Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Snes9x 4.0.7 Classic Controller Issue

Posted by jhinkle 
Re: Snes9x 4.0.7 Classic Controller Issue
February 01, 2010 06:45AM
It's in my pipeline to write up something nicer than the post. I am a tad busy at the moment though.

I'd also like to figure out how to apply this fix without removing the calibration code (or atleast figure out how it does its calibration because my 3rd party classic controller works properly with regular WII games).

If you get stuck anywhere, I would be glad to help if I can.

I would have to agree with Arikado that if my post is Chinese to you even a nicer guide won't do you any good. My recommendation start with something easier. Do the codemii programming tutorials. Then modify libogc. Then try to compile your favourite homebrew. That's how I did it. Start simple.
February 11, 2010 05:04PM
I also just recently bought 2 classic controllers for use with the SNES and NES emulators.

they say wii on the front, have the a and b clear buttons, and says nintendo on the plug.

they also do not work with either emulator.

should i assume i didn't actually get "original" controllers?
February 14, 2010 05:09AM
I bought two controllers from deal extreme and got the same issue!

I known something about C programming and I am trying to fix the problem like ic3guy did. I've downloaded the source code of wiiuse-v0.12 and when I edit io.c there is no function wiiuse_handshake_expansion, but there is wiiuse_handshake function and a switch there but no switch(id) just switch (wm->handshake_state) also there is only case 0:, case 1: and default:

What version did you edit? is io.c from other package and not wiiuse-v0.12?

Thanks a lot!
February 14, 2010 05:19AM
Sorry!

Now I've found the correct file on the libogc sources. I'll try to do the modifications now. :)
February 14, 2010 07:35PM
I've recompiled following the instructions and it worked!

Both of my controlers from Deal Extreme had the same ID that was already in the code (a4002100) so I didn't have to change it. I had just to comment the lines between WIIUSE_DEBUG("Classic.. and return 0;.

I've put my recompiled code to help anyone who don't know how to recompile. If your controller ID didn't change like mine, maybe it works for you too. You can download and test it at [rapidshare.com]

To use it you have to delete boot.dol or boot.elf at you snes9x folder, and then put my boot.elf there. Cross your fingers and hope it works! :)

Thanks ic3guy for the instructions :)
February 15, 2010 08:34PM
jcarloz > so that's all you have to do is download your file and put it in place of the other one?

nothing else? that seems too easy! if that works.. great!
February 15, 2010 11:21PM
Dude, YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!
i have also a wii classic controller from dealextreme, and it never worked in HBC!
Now i have copied your file too my snes9x folder, and everything works!!
soo easy, damn!
I Deleted my boot.dol, copied boot.elf!
thanks
February 16, 2010 06:07AM
This worked FANTASTIC - your .elf file absolutely did the trick and my classic controllers work.

however, they still don't work on the NES emulator... any thoughts?

Can you do some magic on the nes emulator? FCE Ultra GX

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2010 06:26AM by dentist88.
February 20, 2010 02:24PM
dentist88
This worked FANTASTIC - your .elf file absolutely did the trick and my classic controllers work.

however, they still don't work on the NES emulator... any thoughts?

Can you do some magic on the nes emulator? FCE Ultra GX

+1, if it's possible?

awesome!
February 26, 2010 06:10PM
Hi!

I am glad it have worked for you!

I was in a holiday so I had time to recompile Snes 9x GX, I will recompile FCE Ultra GX as soon as I have more free time, although I think the Wii Remote is more like NES Style than Wii Classic Controller :)
April 02, 2010 07:52AM
Anyone have a classic controller or nunchuk that doesn't work on Wii apps? Please run this test and report back the id to me via email: [www.wiimc.org]

Be sure to read the included readme.txt
April 18, 2010 03:50AM
Can someone please upload or link me the application Tantric provided, the link is no longer active, and my 3rd part classic controller is not supported so i want to feedback him with the code. The classic controller i bought is this one.
[www.dealextreme.com]
Thanks.

EDIT: I followed ic3guy instructions and i couldn't get my classic controller pro ID (it says the ID is 0) but then i plugged my nunchuk and the application worked like a charm and send me the id a4200000. What am i doing wrong?. I edited the io.c with this code, just like ic3guy wrote

printf("WIIUSE EXP_ID: %x\n",id);

Then ran the hello world and plugged in my classic controller pro.

Somebody help me please.
Regards

PS: Sorry for my english.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2010 02:52AM by OuKKaN.
May 06, 2010 02:43AM
Hi All,
I am trying to solve this problem as well, since I bought 3rd party controllers from meritline (Classic Controller for Wii - Meritline.com) before realizing they wouldn't work with homebrew emulators. Although it took me a while to figure out what he was talking about, I have so far been able to follow most of ic3guy's instructions, but I am stuck.

