Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

fce ultra gx codes not working!

Posted by maria 
fce ultra gx codes not working!
July 27, 2009 08:17AM
Hi there

im unable to get the cheat button to work and ived looked and cant find any thing that remotely help in any way. i load the game then go to the menu to load cheats codes but it tell me it cant find them and there no cheat folder and ived made one but that dont work and ived had codes from cheatzilla but they dont work eather since i cant save them as .cht format idk what to do?

any help would be great.

thank you

Maria
Re: fce ultra gx codes not working!
July 27, 2009 06:45PM
i got cheats working. i used the cht files from zophar, [www.zophar.net]. however, i tried making my own cht files through fce on the pc but for some strange reason the cheat files made in fce on the pc had no effect (did not work) with the wii version of the same emulator?!?!?!?! but if you use the cheats from zophar it will work, but you'll be limited to the cheats they have available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 06:46PM by _cpx_.
July 27, 2009 09:58PM
using cheats from the PC version worked fine for me.
July 28, 2009 07:19AM
brady.obrien666
using cheats from the PC version worked fine for me.

Do you mean,cheats created by you?
If that is the case,can you tell us how,please?
July 28, 2009 05:28PM
yes. please do. what i mean by making my own in fce is using the game genie decoder/converter and adding the converted cheats to the list, then closing the emulator, taking the cht file out of the cheats folder in fce, moving it to the same folder on my sd for fce ultra wii and enabling the cheats. i've tried with a few different games and the result is all the same...they don't work in the wii version but work in the pc version.
July 28, 2009 05:30PM
Is the name of the file .nes.cht or .cht? It should be just .cht
July 28, 2009 09:12PM
Hi Tantric. The file name is 'RomName.cht'.
July 28, 2009 11:52PM
And then it should be placed in fceugx/cheats
July 29, 2009 01:32AM
did that. like i said, the cheats from zophar's domain work fine but the ones i make from converted game genie codes in win32 fce ultra do not work at all in fce ultra gx. i've tried with quite a few different games to make sure it wasn't just a 'bad code'. but my logic tells me there has to be a reason why they work in the win32 version but not the wii version. i mean they were made by the win32 version of the 'same' emulator. it's just ram patching and if the code is patching the same line in both emulators...then...why...doesn't...it...work? is the cheat system just ported over from the win32 source or is it from 'scratch' and different? i'm not the only one experiencing this. after a quick search i even found someone that created a yahoo answers post about it, [answers.yahoo.com].
July 29, 2009 03:55AM
[C][:]Address(hex):Value(hex):[Compare value:]Description
This is the standard layout for a cheat. The actual cheat would look like this.
SC07e2:30:00:1st Player Score

All game genie codes need the S at the begging and I believe this is the key.

If I use this cheat it works fine.
0736:63:SMB3 Mario Lives.
but the name in FCEUGX will be displayed as "MB3 Mario Lives."
as you can see the first letter is missing.

Now if I use this cheat nothing happens
Sa3cc:af:NXKXGLIE
but the full name will be displayed as "NXKXGLIE"

The problem is most likely located in LoadCheats function of cheatmgr.cpp. I have looked at it but with my amateurish coding skills I can't find the solution.

Well I hope this helps Tantric find the answer, otherwise here is the link to the source if anyone else wants to take a look.

[code.google.com]
July 29, 2009 08:12AM
Ah, well perhaps the "problem" is just that I haven't enabled Game Genie codes.
July 29, 2009 11:03AM

did that. like i said, the cheats from zophar's domain work fine but the ones i make from converted game genie codes in win32 fce ultra do not work at all in fce ultra gx.

then it's a problem with the gg->cht converter in fce ultra, why not posting the content of these files here ?

Now if I use this cheat nothing happens
but the full name will be displayed as "NXKXGLIE"

off course it doesnt't, like Tantric said, the emulator uses .cht files, not raw Game Genie codes
cht file format is the following:

AAAA:VV:ssssss

with:
AAAA = address to patch in hexadecimal format (0000-FFFF with probably some restrictions on the addresses you can patch)
VV = data to patch in hexadecimal format (00-FF)
ssssss = string that gives cheat description (there is probably a limit in the number of characters)

Game Genie codes have a different format which is described here for the NES version.. It does not seems the compare value is supported by cht files, they apply the data patch without checking the original value.

Now, to convert Game Genie codes into an address/value couple that could be used in a .cht file, you can apparently use this little applet which is compatible with various GG format

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2009 11:08AM by ekeeke.
July 29, 2009 06:08PM
hi tantric. i have seen the change log for today on google code. thanks a lot man. you rule! i patiently await the next build.
July 30, 2009 02:51AM
@ekeeke

If you look at this cheat it is NOT a game genie code. The "S" is part of the fceu cheat handling system that implies the cheat is of the substitution variety. There is also another option "C" which can be placed after the "S" to denote a comparison value cheat. This is followed by a standard hex address then the replacement value and a comparison value if necessary. The game genie code is used as the name of the cheat. I am well aware of a number of means to convert game genie codes to hex address and I used one to create this cheat.

@Tantric

If you took offense to the term "problem" please accept my apologies. But there is something wrong with your code. As I mentioned the first letter of the cheat name is missing in the display and substitution cheats aren't handled correctly. Neither of these has to do with game genie codes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 03:33AM by linus.
July 30, 2009 06:35AM
Ok, I think I've found the bug with this.
July 30, 2009 11:01PM
_cpx_
hi tantric. i have seen the change log for today on google code. thanks a lot man. you rule! i patiently await the next build.
A bit of good news, I can confirm that these changes work, as I tested them myself last night. (You will need the latest/trunk libogc from devkitpro's SVN in order to compile.)
July 31, 2009 12:02AM
Thanks for finding the bug so fast. I built the latest SVN checkout. Substitution cheat are working and the complete cheat name is displayed. It is amazing what a big difference two character can make.

Also I tested the game genie functionality and it worked great.
July 31, 2009 09:33AM
Hey,
I just updated to 3.0.8. Do I put the Game Genie rom in a folder called 'gg.rom,' or do I rename it to gg.rom and place it in root:\fceugx?
Thanks

Edit:: Also, how do I get the Game Genie rom to load with a game? All what I can get it to do is load by itself, and all it does is reset every time I enter codes

Edit2:: The emulator now loads 'Mario Adventure.' Hooray! But I still don't know how the GG works.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2009 10:12AM by Yerffej.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login