Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Snes9xGX Crashes upon loading from a 7zip archive.

Posted by Blasingame 
Snes9xGX Crashes upon loading from a 7zip archive.
April 09, 2010 02:04PM
Hi, I was reading the Issues section for this, and came across my problem.
[code.google.com]

Is there a temporary fix for the new version, or is it a matter of downgrading to the last version and waiting for the next version with the problem being fixed? I get the crash dump screen, is it possible that I can send a log of my crash to the developers? If so how might I be able to do this?
Re: Snes9xGX Crashes upon loading from a 7zip archive.
April 09, 2010 03:28PM
A new version will be out shortly to fix the bug. Until then you'll have to sit tight.
April 10, 2010 12:36AM
I am also having a similar problem. I usually ignored the "update is available" prompt, even though it caused the emulator to freeze up several times, but just a few minutes ago I downloaded it and now the game I was playing will not load at all. I don't think the ROM is in any kind of zipped archive.

EDIT: I cannot believe this. I just retried it and my twenty-hour save file of Fire Emblem 3 is completely gone because I upgraded. The emulator does not seem to recognize the translation patch I have in the folder with the ROM - the game is loaded in Japanese. The other save file I had for a different game has been erased. What happened, and what was the point of updating?

I guess I should explain the sequence of events, so it is clear what happened.

I was playing earlier this morning. I tried to reset Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (running with a translation patch - the ROM was not hard-patched, but the ips was in the same folder as the ROMs), and as I went to the home menu, the update prompt appeared and caused the emulator to freeze up (which seems to be a common occurrence ever since I started getting that prompt about a week ago).

I turned the Wii on and off, went back to the menu, and finally answered "yes" to the update prompt because I was tired of it freezing the emulator. It seemed to update without any problems (the only noticeable difference was that the font changed), but Fire Emblem did not run. The first two times I tried to run it, it went to a black screen with code on it and reloaded to the Homebrew Browser in eight seconds (or it may have been the SNES9xGX menu, I'm not sure now). The third time, it went to a black screen and made a loud buzzing sound. I turned off the Wii.

An hour or so later, I came back and turned it back on. When I went to the emulator's menu, it gave me a prompt to update again, strangely enough. I accepted, and it seemed to update normally again. But when I tried to load either of my two SNES ROMs, they were fresh - there were no save files detected. The Fire Emblem ROM ran without the patch's effects (so it had no save files and was in Japanese). There were save files in the saves folder, but when I put the SD card into my PC and looked at the times they were last modified, it seems like the files were just created when I started the ROMs back up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2010 02:52AM by Hylian7.
April 10, 2010 04:17AM
Perhaps you should read the readme changelog before updating. 4.1.6 was a new port of 1.52, and with it comes all sorts of benefits. But with a few drawbacks, one of which is that 1.52 is incompatible with 1.51 snapshots. Not my fault, I didn't write emulator...

Then today I released 4.1.7, which didn't touch saves, but did fix some freezing that was happening on some games with the new port.

Homebrew can be a bumpy ride and authors make no guarantees how the things they churn out will work...
April 10, 2010 04:43AM
How could I have looked at the changelog before updating? And why would anyone assume that updating would delete all of their saves? But on the Wii emulator it feels like you're pressured to update as soon as the prompt comes up (because it causes the emulator to freeze so often).

I know you didn't write the original emulator, but it seems like the way you went about distributing the update. On the PC, if you want to get a new version, you'd have to go to that site and get it. On the way, you would learn that your old saves will be incompatible. But with the Wii, all you have is a window (that really should have the option to be disabled) telling you to update, and with no way to tell that doing so will delete your saves. I can't propose any solution since I know nothing about coding, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who got seriously screwed over by this.
April 10, 2010 04:55AM
You could go to the website(s) and find the changelog pretty easy. It's posted on WiiBrew with every update. Don't plead ignorance. And I've *hopefully* resolved the issue with the freezing you've experienced when the auto-update box comes up. I don't design the software to break, and I don't knowingly put out buggy releases. But, it happens from time to time. It's ultimately up to you as the user to find out what's changed, and to backup your save files.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login