Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

tinysmb with linux

Posted by linus 
tinysmb with linux
December 11, 2008 03:42AM
Has anyone been able to use tinysmb with a linux samba server? Currently there are three applications that use this library Snes9x GX, FCE Ultra GX, Visual Boy Advance GX. If anyone has gotten one of these to work please post your smb.conf and setting.xml (or fceugx.xml depending on version). Ive tried everything I can think of without success.
Re: tinysmb with linux
December 11, 2008 06:50AM
tinysmb only supports Lan Manager 2.0 protocol - LM hashes. By default LM support is turned OFF in Vista, linux samba, etc.

I've rewritten tinysmb to use NTLM. You'll see this soon in libogc and I'll be adding it to the three emulators you mentioned.
December 11, 2008 05:46PM
I cant wait to try your new version, but Im using samba v 2.2.3 and that shouldnt have LM hashes disabled. According to the samba website LM hashes arent disabled until version 3.2. Ive added lanman auth=Yes to smb.conf just in case, but still no success
December 14, 2008 01:59AM
tinysmb uses port 445. Linux samba servers use port 139.

I made this change to smb.c recompiled libogc and used the new tinysmb lib with the libogc distro on the fceugc google code page to compile fceu version 2.0.4. I am happy to say my smb shares are now working.

This same result should be able to be achieved using port forwarding with iptables/ipchains but I couldnt get it to work.

It would be awesome to see a port selection option on future releases. This would mean changes to the tinysmb lib to allow for the port number to be assigned by the program, so if it doesnt happen I understand why.
December 14, 2008 05:53AM
This is interesting. Look it up - SMB over IP is supposed to be 445. SMB + NETBIOS is 139. We don't have netbios here which is why 139 doesn't seem like the right choice. Correct me if I'm wrong...
December 14, 2008 06:11AM
netmap registers the port as belonging to net-bios, but im not sure what that means. I only found this solution after reading the log file for samba it said "waiting for connection on port 139" then I saw a description of tinysmb gc on a german site and it listed that it ran on port 445. Ive read alot of samba information and it looks like the default port is 139.
December 14, 2008 07:45PM
Actually no. The default ports for linux samba are 445, 139, in that order. See this link for this section:

smb ports (G)
Specifies which ports the server should listen on for SMB traffic.

Default: smb ports = 445 139

139 is more of a "legacy" port - beginning with Windows 2000 MS moved to port 445 as the default for their SMB. And actually the legacy ports are 137-139, TCP/UDP. If your samba isn't working on 445 it's probably a firewall issue. Check your ipchains and your allowed services list...and other stuff =)
December 14, 2008 08:56PM
I was using samba 2.2.3 from the debian woody archives via apt-get install. I am running x-dsl on an xbox. That version of samba is depricated and very old that is why only the legacy port worked. After reading your post found a diffrent samba package from the mydsl testing repository it is version 3.0.25b and it uses port 445 so it works just fine with version 2.0.7. Thanks
December 14, 2008 09:06PM
Thanks for the follow-up. This information might be very helpful to others.
July 24, 2009 05:01PM
I apologize for posting to an old thread but could someone post a working smb.conf file to help guide me in getting this working?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login