Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ideal Sprite-Based Libraries

Posted by dancinninja 
Ideal Sprite-Based Libraries
February 22, 2010 01:33AM
Greetings all, I thought that I'd finally take the plunge and create an original wiibrew project. I've been helping others with theirs but now it's time for something more ambitious.

But! I need everyone's input. The game will be sprite-based. Which libraries should I use? Libwiisprite looks promising, but SDL looks nice as well. Before I get down to the coding, I'd like to first determine the best framework for the project. Thoughts? Votes for one or another? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some facts about how I would be using the sprites:
- The sprites would certainly be animated (not by the code, but by frames)
- There wouldn't be TOO many sprites on the screen at any one time (about 25 max, I'm thinking)
- There would not be that much hit detection (which is good)

I am reluctant to get into too much detail, because I don't want to promise something that I may not be able to deliver on.

Thanks all!
Re: Ideal Sprite-Based Libraries
February 22, 2010 02:00AM
If I were to program an original 2D game, I'd probably combine code from libwiisprite, GRRLIB, and libwiigui with some new game code written just for the project. More fun that way ;)
February 22, 2010 07:24PM
That's easy for you to say, but I have to learn the stuff first. I'm not 100% familiar with either one, so I wanted your input before I started studying, in order to save some time. But if you feel that all the technologies would be required, I'll get right on it. Thanks!
February 24, 2010 07:02PM
I'm using GRRLIB, it does everything that i need it to do and more. I cna't speak for the other ones, but in know folks on here use those too and speak highly of them.

They all can do pretty much everything you would need for a 2D sprite based game.

If you choose to go the GRRLIB route, i can probably give you a few tips and help get you started... I have modified a few things (raised shaddow text display using ttf fonts, etc) but for the most part i use the standard GRRLIB package.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login