Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Genesis Plus Working, FCE Ultra GX & Snes9x GX Not Working

Posted by ultimakillz 
Genesis Plus Working, FCE Ultra GX & Snes9x GX Not Working
February 28, 2010 09:07PM
I recently installed the Homebrew Channel on my uncle's Wii via bannerbomb, but I am having a few problems with emulators. Like I stated in the title, Genesis Plus works just fine, but the FCE Ultra GX and Snes9x GX emulators freeze at a black screen after launching them from the HBC. I am pretty sure that I placed everything in the correct location on the memory stick because I recently installed the HBC and the same emulators on my own Wii a few weeks ago.

I used the same file structure for all the emulators as per the readme files: files necessary to run the emulator are in "ms:\apps\emulator_name\" and roms are in ms:\emulator_name\roms. I have also tried formatting the SD card and replacing all the files, but I get the same results: Genesis Plus works like a champ, but the others freeze at a black screen. What can I do to solve this problem? Thanks in advance!
Re: Genesis Plus Working, FCE Ultra GX & Snes9x GX Not Working
February 28, 2010 09:13PM
"ms" ?
February 28, 2010 09:22PM
Sorry, old habits. I guess I should have put "SD" or something. I just ment the root of the SD card.
February 28, 2010 09:24PM
Don't the ROMS need to be stored like this:

root:/fceugx/roms

and

root:/snes9xgx/roms

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 09:26PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
February 28, 2010 09:28PM
Yes, the roms are stored that way for all the emulators:
root:\snes9xgx\roms
root:\fceugx\roms
root:\genplus\roms

~edit~
I just checked the file structure on my SD card and everything is set up exactly the same way. Everything is in the same locations. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 08:22PM by ultimakillz.
March 03, 2010 09:56PM
Sorry for the double post or bump, but I thought maybe a fresh set of eyes could help me with my problem. I still can't figure out what is wrong, even though my wii is set up exactly the same way. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
March 04, 2010 12:29AM
Well here is an idea if I have a problem with a app running, I look at another and set it up like it. So if gen plus is working set it up like it is, with the exception of roms. I just checked my sd card and this is how mine is set up. Mine is set both on the root of the sd card and in the apps folder. One thing I have also found with the current fce ultra gx you don't need a rom folder it won't see the roms at least well for me, so I had to dump my roms straight into the fce folder and they all showed up. sne9x is set up on mine this way both on root and apps folder it should be root/apps/sne9x gx/roms and your games should be here. I have had to play around with they way the files are set to get some apps to work. If you got it from the HBB it set up liek its suppose to be. Normally they should read, root/apps/fce ultra/roms,cheats,saves is how the old version was set up.
March 04, 2010 09:42AM
Don't you guys never read the README included with apps ? There is no "magical trick" ,setting up various emulators the "same way" or placing ROM files in multiple directories to get this working has no logical meanings.

(1) genplus will look for roms in sd:/genplus/roms or directly let you browse from the root if this directory does not exist

(2) snes9x/fceugx,vbagx will also look in a default directory (sd:/XXXX/roms) BUT you can configure the ROM directory in emulator settings. So better check your current configuration or delete the configuration file.
March 04, 2010 03:52PM
I have read all the readme files, and I have my file structure set up just as the readme file instructs. all three emulators have directories in sd:\apps and all three have roms in sd:\XXXXX\roms. Like I said, I do not have any problems running these emulators on my wii, and the file structure on my uncle's wii is set up exactly the same as mine. I know that everything is in the correct location because the Gen Plus emulator works just fine, but the others don't. Even if the roms were not in the correct location, wouldn't the emulator still run? Or would it still freeze on a black screen?

I have done just about everything I have read to fix this problem: formatting the sd card, uninstall and reinstall the HBC and DVDX, delete and replace the emulators, and place the roms in different locations (but I moved them back to sd:\XXXXX\roms when it didn't work). I don't believe it's a sd card problem or the Gen Plus emulator wouldn't work. I'm running out of ideas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 08:17PM by ultimakillz.
March 04, 2010 04:19PM

Even if the roms were not in the correct location, wouldn't the emulator still run? Or would it still freeze on a black screen?
I see, I missed that part ... if the emulator just give you a black screen when launching it from HBC then it has nothing to do with the location of your ROM files, it's a problem that occurs way before you can even attempt to load a game.

Try to reinstall DVDX using Hackmii Installer 0.6 , it seems to be a common (but unexplained) issue for some people using CIOS or/and old DVDX weird installation. The reason it works with genplus is probably because the version you are using has been compiled with older libraries that somehow react differently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 04:20PM by ekeeke.
March 04, 2010 08:21PM
I used the Hackmii installer v0.6 to install DVDX and the HBC. I have since uninstalled and reinstalled both and it still didn't help. The wii did not have any homebrew installed on it before so I know that it is not a cIOS or weird installation. I also used the latest versions of all the emulators as found on the wiibrew wiki, but I am not sure which libraries they have been compiled with. There was nothing in the readme files to suggest they wouldn't work with the Hackmii installer v0.6.
March 04, 2010 09:05PM
do older versions of the emulators work?
March 04, 2010 09:20PM
No I didn't. I have the same versions on my wii and they work fine so I didn't think it would make a differrence. I will try to find some older versions and see if that works. Are there any specific versions that you suggest?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 09:20PM by ultimakillz.
March 05, 2010 05:35AM
no not really, i was just curious to see if something in the new version is broke for you... if any of the old versions DO work, that might help narrow down problems...
March 17, 2010 07:22AM
I'd like to know if anyone has found a solution to this problem, as I'm having the same issue right now. Apparently, the only emulators I can't get working are Nintendo ones, ironically enough. This includes the two here and VBA, as well.

I did have a brief period of success, but that went away very quickly. After reinstalling DVDX and trying a lower version of SNES9X GX (4.1.0), I managed to finally load the emulator and try out a game. Of course, after pausing and restarting the game, the emulator froze with a black screen and refused to load since. I'm assuming that the other two emulators will give me the same trouble.

Further reinstallations of DVDX have done nothing, and I'm wondering if someone has found a solution that I missed.

EDIT: After getting some sleep, I decided to try even lower versions of SNES9X GX and went with 4.0.0, which worked perfectly. After leaving the emulator, I decided to test all the versions between 4.0.0 and 4.1.0 to see if they worked. Not only did none of them work, but now 4.0.0 gives me the same trouble as the others!

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here. The Genesis emulator works perfectly, yet these Nintendo ones still give me trouble. I'm not sure if my Wii version (4.2U) has something to do with it, either. Can someone please help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 11:19PM by Kadou.
March 20, 2010 01:38AM
I'm having this same problem as well for visual boy advance GX latest. I'm running 4.2U and have the drive that will not read dvd-r.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 01:40AM by neverant.
March 20, 2010 08:46PM
Well, I just found my problem: a USB device I didn't remember I had connected. I had set up one of those fitness games for my mom that required a USB camera, and I completely forgot about it while trying out homebrew. It's a wonder how I managed to get some of these things to even work.

So with that, I'd suggest that anyone having these problems double-check for any USB devices. Hopefully, someone made the same mistake I did. x_x
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login