Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii linux on Usb Hard disk

Posted by pentolino 
Wii linux on Usb Hard disk
December 15, 2009 03:31PM
Hello everyone,
I successfully set up a wii-linux distribution using the files from gc-linux (whiite); it works well and I' m able to boot it directly through bootmii using mike's image.
For several reasons I would like to move all but the bootstrap to an external usb hard disk, mainly because of risk of SD card tearing and limited capacity (1GB) of the only one I have able to be booted through bootmii (I have another 2GB but it won't work with bootmii).
I managed to create the needed partitions, adjusted their size and modified the boot image to look into the correct device and the linux system starts as if it was on the sd card, only much faster and with far greater file system size; I can login in ssh, apt-get and everything else.
The problem I can't get rid of is that after a few (3-5) minutes for some reason the usb drive is quickly unmounted and remounted, resulting in a kernel panic and a stuck system!
Does anyone know if I'm trying to do something wrong? I thought that the most difficult part was to start the system, not to keep it on! :-)
Any hint is appreciated, thanks :-)
Regards.
pentolino
Re: Wii linux on Usb Hard disk
December 17, 2009 09:37PM
Hi,

There seems to be a known problem with usb hard disks spinning down and disconnecting themselves when inactive.
Someone posted his experience with that on gc-linux's developer mailing list:

[thread.gmane.org]

Cheers,
isobel
Re: Wii linux on Usb Hard disk
December 20, 2009 11:54AM
Thanks Isobel,
I think this is the right advice, as I read from: [www.debianhelp.org], something like the script on that wil do the trick; I would rather suggest to use a little different approach, that is simply put a command like this in crontab, to be executed every minute or two.

touch /media/YOUR_HD_NAME/.keephdactive

Or maybe I will try the other approach using sdparam.

Currently I have little time to test everything (I will start over with the recent lenny distribution anyway, but probably not before next year), but if I manage to get this all working with direct boot through bootmii and maybe wifi networking I will write a small tutorial on this topic, hoping this could be integrated into gc linux tutorials.

Bye,
Pentolino
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login