Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gecko OS and .gpf files

Posted by elmoreas 
Gecko OS and .gpf files
January 26, 2010 02:48AM
Hey all, I was surfing cheathappens and found that they now carry codes and trainers for the Gecko OS. The thing is I don't understand the whole trainer bit. I know what they are and how they work on the PC, but not on the Wii. Apparently they use a file type called .gpf that is loaded as a cheat in Gecko OS by adjusting the settings. I was wondering if 1. Anyone had used a .gpf file on Gecko OS before? 2. If they are safe and stable? And 3. If they work as advertised? The instructions on the site were fine, so I know how to do it. I am just curious about safety, functionality, and people's experiences with them before I give it a try. Thanks in advance to those that help.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

EDIT: P.S. - .gpf stands for Gecko Patch File in this case, FYI in case there is another .gpf acronym out there in use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 03:08AM by elmoreas.
Re: Gecko OS and .gpf files
January 26, 2010 03:49AM
The only cheats in Gecko OS I know of are .gct files.. But to make your own codes for Gecko OS you need a USBGecko.

EDIT : Grammar fail :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 03:50AM by bg4545.
January 26, 2010 04:38AM
No check out cheat happens Wii section and look for trainers they are .gpf I am 100% certain as I read the instructions. Its not a grammer error or a typo. I know what a .gct is I am talking about a .gpf. They are 2 different thing. Here check this out. [www.cheathappens.com] It is a for real thing, trainers for the Wii using Gecko OS using a .gpf file I just wondered if others had done it and what they thought of it and its safety and stability. Thanks.

Elmoreas
January 26, 2010 04:42AM
bg4545
The only cheats in Gecko OS I know of are .gct files.. But to make your own codes for Gecko OS you need a USBGecko.

EDIT : Grammar fail :P
He's actually right about these .gpf files:

Wiibrew.org
Multidol games work through Gecko's game loader, rebooter is no longer required for them
To ensure games are fully functional the game loader now uses the IOS requested by the game (as a result there is no 002 error, that error is due to game loaders booting a game with the wrong IOS)
If a game requests an IOS that you don't have, the game's update partition will be searched for the IOS and the option to install the IOS will be given if it is found (if you have a modchip, turn off update blocking!)
It is now possible to select not to load the debugger, which increases the number of code lines allowed by Ocarina
New hooks have been added so that most (if not all) Wii games can be hooked
Rebooter will use the hook selected on the config menu to hook games
Rebooter is now compatible with preloader
The menu interface has been improved, and you can load a custom background by creating a 640x480 PNG-24 file, naming it background.png, and putting it at the root of your SD card
The menu configuration can be saved, and the saved configuration will be loaded automatically when Gecko starts
A configuration file can be created for game specific settings like hook type
New code types are supported by the code handler
GPF (gecko patch file) support
I'm not sure how one would go about using one of these files, though.
January 26, 2010 04:55AM
WaxyPumpkin72
I'm not sure how one would go about using one of these files, though.
Yeah, me either..
January 26, 2010 05:02AM
After a little bit of googling, it would seem as if you put the .gpf file (patch file) in a folder called "patch" on the root of the SD card. Once you do this, launch gecko os and navigate to the "Conifig Options" and then change the "SD File Patcher" option to "Yes." After that, launch the game and the patch should apply.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 05:03AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
January 26, 2010 05:15AM
What's the point of the patches? What's the difference of using patches and using codes?
January 26, 2010 05:26AM
bg4545
What's the point of the patches? What's the difference of using patches and using codes?
I have no clue. I honestly don't see the point.

I guess elmoreas will be the one to figure that out. ;)

Edit: As far as I can tell, it makes no difference. After a little more googling, it seems like a completely pointless thing. Its just some codes bundled into a little package, like a .gct file. You may as well just use .gct files, there's really no advantage of using the gpf files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 05:58AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
January 26, 2010 08:39AM
Thanks that is all I needed to know. I was curious about their usefulness, safety, and history. Apparantly they have none, so its best to avoid them. Glad I asked before trying. Just going to stick to codes from now on. BTW I found codes on cheat happens that are not on Wiird's database or forums that work just fine, and they claim to screen their codes so you might want to check them out as a backup place for codes from now on. Later.

Elmoreas
January 26, 2010 06:42PM
elmoreas
BTW I found codes on cheat happens that are not on Wiird's database or forums that work just fine, and they claim to screen their codes so you might want to check them out as a backup place for codes from now on. Later.

Elmoreas
Cool, thanks for the info. :)
January 27, 2010 05:48AM
Gecko192.zip/doc/gpf file format.txt
In order to make a GPF (Gecko Patch File) you will need to use a hex editor. The file should be given named with the game ID and gpf extension and put in a patch folder, that is on the root of your SD card. Here's the patch file format as described by Nuke:

"[1 byte] - Number of patches (hex)

[4 bytes] - Patch Destination (hex)

[4 bytes] - Patch Size (hex)

[Patch X] - Patch data size of Patch Size

example

02 - Number of Patches

91000000 - Destination Address

00000002 - Patch Size (this example 2 bytes)

AABB - The Patch (size of Patch size)

91000004 - next

00000002 - next

CCDD -

The format will be just a hex blob like this

029100000000000002AABB9100000200000002CCDD

and saved to folder 'patch' on the SD card, with the GameID being the filename with .gpf extension, so for red steel jap, the file name would be REDJ41.gpf placed in folder 'patch'."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login