Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sega CD on Wii?

Posted by corey89 
Sega CD on Wii?
November 28, 2008 09:19PM
Do you guys think we will say Sega CD emulated on wii?

I know the coder of Genesis Plus GX has said a few times that we shouldn't hold our breath for it, but the same was said about pc engine cd and that popped up and was well done in record time. Of course keeping in mind they are 2 seperate systems, it was said we shouldn't hold our breaths for that either in Hu-Go.
Re: Sega CD on Wii?
November 30, 2008 03:41AM
Sega emulation is possible, reading the cd is impossible AFAIK. I dont think the drive is physically capable of it.

only reads dvds not cds.
November 30, 2008 07:19PM
Well, somebody can copy the contents from megacd games to a dvd. The emulator could read from there.
November 30, 2008 07:26PM
symbiant
Sega emulation is possible, reading the cd is impossible AFAIK. I dont think the drive is physically capable of it.

only reads dvds not cds.

true, Nintendo (in their infinite wisdom) decided to make it incapable of reading CDs. SO the emulator would have to read .bin or .iso or .img files from a USB, SD or DVD.
December 02, 2008 03:46PM
As emulating a PS1 is not only being able to manage the dual-shock controller, emulating the Sega-CD requires lot more stuff than just being able to read CDs or ISO/MP3 or whatever you want...

To be clear, emulating Sega-Cd, even if you think this is just a Genesis expansion, require to emulate a whole complete new system (a CD unit but also a CPU+memory+Sound Hardware+Video hardware)

The original Hugo already had "complete" Turbo CD support through ISO and WiiEngine is more or less an advanced port of Hugo

On the contrary, the original Genesis Plus did not have Sega CD support, which require to write the entire code from scratch to emulate it or port another emulator : actually, the only opensource and portable Sega CD emulator I have in mind is PicoDrive (which is itself derivated from Gens).

Always remember that ALL current emulators are only port of existing emulators, with more or less modifications... and that the restrictions you often have in mind (controller buttons mapping, CD support,...) are generally the last worries for developpers...
December 02, 2008 04:26PM
thank you Ekeeke, nice to have you on the forum...
December 02, 2008 08:41PM
What was the Sega CD emulator on Xbox 1 based on? I think it was called neogenesis or something, and ran many games more or less full speed
December 03, 2008 09:59AM
no matter how it was renamed, it was a simple port of Gens... the advantage of Xbox is that it can run any PC emulator (even those written in x86 asm which is gens case) with minor modifications, hence why you got so many & various "xport" emulators .... no magic in there

porting to the wii require a portable emulator (which means, written in C or C++, no asm) and more work

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2008 10:01AM by ekeeke.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login