Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wii region change by mistake

Posted by jdtanner 
Re: wii region change by mistake
September 02, 2009 03:15PM
OK.
Bought the new Wii Sports Resort.

1. Insert USA copy of Wii Sports Resort (or other game with 3.4 update)
2. Wii will turn on
3. Press A at health screen
4. Goto disc channel (top left channel)
5. Above the "play" button there will be another button which is System Update (both will be in Japanese most likely)

I get this far.
There is no play button, only back (all in Japanese, but position tells me what they are). The normal play button to the right - greyed out inactive.
It appears to me that this Japanese system will not allow a non-japanese disc to be alllowed.

Well, is there a plan B on this front?
September 02, 2009 03:40PM
Also, forgot a couple details you may ask.

The disc channel: just the big ? with a short Japanese phrase below it. I would guess saying the disc if of the wrong region.
And the button above:
5. Above the "play" button there will be another button which is System Update (both will be in Japanese most likely)

There is nothing up there.
September 02, 2009 05:43PM
Hmm, it should still show up despite being wrong region...do you have any Japanese discs? If so, insert one and see if the banner displays. It sounds like your wii isnt reading discs at all.
September 02, 2009 05:59PM
No. No japanese discs.

Prior to downgrade, which at the final, fatal step, it asked "would you like to update your region", which I by mistake said Yes to, any and all discs worked fine.

I would not suspect that, but who knows.

If you feel this is a real posiblitiy, how/where would I get a Japanese disc?
September 02, 2009 10:13PM
ebay, amazon, Japan :)
September 02, 2009 10:21PM
jdtanner
No. No japanese discs.

Prior to downgrade, which at the final, fatal step, it asked "would you like to update your region", which I by mistake said Yes to, any and all discs worked fine.

I would not suspect that, but who knows.

If you feel this is a real posiblitiy, how/where would I get a Japanese disc?
[www.play-asia.com]
September 09, 2009 04:01PM
Well, I'm getting near the end on this matter I think.

Having tried all your folks suggestions (except Japanese Disc) without any luck, I am considering sending it to be fixed.
Awaiting their final details, but it appears modchipman will attempt to fix via bios for 60-70 plus shipping but no guaranteed.
They say putting a modchip in WILL fix matter, 100% (I don't understand all this, trusting their statements and thus asking you folks if this makes sense to you guys).
The modchip cost plus install would be about 80-90 plus shipping.

Without sending out, I've spent $50 on a wii sports resort disc and was about to spend more for a Japanese disc (neither of which I wanted, just want my wii back). So, that way I was going to spend 80-100 with no guarantee of fixed wii.

I did not want to spend 100 or more. Figured at those costs I'd trash my wii, save and get a new one.

So, do you folks think modchip will work?
September 09, 2009 06:20PM
If the repair is cheaper, go for the repair. No need to open up your wii and risk physically damaging it with a modchip, especially seeing as it seems the disc drive is faulty. I'd say send it in for repairs.
September 09, 2009 10:51PM
jdtanner
Well, I'm getting near the end on this matter I think.

Having tried all your folks suggestions (except Japanese Disc) without any luck, I am considering sending it to be fixed.
Awaiting their final details, but it appears modchipman will attempt to fix via bios for 60-70 plus shipping but no guaranteed.
They say putting a modchip in WILL fix matter, 100% (I don't understand all this, trusting their statements and thus asking you folks if this makes sense to you guys).
The modchip cost plus install would be about 80-90 plus shipping.

Without sending out, I've spent $50 on a wii sports resort disc and was about to spend more for a Japanese disc (neither of which I wanted, just want my wii back). So, that way I was going to spend 80-100 with no guarantee of fixed wii.

I did not want to spend 100 or more. Figured at those costs I'd trash my wii, save and get a new one.

So, do you folks think modchip will work?

With all the money you will be spending, just send it to Nintendo. Its easier, and more reliable. Is it still under warranty? Even if not it's better than wasting money on something that may not work you never know...
September 10, 2009 02:58PM
Sending to Nintendo: can't do that.
Well, I guess I could, just would have to pay them also. Looking for a company who deals with this. I suspect Nintendo would not be thrilled with my explanation of what I did.
My wii is one of the first. Got it a long time ago and out of warranty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2009 02:59PM by jdtanner.
September 11, 2009 04:28PM
jdtanner
Sending to Nintendo: can't do that.
Well, I guess I could, just would have to pay them also. Looking for a company who deals with this. I suspect Nintendo would not be thrilled with my explanation of what I did.
My wii is one of the first. Got it a long time ago and out of warranty.

Mines was out of warrenty and they repaired it for free (this was a problem with my disc drive) but in your situation, they may require a fee, but I'm sure it would be better than buying a new japanease game to fix it, and it may not work
September 15, 2009 05:19PM
Well, I called and emailed various companies about someone with experience with my problem fixing my wii.
Few replies and few "experts". But one company gave me the impression they most likely could fix my wii.
Modchipman: seems like a good guy. I have sent me wii out and anxiously await their looking at it.

I'll let everyone here now what they say and do for others future education if someone gets into my situation.
October 22, 2009 10:30PM
Well, final note on my problem.
Totally trashed.
I did send it to a company who thought they might be able to fix it but they were not able to do so.

So, I have to get a new wii now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login