Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ADS

Posted by cl87 
ADS
March 30, 2009 02:36AM
[www.youtube.com]

linkinworm has revealed a new homebrew project for the Nintendo Wii, a Nintendo DS Emulator. ADS beta 0.1 has no touch screen capabilities, just the top screen works fine for some games with a save file that you've made earlier. There are currently no downloads available for this homebrew. So, don't ask for it.

i found this video but i cant give the website because its linked to piracy.
i thought the ds emulator in progress was pretty cool.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 02:41AM by cl87.
Re: ADS
March 30, 2009 12:20PM
awesome..I thought someone would make one eventually.
March 30, 2009 11:30PM
Awesome, dying to see how he gets the bottom screen to work.
March 31, 2009 01:43AM
Arikado
Awesome, dying to see how he gets the bottom screen to work.

Use 2 wiimotes! one as the control and one for a stylus. That would be kinda messed up for ppl who only have one controller but it was the first thing that came to mind.
March 31, 2009 02:43AM
I was thinking a classic controller wiimote combo actually. Aside from the analog sticks, the classic controller looks just like the main buttons on the DS. Also, I'd love to see gamecube support to try playing mario kart ds with a gamecubes awesome analog stick.
March 31, 2009 06:21AM
Arikado
I was thinking a classic controller wiimote combo actually. Aside from the analog sticks, the classic controller looks just like the main buttons on the DS. Also, I'd love to see gamecube support to try playing mario kart ds with a gamecubes awesome analog stick.
Ya i could see that. Support for GC controllers would be awesome. Thats probably a more practical approach. The only thing is that the screens would have to be ridiculously small to fit both on screen and have them look OK at the same time.
March 31, 2009 12:35PM
ChuckBartowski
The only thing is that the screens would have to be ridiculously small to fit both on screen and have them look OK at the same time.

640 * 480 is more than enough to display 2 DS screens, either top-bottom or left-right (if it suits the game)

Did anybody play the Wii version of - behold the long title - "Final Fantasy - Crystal Chronicles - Echoes Of Time".
If actually looks like the DS-version and you have to manage 2 screens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2009 12:36PM by daniel_c_w.
March 31, 2009 08:12PM
Seriously, for me this thing don't even worth looking. The DS is too unique to emulate. It's just boring to play without the touchscreen, the microphone, the two REAL screens...

But that's just me, of course. From the techinical POV, congratulations to linkinworm. I can't imagine how hard was doing this emulator.
March 31, 2009 08:53PM
dayummmmmmm, that's cool! but with no mic, how would we do stuff like scream in the phantom hourglass or blow up baloons in mario kart ds?
March 31, 2009 09:35PM
I'm assuming he'll implement WiiSpeak or USB Mic support somehow.
April 01, 2009 02:07AM
daniel_c_w
ChuckBartowski
The only thing is that the screens would have to be ridiculously small to fit both on screen and have them look OK at the same time.

640 * 480 is more than enough to display 2 DS screens, either top-bottom or left-right (if it suits the game)

Did anybody play the Wii version of - behold the long title - "Final Fantasy - Crystal Chronicles - Echoes Of Time".
If actually looks like the DS-version and you have to manage 2 screens.
I was just thinking of how it looks on PC. NO$GBA emulating DS with two screens makes them kinda small.
April 01, 2009 03:03AM
Maybe it will be possible to sync the DS to the Wii and use the DS as the controller for the emulator. That would be cool if only for the larger viewing area on the TV. (Although it does kinda defeat the purpose of emulation :P)
April 01, 2009 03:57AM
i doubt the "ds" but maybe the "dsi", the because it "updated".
April 01, 2009 05:53PM
You guys need to check yourselves.

You immediately jump on people posting anything remotely suggesting piracy of Wii games and rightfully so and yet you are brimming with enthusiasm about a DS emulator. This also amounts to piracy of a system that is alive and selling well.

Be consistent.
April 01, 2009 05:59PM
Back-Ups, cIOS, WadInstaller: almost only usefull for illegal stuff

Emulators: usefull for homebrew and illegal stuff.
You will for example see a very long thread about a Nintendo 64 emulator here.

p.s.: if ADS works well, all I'll need is a way to rip my Mario Kart DS card and I can play it on the big screen :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 06:01PM by daniel_c_w.
April 01, 2009 06:15PM
Emulators: usefull for homebrew and illegal stuff. You will for example see a very long thread about a Nintendo 64 emulator here.

Ah, but you're crossing that soft line between current and old systems.
If Wii emulation was viable I don't think we would be talking about it here.

Also, the argument (which I see coming) for only playing the DS games you own on the Wii is as valid/invalid as the one for mods enabling playing "backups" of Wii games you own.

Maybe the mods can tell us where to draw the line...
April 01, 2009 06:17PM
By the way, I'm not trying to indulge in moral grand standing here.
I'm just curious where the distinction lies in this board between what is appropriate to discuss and what is not.
April 01, 2009 06:43PM
TheManuel
Ah, but you're crossing that soft line between current and old systems.

If Wii emulation was viable I don't think we would be talking about it here.

That line doesn't matter, because even on old systems piracy is still piracy. If it strongly implies copying copyrighted material, than it should be off limits. Emulators are just a tool, than can be used for more than piracy. CIOS and "backups" are primarely used for piracy. But we are not talking about back-ups here, we are talking about an emulator.

And we already have a thread about using Dolphin to test Wii homebrew.
April 01, 2009 06:46PM
TheManuel
I'm just curious where the distinction lies in this board between what is appropriate to discuss and what is not.

That's easy:

If you are looking for ANY of these things, then Wiibrew is probably NOT the place for you!

Wiibrew.org does NOT support any sort of illegal activity. Users who choose to seek or spread information about downloading or using illegal WADs, Wii game "backups," or video game ROMs will be banned.

For a full description of the rules, check the Forum Rules & Guidelines

:D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 06:46PM by daniel_c_w.
April 01, 2009 09:05PM
TheManuel: Correct if I'm wrong but you're the one who just started the piracy discussion?

As a moderator, I'm going to ask everyone to get back on topic before I lock this topic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login