1. I compiled libogc, then the helloworld app, and got my controller's id: a0a1a000
2. I made more changes to libogc, then compiled it again
3. Now I am supposed to compile snes9x gx (or whatever other app), but I keep getting errors.

I followed the guide for installing the necessary libraries (here), but I must be doing something wrong... This is what I get:
make -f Makefile.wii
audio.cpp
In file included from /Projects/wii/snes9x-gx-read-only/source/video.h:18,
                 from /Projects/wii/snes9x-gx-read-only/source/audio.cpp:20:
/Projects/wii/snes9x-gx-read-only/source/snes9x/snes9x.h:192:18: warning: zlib.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /Projects/wii/snes9x-gx-read-only/source/audio.cpp:28:
/Projects/wii/snes9x-gx-read-only/source/snes9x/display.h:212: error: 'gzFile' has not been declared
/Projects/wii/snes9x-gx-read-only/source/snes9x/display.h:213: error: variable or field 'S9xCloseSnapshotFile' declared void
/Projects/wii/snes9x-gx-read-only/source/snes9x/display.h:213: error: 'gzFile' was not declared in this scope
make[2]: *** [audio.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [build_wii] Error 2
make: *** [wii] Error 2

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks
May 06, 2010 02:55AM
You're missing libz, you can find it from the devkitpro sourceforge portlibs pages. But now that I have your ID I've added it to libogc so newly compiled apps will (hopefully) work with your controller.
May 06, 2010 08:23PM
Thanks. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I just had expanded each of the portlibs files and put them into /opt/devkitpro/portlibs/ppc, e.g. creating directories like: /opt/devkitpro/portlibs/ppc/free-type-2.3.11-ppc. Dumb newbie mistake!
What I was supposed to do was to copy the files from those directories into /opt/devkitpro/portlibs/ppc/lib, etc.... Anyway, doing it the right way enabled me to build snes9x gx. The only other thing that was weird is that the .dol file that was generated didn't work. However, the .elf file worked great!

I'm assuming when you say that newly compiled apps will work with my controller, you mean that you have updated the libogc that everyone uses to compile apps?... i.e. the next release of snes9x gx should support my controller? If so, that's awesome. Thanks!

EDIT: Actually the .dol file does work for snes9x once I deleted the settings file.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2010 09:24PM by rappinkapc.
May 06, 2010 09:09PM
Also,
Another newbie question. Does anyone know what I need to compile wii64? I keep getting some error about powerpc-gekko-gcc. It seems that this needs to be in /devkitppc/bin, but I don't have it. Do I have to download it somewhere?

Thanks.
May 07, 2010 08:53PM
I feel a little annoying by posting 3 times in a row, but now that I have been testing this for a while, things are not working as I expected. Feel free to ignore my last 2 questions, because they are probably off topic, but this one seems to be relevant.

My classic controllers only seem to work sometimes. For example, if I want to play using 2 classic controllers, I have found that it usually doesn't work unless I follow this sequence (or perhaps something like it):

1. Plug in both classic controllers to wiimotes 1 and 2.
2. Start Snes9x GX from HBC using wiimote #2
3. If the blue player 1 indicator light from wiimote #1 goes off and stays off, continue to step 4, otherwise, go back to HBC and start at step 1.
4. Start wiimote#1 by pressing any button. Classic controller 1 now works!
5. Unplug classic controller 2, then plug it back in. Classic controller 2 now works!

If I don't follow these steps, sometimes the classic controllers work, but most of the time they do not.
Also, this is the same in Snes9x GX and FCE Ultra GX. It is also the same whether I use my own compiled libogc following ic3guy's instructions, or if I compile the newest version of libogc that has my controller ID (thanks Tantric!).

Does anyone else have similar issues with other classic controllers?
January 26, 2011 11:52PM
I still cannot get it to work. I tried both files, .dol and .elf, with and without the above instructions and it still doesn't register.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks.
February 22, 2012 06:12PM
Hello all, sorry to drudge up such an old thread but recently softmodded wii and stupid me bought a 3rd party controller off ebay reading through all the tutorials/forums ive found on google I just cant seem to grasp how to find the controller Id and how to edit it I tried to follow the compile instructions on the snes9x-gx code site all good until it comes to download the source code no idea what I'm doing lol Any help would be appreciated or if someone could explain to me how to get the controller id to a programmer to get me a boot file?

Thanks,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login