Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GeeXboX issue

Posted by zephism 
GeeXboX issue
April 03, 2010 02:58PM
Hi all,

My partner and I recently purchased a black Wii console and after doing some googling on the subject, thought it would be cool to use it as a media player. From the sounds of things, GeeXboX is the most feature-rich and user-friendly media player for Wii, so after using Bannerbomb to load The Homebrew Channel with no problems, I downloaded the latest GeeXboX build, extracted it to the root of my newly formatted SD card, and tried to run it from within The Homebrew Channel.

After being presented with a black screen full of lines of text, the Wii shuts itself off without warning, and GeeXboX never loads.

As I'm completely new to terms like "IOS" I'm not sure if I'm doing it right... should GeeXboX be working the way I'm trying to run it, or am I missing a step?

Also, the SD card that I'm using is FAT32 instead of FAT, because it's an 8GB SD card.

And finally, I did a bit of research on the topic and tried setting the SD card's lock to "Write Only" but it didn't make any difference.

Any help on the topic would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Zephism.
Re: GeeXboX issue
April 04, 2010 01:25AM
I've also just tried installing the Homebrew Browser, and it gets as far as requesting the latest repository list then crashes with an exception. By comparison, I've been able to run Snes9xGx from the SD card to run public domain rom files with no issues. Any ideas?
April 04, 2010 02:03AM
Make sure you remove all external devices before you launch an app, like USB devices, GC devices, etc.
April 04, 2010 07:55AM
Thanks, I've been making sure I remove all devices but my results haven't varied much.

Out of desperation I ran the Homebrew Browser from the Homebrew Channel using a 512mb FAT usb stick and it worked, but wouldn't work from the SD card using the exact same method.

Still having zero luck with GeeXboX either from USB or SD.
April 05, 2010 06:46AM
Thanks for moving my topic... now I have to re-bump it just to get a reply...
April 06, 2010 04:54AM
Well, these are the least helpful forums I've ever been on. Thanks for nothing!
April 06, 2010 05:14AM
What is it exactly that you're trying to do? IIRC, GeeXbox is not the best media player. MPlayerCE is. Try and see if you can get that to work.

zephism
Well, these are the least helpful forums I've ever been on. Thanks for nothing!
Way to have a good attitude. Its only been a day or two since you've gotten a response. Be patient.
April 07, 2010 04:03PM
Also, what does the text say?
April 08, 2010 05:59PM
Hane you checked to see if your sd card is compatible?
[www.wiibrew.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login