Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wii region change by mistake

Posted by jdtanner 
Re: wii region change by mistake
August 29, 2009 06:25AM
You are and will be fine as long as you wait and do what MattMan said you will be fine. if you have system menu version <4.1 there should be a game with menu 4.1 by now. otherwise just wait, maybe try bannerbomb and the twilight hack again.
Good Luck
August 29, 2009 06:55AM
if your wii freezes with the banner bomb exploit try all the files in the bannerbomb page
August 29, 2009 05:50PM
It does freeze.
I tried each and ever version of bannerbomb. All freeze.
So, that's not getting me anywhere.
August 29, 2009 05:53PM
Mattman (or someone who knows of this):

I saw your post stating "Just update with a game disc of your region" on 8/27.
I did not understand that and others advised me on some things I understood and attempted. Just forgot about your suggestion.

Now, I had another suggestion stating "You are and will be fine as long as you wait and do what MattMan said you will be fine. if you have system menu version <4.1 there should be a game with menu 4.1 by now. otherwise just wait, maybe try bannerbomb and the twilight hack again"

So, that brings me back to the suggestion of "update with a game disc of your region".
I still have no idea what that means.
Could someone explain that to me?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2009 05:54PM by jdtanner.
August 29, 2009 06:53PM
What system menu version are you on currently? And what region where you on originaly? Either NTSC-U or PAL. So get a disc from whichever of those you used to have (i.e. a disc you probably already have) with an update higher than what you have now (i believe 3.2). So get a disc from your ORIGINAL region (i.e USA or PAL) with the 3.3 or 3.4 update (get Wii Sports Resort if you're in doubt - its a good game anyway), insert it and go to disc channel. Select Wii Sytem Update. Let it update. Restart Wii and you're on 3.4U or 3.4E, and the problem is solved.
August 29, 2009 07:05PM
Hey, that's a new one.
I can try that and have some (limited hope).
I did not do the "disc" think, but tried to update system via wii preferences. As it now thinks it is a Japan console, I hit a dead end there as it goes to the opera message thingy. Could not update.

I'll try that today and report back on my results.
August 29, 2009 07:08PM
Updating through System Menu would be a VERY bad idea anyway. It would update and still be in japanese. Then, because it'd be the latest system menu, it wouldnt let you update with a USA or PAL disc. You MUST update with a disc, of your own region.
August 29, 2009 10:00PM
I tried the disc update concept.
I can't do that either.

When I put in a disc (used Wii Sports as suggested), the Japan system rejects it I guess, has some Japanese writing (and about everywhere else also) which I can only go by what I recall being there and best guesses, my Japanese is not too good.

The disc does not show up, question mark and the two buttons at the bottom: one is back to wii menu and works while the second one on the right (which would I guess be play) is grayed out and can not be chosen. I have never seen a "update" within that disc channel, so maybe I am in the wrong place and without doubt do not know what I'm doing here.

What system was I: I can't say for sure. I can't reach the Wii settings anymore as when one tries to click that, instead of settings to see version, it says it can not reach the Nintendo Japan url and has some useless link suggestions for Opera help, etc. I do know I was in system 4 something, just don't recall exactly what version of 4 I started at. I'm US (Florida) if all that means anything here.

So, is the thing I'm attempting to do here: insert my proper US, came with the Wii Sports Resort into wii, power up, first channel is the wii channel and I select that and enter into that? (that's what I describe above). There, I see no way of updating and can't read the two buttons (one working - back, and one not as they are in Japanese type).

Tried various other things, most areas I can't read or they don't work.
I was surprised I was able to get to wii shop channel - and it's english. But, nothing that I can do about this problem in there as far as I could see.
Went to bottom Wii button rather than disc channel and tried to find a disc channel in there, don't see such, just memory of SD and wii memory and saves, etc.

Did I do the proper thing I should have?
I just don't ever recall seeing a "update" in a disc channel, so I could be missing something here (I hope).
August 29, 2009 11:50PM
What do you mean "came with Wii Sports Resort"? i'm not talking about Wii Sports that came with the Wii, I'm talking about Wii Sports Resort, that you have to buy. Its the sequel. Wii Sports doesnt have an update, so thats why the update button doesnt appear. Basically, what should happen is this :

1. Insert USA copy of Wii Sports Resort (or other game with 3.4 update)
2. Wii will turn on
3. Press A at health screen
4. Goto disc channel (top left channel)
5. Above the "play" button there will be another button which is System Update (both will be in Japanese most likely)
6. Press it, let it update, when its finished, restart the Wii
7. Voila! A 3.4U Wii.
August 30, 2009 12:12AM
SifJar
5. Above the "play" button there will be another button which is System Update (both will be in Japanese most likely)
7. Voila! A 3.4U Wii.
Actually I believe once you select the disc channel there will be a popup that says something about pressing A to update or holding the Power button for 4 seconds to cancel.

