle and the unpatchable boot1 running?

Its not the fact it is running in IOS that makes it unsafe, its the fact that if something goes wrong, there is no "safety net" as there is with BootMii/boot2. With BootMii/boot2, if the NAND restore fails, you can just reboot the Wii and try again. With BootMii/IOS, if it fails, your Wii is permanently and irreparably bricked (well, can be fixed with a NAND programmer by dismantling Wii and soldering NAND to NAND programmer e.g. Infectus. But this is beyond average BootMii user). It CAN be done, BootMii/IOS will let you, you just need to be completely sure you want to. You need a GC controller and you have to press 4 buttons on it exactly together to make it let you do it.

I think this negates the validity of your second question, because unless you have a permanently modified boot2, there will never be the "safety net", so it can never be safer. And it wouldn't make a difference over using BootMii/IOS anyway.

As for setting up SNEEK, I'm afraid I don't think I can help you seeing as it can be used for piracy. But you should be able to find what you need fairly easily ;)
June 20, 2010 11:08PM
SifJar
As for setting up SNEEK, I'm afraid I don't think I can help you seeing as it can be used for piracy. But you should be able to find what you need fairly easily ;)

The Wii itself can be used for piracy; better not discuss that!

SifJar edit: Fixed your quote.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2010 08:52PM by SifJar.
June 21, 2010 10:28AM
PiracyIsNoNo
SifJar

The Wii itself can be used for piracy; better not discuss that!
That doesn't make sense, because the Wii itself doesn't have the ability to play pirated games.
June 28, 2010 03:24AM
No SNEEK talk here. Period.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.