Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wii region change by mistake

Posted by jdtanner 
wii region change by mistake
August 24, 2009 08:13PM
I changed my Wii region settings by mistake. I did knot mean to or know I was doing so. I was downgrading and clicked to quickly. Now I have a Japan region Wii. I don't know how to safely fix it. I have read of the potential of bricking my wii for good and am afraid to try anything at this point.

Does anyone have experience with this problem???

Thanks.
Re: wii region change by mistake
August 24, 2009 08:58PM
Run AnyRegion Changer and change it back to USA/PAL, whichever you had to begin with. If you have any duplicate channels afterwards, remove them with Duplicate Channel Remover.

Oh, and dont downgrade. Its teh fail, there is no need to do it. EVERYTHING works on 4.1 if you have trucha IOS, which isnt hard to get.
August 24, 2009 10:44PM
stay away from GBAtemp and you will be safe. (granted you use the apps wisely) never use a downgrade guide or any guide not posted on these forums or on wiibrew.org
August 25, 2009 01:51AM
I have read that at least some folks have had problems (total brick) with Region changers. It appears to me you suggest "AnyRegion Changer" and you have no knowledge of that causing problems?

And the advise to "dont downgrade", I certainly see the wisdom in that now, but I've done it.
How do I undo that?

Thanks.
August 25, 2009 03:39AM
AnyRegion Changer is the safest region changing app. Other region changer's (like Waninkoko's downgrader, which is the one I think you used) are dangerous and can cause bricks.
I'd say the best way is to use AnyRegion Changer to change the region settings back to normal, and then install a 3.2 system menu of your region, and then upgrade (if you want).
August 25, 2009 11:00AM
AnyRegion Changer actually does everything it should, waninkoko's leaves bits out and bricks people.
August 25, 2009 10:35PM
Just out of curiosity what bits does his leave out?
August 25, 2009 10:51PM
Well, his is in the form of two apps, one only installs System Menu from another region (giving semi-brick), the other changes a few region things, but not everything. For example, you cant access a different region Shop Channel, that'll always be locked to your original region. And it also doesn't downgrade IOS. Which AnyRegion Changer does. It installs the 3.2 versions of every IOS. But downgrading IOS is a bad idea. As is downgrading generally. These apps should ONLY be used if you are on 3.2 and want to swap regions, IMO. And Waninkoko's ones shouldn't at all. Only AnyRegion Changer.
August 25, 2009 11:04PM
I'm the original dummy who is stuck in Japan.
I am asking again about the downgrading. I hear ya, don't do it.
But I already did.

Can I undo that?
Do I need to undo that?

Once I use AnyRegion Changer of course.
I'm still waiting on these kinds of answers before I do anything.
I'm not very experienced at this and as we see here, I can get myself into trouble if I'm not careful
August 25, 2009 11:13PM
Use AnyRegion Changer to change your region and all settings and System Menu back to PAL/USA, whichever you had to begin with. Then check if you have duplicate channels (weather and news channels sometimes show up twice, once for each region). If you do have dupicate channels, use duplicate channel remover. Then do a regular update to 4.1 through Wii System Update in the Settings menu(i.e Update via wifi through Nintendo)
August 26, 2009 02:36AM
With your instructions on first using AnyRegion Changer to get my system back and then just update, I was ready to try again.
It appears I messed up worse than that.

I had deleted the homebrew channel when the accident occured, hoping all would go away.
Obviously all did not go away.

So, today, put in the SD with AnyRegion which I had made a boot SD, figured I could run it that way. No good.
So, blanked SD and put initial files on which allowed me to initially install homebrew. Nothing. The Japan system does nothing with this.

Is there anything I can do?
August 26, 2009 12:58PM
Have you tried using bannerbomb or twilight hack to run HackMii Installer and reinstall HBC?
August 26, 2009 04:16PM
Yes.
Last night, thought I had a bootable SD card with homebrew on it to do it that way, but the homebrew did not run off that.
So, I blanked the SD (pehaps another mistake, I don't now) and put on my initial home brew install files which worked before to install homebrew.
Start up the wii and try to install using the Japan menus/system of course, any and all clicks into the sd card are just blank. The installer does not run.
I hope I'm missing something.
August 27, 2009 03:02AM
This evening I blanked my SD card again and set it up with bannerbomb and hackmii installer.
I had used this SD set up with success in the past also.

Again, I attempt to install homebrew on my now Japan wii.

It does not work. The system actually froze in this scenario.
Of course, I start wii, go to data management, then channels, then sd card and then insert the card.

So, again I ask for help.
Is my Wii hopeless?

My only thoughts are about the SD card.
As it was once a bootable SD, is that a problem.
Do I need to reformat the SD card before I try to load a new homebrew set up?

Or, am I just stuck in Japan forever?
August 27, 2009 11:21AM
Insert the SD card first, then select SD card in data management. Dont insert it after.
August 27, 2009 10:29PM
OK.
Today I had the SD card already in before clicking in attempting to install homebrew.
Still froze.

Tried to get to hackmii to try the altermative versions, but site down. Found the alternate link for teh alternative hackmii versions to use/try is it freezes.
Downloaded all of them and tried each one.
Always the same result. Freeze.

Any more suggestions?
Is there a company that one can send a stuck in Japan console to who could fix this type of thing?
I get the feeling I will not be able to get this fixed. I can't afford a new wii (nor a repair) but seems that my wii is actually fine if someone with the proper expertise were to go at it.
August 27, 2009 10:31PM
Also, I now see the "fix" forum where this dicussion should probably be, not here in applications.
Would it help me if I stated my problem over there?
August 27, 2009 10:58PM
the "fixmii" forum is for those whose wiis dont work anymore (bricked) so probably not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2009 10:58PM by TopGun96.
August 27, 2009 11:05PM
Just update with a game disc of your region.
August 27, 2009 11:06PM
Well, my wii does not work.
It starts, so technically works.
It's bricked in that the system is stuck in Japanese mode.
No homebriew (I deted, thinking/hoping it would fix it).
Can't install home brew.

To me, my wii does not work anymore.
I can't use it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login