Also, if you are on 4.something, it won't let you update because it's a higher level then the disc
August 30, 2009 12:15AM
Maybe, whichever way, make sure it updates.
August 30, 2009 12:50AM
I had a similar problem before. You're in a bit of a predicament, but your Wii is not dead. At this point, there are two things you can do:
1. Do you have Bootmii and a NAND backup? You could just restore the system to a previous working state, with its original region and system menu.
2. If you don't, reinstall the HBC using bannerbomb and the Japanese region Hackmii installer (which SHOULD run) and then run AnyRegionChanger from there (I hope you or someone you know knows Japanese), and use that to return to your original region. Then you can remove the Japanese Hackmii installer and use your original one to get the English HBC. And then finally, use a game disc from your region to update. Your Wii should be back to normal.
Hope this helps!
August 30, 2009 01:06AM
intrepidd1
2. If you don't, reinstall the HBC using bannerbomb and the Japanese region Hackmii installer (which SHOULD run) and then run AnyRegionChanger from there (I hope you or someone you know knows Japanese), and use that to return to your original region. Then you can remove the Japanese Hackmii installer and use your original one to get the English HBC. And then finally, use a game disc from your region to update. Your Wii should be back to normal.
Hope this helps!
The HackMii Installer is not a specific region. I don't know where you got that idea.. And you don't need to give anymore advice since there are already suggestions on what should work.
August 30, 2009 12:57PM
Bannerbomb didnt work for him and there is only one HackMii Installer, which works wih every region.
August 30, 2009 07:12PM
SifJar
What do you mean "came with Wii Sports Resort"? i'm not talking about Wii Sports that came with the Wii, I'm talking about Wii Sports Resort, that you have to buy. Its the sequel. Wii Sports doesnt have an update, so thats why the update button doesnt appear.

OK. Sports Resort!
I obviously had that wrong in my mine using the Wii Sports which comes with the system (at least when I bought mine).

That may be a wise investment. I don't have the game but was going to buy it already, so now's the time.
I'll buy that this week and try that and let ya'll know how that goes.

Thanks.
August 31, 2009 04:32PM
SifJar
What do you mean "came with Wii Sports Resort"? i'm not talking about Wii Sports that came with the Wii, I'm talking about Wii Sports Resort, that you have to buy. Its the sequel. Wii Sports doesnt have an update, so thats why the update button doesnt appear. Basically, what should happen is this :

1. Insert USA copy of Wii Sports Resort (or other game with 3.4 update)
2. Wii will turn on
3. Press A at health screen
7. Voila! A 3.4U Wii.

The above instructions, pretty clear. I can do that.
As already stated, I'm going to by Wii Sports Resort soon to achieve that.

Then, pardon my ignorance, what will happen.
Will I still be in a Japan system?
I would think so. But, I assume your saying after that disc system update I should be able to install home brew via SD card and the run AnyRegion Changer - is that what you expect will/could occur???
August 31, 2009 04:40PM
No, you will have an NTSC-U system, which means that everything will be in English again and that you can use BannerBomb again.
August 31, 2009 05:12PM
The disc will contain the USA System Menu, and install it, which will bring you back to USA, away from Japanese. The update should fix your Wii, without the need to then install homebrew.
August 31, 2009 05:37PM
Sounds great.
Almost too good to be true, not that I don't believe you folks.
I've just lost hope here and there, but I'm very hopeful now.

Above, you say "no need to install homebrew", meaning I don't need homebrew to run AnyRegion Changer as I will be back in my own region, correct?

I hope your not telling me not to install homebrew once I'm all fixed up.
I was and remain very intrigued by homebrew.
I'm just into all the internal guts and things one can do with it.
I do the same in other areas: my computers, my ps2, my phones, etc. I just like these inside things.

I think I've learned my lessons.
NO DOWNGRADE being my most important lesson.
So ... I hope you folks think I should go back to homebrew - I think I'll be OK here on out.
And, as a member of this forum, I'll be asking the right people about things I don't understand.
Before, I thought I could figure it out myself - that was not true.
August 31, 2009 06:23PM
Yeah, you can install homebrew, go ahead, I'm just saying you dont NEED to because your wii should be fixed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login